PDA

View Full Version : Add SELECTION to the UNDO stack!!!!

Chingis
05-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Add SELECTION to the UNDO stack in Modeler!!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've lost a precious selection. A simple yet much needed request.

evenflcw
05-03-2004, 04:39 PM
I've had this happen to numerous time. For the most part it happens when I try to hit a button but miss just slightly. So instead of adding selection to the undo stack, which I think might get frustrating as you will have to hit undo alot more, I'd prefer if they instead made a few designated spots to clear selection, instead of "just click anywere but the viewports". BETWEEN BUTTONS not being an alternative. :) This would all be optional, of course.

Another alternative would be to have a separete undo for selection altogether. Which should be easy to implement.

EDIT:
(nevermind) hehe

Dodgy
05-04-2004, 04:24 AM
It can be a horrible idea. They have this in maya and you can run out of undos just be getting your selection right.

They could maybe just add the last selection from after the last tool operation to the undo stack, as all the other selections are stored with their tool modification.

evenflcw
05-04-2004, 05:33 AM
"after last tool operation...", I might be missreading that and we might indeed still mean the same thing. Forgive me if thats the case...

I don't think it should be tied to tool operations in any way. For a single selection undo, LW need only continuously logg the current active selection and update that info as the selection is modified. So when active selection is eventually dropped/lost by clicking somewhere in the interface, this info will still be stored in that buffer, retrievable through a "Retrieve Selection" command or whatever you might call it. If you were to make a new active selection (after dropping the old one) or add to the old selection, this would immediatly update and replace the data of the old selection.

meatycheesyboy
05-04-2004, 06:13 AM
Would it be possible for someone to program an LScript that acted as a selection stack? Something that automatically stores say the last five selections, that you could just click through? This doesn't sound tough to me but I know very little about what LScript is capable of.

evenflcw
05-04-2004, 06:25 AM
I don't think Modeler Lscripts can lie active in the background as they would have to do for something like this to work, unfortunatly.

Chingis
05-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't mind a seperate "selection stack". The only problem with that would be having a seperate keyboard shortcut which would hamper workflow. I work in Maya all day long and I kind of like how you can click anywhere in the window to deselect. I prefer that to having to click on a select few designated places - I hate having to move my mouse across the whole screen to deselect. I can see how people would dislike the Maya way as you are more prone to losing your selection on accident, but the fact that it lets you deselect anywhere and undo is just better workflow. Trust me, I model in both packages all day long.

While I'm on the subject, I wish we had an option to turn off back face culling of selection in the shaded view. It also hinders workflow to constantly have to switch to wireframe view.
Oh, and one more - can we have a normal marque select tool in Modeler (like Layout)? Volume select is useless.

Chris

toonafish
05-07-2004, 06:07 PM
I use "SelectionPresets" ( http://www.trueart.pl ) which helps me quickly saving a point or polygon selection I don't want to lose or might wanna use again later.

It's not as good as an undo, but it helps and works faster then saving point selections and polygon parts.

Fish

toonafish
05-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Oh, almost forgot this one...

Try "TheDust_Deselect" ( http://utenti.lycos.it/thedust/plugins.html ) to deselect points or polys with a hotkey instead of clicking somewhere on the window.

Fish

Earl
05-08-2004, 09:37 AM
If you're working with a selection, and you accidentally lose it, you can always undo your last action (provided that the action was executed with the selection you wanted), then redo. It will re-select the polys/points that were selected when you did that action. Doesn't help if the selection you lost was totally new and unused, but the undo-redo thing has saved me from tedious reselecting at times.

Chingis
05-10-2004, 03:18 PM
I have the "Dust Deselect" plugin and it rules. It's one of those simple plugins that probably took 5 min. to code but saves hours.

I still think being able to click on any empty space in the window would be faster though.

THe guys over on the Silo forum were having the same discussion. The developer suggested a "Reselect" button that would just load the last known selection - aside from the undo stack, which would work well I think.