PDA

View Full Version : Anyone? 50 layer fly thru

inventsoft
05-04-2004, 09:27 AM
I would like to find a way to do this, Slice an apple into 50 flat slices and take a photo(jpeg) of each flat slice. Load these slices into something that can stack them back up and the viewer would be able to fly thru the stack looking at each seed and the core and the inside of the skin. I have a need to build this with an interface like a game pad. The viewer would be in the scene which would only be the apple and some surrounding space. I would use lightwave or whatever program needed. Also I would like to build different types of apples.

djlithium
05-19-2004, 02:57 AM
There is a company in vancouver that I did some modeling work for that has an engine that uses voxel clouds to do just this.

The idea behind their product was that engineers would be able to "fly" through components in engines and see the actual parts like a catscan or other magnetic resonance imaging system.

The company was called i3D Corporation. Not sure if they are still around in the same form as before. The project I did was for a military application and that was one of their main clients. Of course with the canadian military being what it is I am sure these guys are more than likely out of business.
Do give them a google search and see what you come up with.

inventsoft
05-20-2004, 09:41 PM
I thank you for the reply and I will do some checking for it. I did do a quick search and found something like I3dvision and they have some type of CAD software where the object can be made transparent. Like I said I will continue looking , Thanks

kevix
01-26-2005, 11:47 AM
I thank you for the reply and I will do some checking for it. I did do a quick search and found something like I3dvision and they have some type of CAD software where the object can be made transparent. Like I said I will continue looking , Thanks

The company was called i3Dimensions.
It is now called NGRAIN, and is still in business.

james_dmi
01-27-2005, 01:51 AM
If you want to do this yourself and are ok with a little bit of script coding why not lightwave export as w3d then use directors 3d engine (which is hardware accelerated) and program the interface in director too. This is the sort of work I do so if you can find a solution drop me a line. dmi (at) dsl.pipex.com (change the at symbol)

Cheers

James