PDA

View Full Version : Swap Layers button by the layer bank

evenflcw
05-04-2004, 06:39 AM
I already sent this request to NT and even got a short answer :), but thought it'd be nice to hear what other people think.

Because I for some unexplanable reason can never remember the hotkey for the Swap Layers command and don't use hotkeys for other layer-related operations (I prefer to work with the layer bank buttons) I think a small button by the layer bank to swap layers would be perfect.

Matt
05-04-2004, 07:17 AM
A popup menu next to the layers with other layer related functions would be nice too.

Oh, and the hotkey is the ' key (apostrophe)! :)

Karmacop
05-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Good idea! :)

Karmacop
05-04-2004, 09:08 AM
I was just thinking, if we could add buttons there it'd be much easier to add a simple script that would do that. That way you could remove it if not needed, or even show say, the first 20 layers instead of 10.

Mylenium
05-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Well, I wouldn't fiddel with such a solution. The thing is, we already have a layer window but it's not very useful (and a bit redundant since the layers bar still is in place). All of those options you request should be part of a new and better layer window that could be docked on the top and would then appear as the layers bar.

Mylenium

Matt
05-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Have to say, I'm a layer palette fan, I like to see the names of what's on each layer.

Being able to re-order, colour code, group, lock etc. would be just the bomb!

Here's hoping in v9! :)

evenflcw
05-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Yes, a small customizable popup menu to fit even more commands would be even better than just a swap layer icon. My brain doesn't like having to dig around in the regular menus for layer commands. When I work with layers my mind automatically thinks "upper right corner, upper right corner", so steering it elsewhere is hard :)

An improved layer browser would be equally great, possibly even better, like many others I have it up always anyways. But like Matt, I work mostly with the layer palette, but that could change if the layer browser got a good overhaul. Being able to highlight and give commands through a RMB meny (customizable so we can add our own commands) would be a major workflow booster.

I've been thinking maybe NT should try and make a modeler-equivalent of the new Scene Editor which seems to do be able to handle so much now. A mix between the layer browser and vertex map panel - an "omnibrowser" that could handle almost any entity, be it objects, layers, surfaces, vmaps, with separate RMB meny for each entity. Through the use of instances you could turn off display for all but one type of entity and create your own separate layer browser or wmap panel. But that's maybe pushing it a bit too far :)

The ' key, ey! That's why I always found it so frustrating. I would love to have the hotkey somewhere in that area of my keyboard but unfortunatly I can't use those keys. Working on a swedish keyboard this key and most of the keys right next to the enter key don't work and can't be mapped at all. :/

badllarma
05-04-2004, 11:11 PM
What I'd like to see is for the layers to be able to be dragged outward so I can see more along the interface instead of the usual 10.

Drag a bar to the left of the first layer icon too the left and see more of the layers such as 15 - 20 along the task bar, sods law says I always seem to be working on two layers that I have to toggle page up and down on to work on them both EG 10 and 11 :rolleyes:

Karmacop
05-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Yep, that's annoying. Or I'll be using layers 1-12 ... I could easily fit 2 more layer buttons on the interface ...