PDA

View Full Version : Animating A Newton's Cradle

iamsontran
05-03-2004, 11:02 PM
I am trying to animate a newton's cradle and have the balls swing. I have been trying to do it but I don't know how to approach it. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Below is an image of the cradle.

HowardM
05-03-2004, 11:08 PM
hmm good idea to try bones, but instead try 2 pt polygons with Cloth tweaked to be tight? you could even make a few 2pt chains, so the wires will slightly bend!
then you can HardFXlink the balls to the ends.
take a look at the bungie scene that comes with 8!

err, that is if youre asking how to do this in 8?
:)

iamsontran
05-03-2004, 11:14 PM
i am using 7.5

iamsontran
05-03-2004, 11:34 PM
yeah i am still a bit confused on how to do this

evenflcw
05-04-2004, 02:11 AM
This kind of mobile has a real simple motion. Setting up and calculationg dynamics for something like this would be overkill, although I agree it could be fun to see how it works it out. :) A simple IK solution would be sufficent though (unless your planing something extraordinary). I suppose that is what you're working on already. I made an example scene (attached). The null in the middle are driving the other two which are the respective goals of the pointer bones on each side of the cradle.

iamsontran
05-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Hey thanks it works. I got off just like 5 minutes before you posted, but yeah I was trying to do dynamics. I am still trying to do it with dynamics so I can have it lose just a bit of momentum each time the balls hit and it doesn't look so right having the ball moving the same speed falling and raising. I am trying to set it up with motion designer right now or would there be something better to set it up in?