PDA

View Full Version : cloud tut

cbreton49
05-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Hello,
I am trying to make simple clouds that an airplane can fly through and vision be blocked enough to not see the other airplane as he comes out of the clouds, does anyone have a tutuorial that will help me?
Thanks,
Carol

digimassa
05-05-2004, 03:34 AM
:cool:
on the top of this forum you find a "search" button, entering "cloud" brings this (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=160631&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

cbreton49
05-05-2004, 10:22 AM
thanks Digimassa, will give it a whirl

jin choung
05-05-2004, 12:57 PM
or i can simply be a bit more forthcoming and:

if all you need is a cloud that needs to obscure vision, you can export a single VERTEX from modeler and apply HYPERVOXELS to it and then texture the hypervoxel with noise (some great settings are in the surface presets for hypervoxels).

these things are fully volumetric, allow you to fly through and obscure vision.

you can even stretch the generated 'cloud' so that it is not so 'spherical'...

and if you needed to see this cloud from further away and want to 'sculpt it a bit', simply export a FEW verts from modeler and apply hypervoxels on them and you can get pretty good results.

mind you, don't use lots of points! start with like 1 and if you need more structure, go to like 5.

hypervoxels take a long time to render though so use viper.

luck

jin

cbreton49
05-05-2004, 01:07 PM
thank you jin for your reply, i am working on it. and thanks for the tip on the amount of points, makes a big diff i have discovered.
me

jin choung
05-05-2004, 01:25 PM
howdy and no problemo....

but if you're looking for really cool looking clouds that you need to see in their entirety before you go through it - that is, if it's not solely for the purpose of obscuring - you may want to look around for other techniques before committing to this one.

granted, it's the only method that i'm hip to to create clouds for this purpose but i'm certainly not an exhaustive resource on the subject.

luck.

jin

p.s. i've heard that you could fly through skytracer clouds but i've never been able to do that... it seemed that the clouds always remained at infinity from camera... but it may have been a mistake on my part. if so, this would probably net you what you need so that might be another avenue of research....

and one key to the bizarre settings is select volumetric clouds, for texture select ST_CLOUDS, set axis to Y and use the texture opacity to get a decent initial spread (that is, not 0% cloud cover and not 100%).