PDA

View Full Version : maya user - questions about LW

ady
03-21-2003, 04:07 PM
i'm currently a maya user and i'm working in game design. I and a friend currently work on a game-engine and myself work on graphics. i saw the Lightwave and i'm tiking to try to make some of the stuff in it (animation, introduction movie, ...). so, regarding this i want to ask all of you some infos:

- there is someone here that uses also Maya ?
- what types of files LW exports, others than proprietary file types ?
- it has some UV texture-mapping facility?
- can i export AutoCAD .dwg or .dxf files ?
- it is here somewone that makes also 3D programming in OpenGL ?
:)

Rory_L
03-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Hello Ady,

If you get yourself Deep Explore all your problems will be solved! It is a comprehensive translator between Lightwave and Maya. I haven`t used it myself yet, but another friend of mine uses it all the time, because he really hates Maya and would rather do as much as possible in LW!

Yes, you can even export fully UV texture mapped and even animated LW models to Maya with this software!

My current project is finishing in a few weeks. From then on I`m going to insist to my boss that I use Lightwave at work! I`ll be exploring Deep Explore, er...deeply! :D

Good luck!

R

jin choung
03-22-2003, 03:26 AM
howdy,

yah, i use deep exploration as well and it can convert pretty freely between all kinds of file formats.

lw does allow you to export .3ds, .dxf, .obj but sometimes, you have to do some funky workarounds to get it to work properly. i highly recommend deep exploration from right hemisphere. but it's pretty pricey now.... (used to be cheaper before they got acquired by right hemisphere).

i use maya at work and a lot of people here work with maya and lots of other apps so if you need a lw equivalent of a maya command, go ahead and ask.

uv mapping and poly modeling in general is much faster in lw than in maya - my opinion.

i haven't seen a lot of opengl, graphics, game programmers around here though. you may want to check on "mod" websites for stuff like that.

luck.

jin

ady
03-22-2003, 05:54 AM
you're sure LW exports ".OBJ" files. Alias .obj files ?!?! this is a nice thing because we use .obj files in our game. unmodified ".obj"s.

faulknermano
03-22-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by ady
you're sure LW exports ".OBJ" files. Alias .obj files ?!?! this is a nice thing because we use .obj files in our game. unmodified ".obj"s.

use the Export Obj command in Modeler.

i use maya too, so dont feel out of place here. :D

jjburton
03-23-2003, 12:37 AM
I have to use Maya at school, but I do all of my modelling and UVing in LW. I just use the export to OBJ from Lightwave and I haven't had any problems going to Maya. A few pointers- Partnames from LW translate to objects in Maya.

Hey you Deep Exploration Users, can you take Maya animations into LW with DE? Thanks.

TerryFord
03-24-2003, 05:57 AM
I'm not sure if DE can cope with animation, there's a demo that's fully functional for 30 days, give it a try;

Deep Exploration (http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/)

It does require a Maya install to translate between .lw* and .mb/.ma though.

Regards,
Terry

manfriday
03-24-2003, 08:40 AM
what about using the .fbx format?
wouldnt that bring all the bones and animations stuff from lightwave to maya?

Rory_L
03-24-2003, 06:52 PM
You can take Lightwave animations into Maya. At a guess, I`d say you could do it in reverse too.

R

3Dementia
06-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Hello,

If you are wondering about integrating Lightwave OBJ's to Maya check this out...

http://www.cyphermesh.com/16.html

http://vimeo.com/5234712?pg=embed&sec=

If you cant view it, try downloading current update for Flash media player at Adobe.

To answer a few of your other questions...

- there is someone here that uses also Maya ?
yes, I do.

- what types of files LW exports, others than proprietary file types ?
Depends, LW can export OBJ's and you can migrate static variants of objects through FBX from Lightwave or Maya. Lightwave requires a FBX download though. You can also integrate motion with FBX. Problem with that is LW rig setups are bone defined-good for BVH and Maya rigs are joint defined...perfect for FBX formats. To aid in migrating motion, you might want to look into Point Oven. Remember that FBX needs joints inbetween its bones in order for rig setups to work. So if you have a rig thats defined by bones, you might have to re-rig your LW rig as a joint defined outcome for Maya to accept FBX data properly. Quick way to do this is write up code and create an exporter adding nulls between your bone defined setups to be mimicked as joints. From there, its all down hill for motion pipeline.

- it has some UV texture-mapping facility?
LW does have UV texturing mapping abilities as well as able to setup the UV's. I however, use Modo to do my UV's, its more intelligent and easier over Lightwave in my opinion.

- can i export AutoCAD .dwg or .dxf files ?
There is a third party plugin out there. I am not sure if LW-CAD aids in that factor or requires a different plugin all together. I normally use Maya for dwg and dxf integration then export props as OBJ's into Lightwave if needed.

-- it is here somewone that makes also 3D programming in OpenGL ?
I customize UI for animation rigs only...nothing drastic for OpenGL but to my understanding, Maya handles customized UI for character setups a bit better than Lightwave. Other than that, this is me taking a stab in the dark being slightly confused on this question. Might be a dud answer on this one.

3Dementia @ www.CypherMesh.com (http://www.cyphermesh.com)

dwburman
06-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Welcome,

LW does export .dfx but I don't recall if it exports UV maps with that format.

One gotcha (and this may have been fixed in a recent release) that I ran into was that if you create a UV map in Lightwave but don't actually apply an image to it, when you export it to .obj, the UV map will disappear.

Unlike Maya, LW doesn't need UV maps to apply image maps to objects. That probably won't effect what you're intending to do, but it may be helpful to know.

I've been using LW for a long time and I'm learning Maya. Modeling in Lightwave feels more immediate to me than in Maya.