PDA

View Full Version : [8] On-Line Documentation Requests

Signal to Noise
05-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Not sure where this should be posted so if a mod needs to move it- thanks!

Okay, I've noticed a few things missing from what's suppose to be a state-of-the-art on-line help documentation file for LightWave [8]. I'm not sure if that was intentional or an oversight so I thought it would be a good idea to submit inclusions for a future doc update. Perhaps this could be the thread to do it in. At the moment I have to cross-refer b/w the new on-line help and my 7.5 hardcopy manual to figure out what does what if I a) don't know, or b) have forgotten.

It would be ideal if everything was accessible from one resource- the on-line documentation. The idea here is for everyone to get involved and list what they need included in the file.

And who knows, is the state of the current help file an indication of the hardcopy [8] manual to come? Perhaps we can prevent a substandard release of a manual we are expected to pay for if we choose to go the hardcopy route.

-----------

My list:

Paste Tool- I never used it before and decided to try it out. Did a search for it with on-line Help and nothing came up for it. Had to refer to my old hardcopy manual.

Skygen- It's listed in the on-line help but...the blurb seems to indicate that the plug-in is immediately available via the side menu bar. It doesn't inform the user that the plug-in has to be loaded first (as in 7+)! It took me a bit to find it and load it.

...more to follow...

Yog
05-04-2004, 12:56 PM
One thing that can potentially be a problem is the new help file is default menu orientented.

This means that if you Move a function, then want more information on it, you have to remember where it came from in order to look it up (other than using the search function).

I would have thought it would have been better to have the help file sections grouped by similar functions.

Finding some fuctions (even those not moved) can be a real headache. I wanted to see if there was any more done to particle effects. So I went to the Layout tab, nothing obvious at first. I eventually found it under Layout - Utilities - Additional - FX-Browser.

Also, please, please, please, include a "What's new" section. Unless you hear about it on the forums, the only way to find out what is new is to go through the entire manual. The number of times I have come across a new feature, only to discover it has been there for a couple versions, just that it wasn't flagged up as a new feature.

devin
05-04-2004, 01:36 PM
This is an overall note to the functionality of the system as opposed to a specific missing topic but the drop down menu system, while nifty, is very slow to use. If the dropdown/collapse was instantaneous, it would be great but waiting seconds for a dropped down area to collapse is tiresome. I like the system, it just needs to be a little bit better optimized somehow for speedy referencing.

Also, I agree wigh Yog on a "What's New" section. Is there a simple list anywhere? I've been going back and forth to Newtek's site to ref the video file list so that I can then hunt for the new features w/in LW.

Jockomo
05-05-2004, 01:00 AM
I know this will probably fall under the category of "things NewTek will not do because they're scared to look like noobs",

But if they just ask for help, they will get it. Rather than have William and a handfull of people proof the manual, if they just have a call to arms, and ask the community to pitch in and help write this thing, I would bet they would be amazed at how many people, including myself, would give up time and energy to make this right.

My suggestions:

1. Make a sticky thread asking for typos and suggested wording for additional information to be added to the document.

2. Put the existing document online, and modify it there.

It's ok if it is not finished guys, we know it is not finished, we can live with that and are willing to help... or you could just say, "Lightwave has never been better!" and ignore us altogether.

Jockomo
05-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Background booster could use some additional information, like when and why would you use it.

firstsingle
05-05-2004, 10:51 AM
I went to the Documentations folder and noticed that the content pages i was looking for had not been included. It's many to name. Almost all the ones with long names are missing " File cannot be found or an error message comes up.

firstsingle
05-05-2004, 10:58 AM
It's way to many pages missing. Almost all are about the new bone features. Is there a place to download a new one?

mechis
05-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Is it just me, or are a lot of tool locations not where the help file says they should be?

For example, look at the entry for "Move Pivot".

It says:
To move the pivot point in Layout:

1 - Select the object.

2 - Select Modify > Move Pivot

When I select modify, I don't see a button for "Move Pivot"
Anyone else?
~Mechis

Signal to Noise
05-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by mechis
...When I select modify, I don't see a button for "Move Pivot"
Anyone else?
~Mechis

I have an unmodified install of [8]. I do have the Move Pivot tool as stated. It is the second button under the Translate menu (Modify tab).

If you don't see it did you accidently remove it while customizing your menus?

mechis
05-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Well, would you look at that... maybe I just blocked it out of my mind or something. There it is. Thanks. I guess next time I'll have to take a closer look.
Thanks again,
~Mechis

ACLOBO
05-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Jockomo
I know this will probably fall under the category of "things NewTek will not do because they're scared to look like noobs",

2. Put the existing document online, and modify it there.

It's ok if it is not finished guys, we know it is not finished, we can live with that and are willing to help... or you could just say, "Lightwave has never been better!" and ignore us altogether.

This is the last thing we need - a lot of people contributing to a manual that is already in the works - I doubt a bunch of different people pitching in that aren't getting paid would help much. I do understand your sentiment thought Jackomo, and it is a nice one.... You just need to have patience like the rest of us..

-Adrian

Jockomo
05-06-2004, 01:17 AM
I don't mean to let the general public modify the document.
I just think they should make this thread sticky. I also think they should make an offical sticky Lightwave 8 bugs thread with confirmed bugs and workarounds.

Jockomo
05-10-2004, 11:41 AM
GraphEditor> Adjusting the Curve

Near Graph Editor Options the picture shows a button that says "More" which has been changed in the program to read "Options"

WilliamVaughan
05-16-2004, 10:46 AM
from teh online help:

Once something is in the memory buffer, you can click the Paste in Place tool (Edit > Paste in Place) (ctrl +v) to paste the contents back into the layer. The memory buffer is not reset after pasting. Thus, you can paste the contents multiple times. The buffer contents change only when they are replaced by a subsequent cut or copy. For interactive pasting, use the Paste tool (Edit >Paste).

This was found under the :
Modeler Edit Menu

Basic Point and Polygon Maintenance: Cut, Copy, Paste, Paste in Place, Delete

Signal to Noise
05-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Hi Proton,

So are you saying there is a section about the Past Tool in the on-line documentation? But in order to find it I'd have to key in "Modeler Edit Menu"?

I can't check right now but will do when I get home this evening. If that's the case then I think we need to expand on the key word searching terms by using words like the tools themselves if they are contained within another part of the help file.

FONGOOL
06-13-2004, 10:06 AM
BESM: help docs barely bother to describe what it's for. No mention of the controls or how to use it at all.

Presets: I couldn't find out how to load them into the preset shelf from my hard drive, or even how to open the preset shelf at all! The docs said "click on the preset button to open it". That's nice except it didn't say WHERE that "button" was (I had to hunt through every tab, then all the pull down menus before I found it under "window". Not really a "button" at all. )

Man, I wish I could remember all the other things I either couldn't find or found info so meager as to be useless... Oh well, if I remember them or encounter more I'll post 'em here...

Steve

Vincent Brumbac
06-13-2004, 12:15 PM
What would be cool is if the Help File accessed the Menu Configuration. Then it could display where buttons are properly.

Cheers,

Vincent D. Brumback