PDA

View Full Version : Help with modelling

philipsavage
05-04-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm creating a room with doors, architrave, fireplace, etc, all in mutiple layers. When I re-open the saved LWO file some of the layers (two in particular) do not retain their postion/location. If I flatten the layers, all is OK.
Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?

byte_fx
05-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Two possibilities come to mind (ok - three) ....

In modeler - go to the offending layers and under Detail>Pivot point make sure this is centered.

Also - again under Detail .... make sure the parenting (if any) is correct.

Try loading the object directly into Layout. If that works but an existing setup scene file causes problems then either a layer's position, parenting or pivot point must have been altered.

Never checked if saving an object from Layout alters the pivot point (suspect it doesn't) but I'm fairly certain using the 'Save Modified' action will.

Hope this helps.

byte_fx

philipsavage
05-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Hi byte_fx

I already thought about the pivot points, all the objects have the same pivot, although that should not matter because multi point pivots are essential in many objects.
Sending the layers to layout has no problems at all and there is no parenting.
I must have done something wrong , probably in another life and it's coming back to haunt me.

Cheers

mkiii
05-04-2004, 07:55 PM
This is happening im modeler before you load the object into Layout?

Hmm.

Are you absolutely SURE it is the same file, from the correct folder?

How big is the object? It isn't something really huge or really tiny is it? That can cause problems.

Do you have morph maps set up?

philipsavage
05-05-2004, 02:37 AM
Hi mkiii

The file is 260KB and it contains 9074 polygons, all 3 or 4 point.
It has 7 layers and has no morphs.

It must be an oddity because it is always the same two layers that move and I haven't managed to recreate with other models.

Cheers

mkiii
05-05-2004, 09:42 AM
If you want to send it as an email attachment, I'll try loading it into my copy.

I definately have never seen an object moving layers before. V Odd. :confused:

philipsavage
05-07-2004, 03:46 AM
Hi mkiii

Thanks for the offer, I've managed to get round the problem by pasteing each layer into a new object.

I trashed the original file so I can't send it to you.

Maybe it was a system problem, nothing to do with LW. I just
hope it never happens again.

Cheers