PDA

View Full Version : How to present images on these forums?

TerryFord
02-11-2003, 10:23 AM
How would forum users prefer images to be presented?

see MGuerras message for pros/cons:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165&pagenumber=2

Skonk
02-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Personally i dont mind them opening in a new window, as long as there is no limit to the size (height/width) of the image. I also dont mind having a file size limit but the limit should be quite high, this been a site dedicated to graphics and all.

James..

paintboy
02-11-2003, 10:35 AM
i would prefer #2 but either 1 or 2 is cool with me.
as long as we are not restricted(within reason )to size
as a designer i appreciate the asthetics issue.....gotta look good too!

TerryFord
02-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Mmm, I don't have a huge problem with linked images, but I think that if a user wants to post several images, or a render and wireframe version, then seeing them together in the message is better. Plus it's a few less clicks per day off the thousand or so I'm already doing :)

if you want to see how inline images work have a look at:
http://www.cgtalk.com

Regards,
Terry

Skonk
02-11-2003, 10:47 AM
I think the perfect thing for me would be if u could post several small 500*500 images right into the thread, so ppl can post tutorials and things or as u said, a render and a wire, or shots from diff angles etc.. and then larger images with bigger dimentions and file sizes popup in a new window. Linked images from another server should also popup or show in thread but be forced to use the 500*500 limit to keep the forum looking nice.

James..

Zarathustra
02-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Well, I don't mind links but I prefer inline. Now that I've said that, I have to admit there are times when links are preferable:

When the image is HUGE!!
When there are multiple images
When there's animation
When the subject matter might upset some people's delicate and/or prudish natures

Alliante
02-11-2003, 03:42 PM
I prefer a shortcut "200-300 px wide" pic that links to a larger picture

TerryFord
02-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Well, I don't mind links but I prefer inline. Now that I've said that, I have to admit there are times when links are preferable:

When the image is HUGE!!
When there are multiple images
When there's animation
When the subject matter might upset some people's delicate and/or prudish natures

good points, but the poster can still post a link if any of the above things apply, it was the handling of the IMG tag and attachments that was the "problem" - fixed now though. Perhaps a posting FAQ or set of rules should be sticky-posted by the moderators. Not that I ever saw any abuse of the gallery on the old system.

Regards,
Terry

Hiraghm
02-11-2003, 04:21 PM
I would like it, I think...

if images below a certain size, say 320 x 240 and smaller, would appear in-line, but larger images would open a new window. And I would like it if all links to animations automatically opened an new window, even if they smaller than the still image limit for appearing in-line. That way while you wait for the animation to load, you can continue reading.

MGuerra
02-11-2003, 04:47 PM
We've adjusted the width of the forum table to accomodate the inline images now, so you should be able to see the images from within the actual thread. I don't know if there's a way to have it show "thumbnails" that can be clicked to open the larger image. I'll have to look into that one as well.

Skonk
02-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Much better :)

paintboy
02-11-2003, 04:55 PM
NICE JOB MIKE G!!!
what else could we think up for mike to do......;)
wunnerfull!
Hey spankdaddy? what did you do to lose yer "senior" status?
i notice yer just a regular member again now?
no more free lunches at the senior center for you pal:p

MGuerra
02-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Wow, I've been busy with little tweaks here and little tweaks there, but it's all starting to come together. As for the senior member thing, the bar's been raised... I won't tell you how the post rankings work now, you'll just have to wait and see...

Sorry SpankDaddy, you were still the first official "Senior Member" here...

novadesigns
02-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by MGuerra
We've adjusted the width of the forum table to accomodate the inline images now, so you should be able to see the images from within the actual thread. I don't know if there's a way to have it show "thumbnails" that can be clicked to open the larger image. I'll have to look into that one as well.

We have a vBulletin-based forum over at http://www.lwg3d.org. We have a PhP based upload tool that automagically creates a thumbnail and archives the images on our server. So it can be done. :)

MGuerra
02-12-2003, 10:46 AM
Really cool. I'll have to look into that one. Although, I wonder if people here would prefer that over the current showing of the "big" picture inline. Hmmm....

TerryFord
02-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Thumbnails? NOOOOOOOOOOO....

:)

Skonk
02-12-2003, 01:38 PM
Damn i didn't even notice it had changed :( i guess someone uppped the post level for senior hehe.

James..