PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Shortcuts

Gregor
05-03-2004, 02:40 PM
I'd like the ability to assign to Alt + Letter and Alt + Shift + Letter shortcut sequences (on the PC). We can use Alt for the function keys, but not for letters?

Letter-based shortcuts are the easiest to remember due to the ability to mentally associate the sequence with the command it executes, but we are presently limited to three per letter: Letter, Shift + Letter, and CTRL + Letter. This would expand it to five.

Edit: Spellun Errarz

Chingis
05-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Totally agree. The lack thereof is just silly nonsense

richdj
05-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Hats off to you, if you can remember and realistically use on regular basis over 88 shortcuts (lower/upper case and ctrl + letter) I am indeed impressed. (88 is based on lower / upper case and ctrl + letter) oh god that meens that your using another 30 (118) shortcuts at least with the number selection, or even more with cntrl + shift + letter........ Come on, shirley (airplane pun) you can manage with what you have.....

I can and please don't call me shirley

richdj
05-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Forgot to say, I don't have 8, but intend to, at this time adjust the shortcuts to agree with 7...

Earl
05-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Richdj,

It's not that people run out of shortcuts and require the alt key combination, it's that some shortcuts (and variants) are easier to remember or access if they use the same letter (but with different modifiers: alt, ctrl, shift).

I too would like to be able to assign an alt + key as a shortcut. No reason this shouldn't be available to the user.

Gregor
05-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Earl
It's not that people run out of shortcuts and require the alt key combination, it's that some shortcuts (and variants) are easier to remember or access if they use the same letter (but with different modifiers: alt, ctrl, shift).

Exactly.

I seriously doubt that they would ever all be used. They aren't all used now. But I could make more meaningful shortcuts if I had more slots attached to the alphabetical keys.

evenflcw
05-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Yep, it'd be nice to be able to "group" more related commands under the same key. For example I have Weld on w, Weld At Average on shift+w and Unweld on ctrl+w. Alot easier to remember and work with (imho) than the defaults, which seem to have you jumping allover the keyboard whatever you're doing. I feel the same way about the default menus. But thats me :)