PDA

View Full Version : How do I register a LW8 upgrade

m_luscombe
05-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Maybe I'm just being dense here, but I haven't heard anything about my upgrade status yet.

I asked my reseller, and he sent me a link to a page to register my 7.5 upgrade. But I already have 7.5, so I don't have a new serial number to register.

What do I do?

I sat on hold for Newtek customer service for 30 minutes on Friday, and another hour today. The 800 number doesn't work in Canada, so this is getting expensive.

It's also a lot of footwork to expect a customer to do to get a hold of your product. My job should really be over after giving the reseller my CC number.

Thanks in advance. My private email is [email protected], if Newtek CS wants to reply privately.

Signal to Noise
05-03-2004, 12:22 PM
I may be equally as dense since your post doesn't make sense to me. I'll try to decipher and offer some tips...

First, your reseller should have registered your 7.5 with NewTek for you at time of purchase. If not then you can register with NewTek yourself providing them with all pertinent information such as address (important in order to get your [8] upgrade!), dongle ID, and 7.5 serial # or permanent license number. NewTek need this info to determine your status of elegibility for the upgrade and know where to send it to.

When and if you receive your [8] upgrade you'll get a new serial number. You will be using your existing dongle so you will then need to register [8] as well in order to get a new permanent license key. The 7.5 license will not work with [8].

Hope this makes sense.

Btw, in addition to phoning customer service (I assume you never got through to someone?) have you sent them an email?

m_luscombe
05-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Well, I've had 7.5 for a while, and it's been completely registered for over a year. When I purchased the upgrade, all I got was the bonus software (RealVis, in this case) and an Invoice that said "LW8 upgrade with Realvis".

The link that my reseller sent me asked for my 7.5 serial number and whatnot. I'm assuming that's for pre-7.5 upgrades.

Am I wrong? Do I need to reregister 7.5 for my LW8 upgrade? I spoke with CS prior to the release of 8, and they said that they have a record of everyone that purchases the 8 upgrade (which makes sense, right? they have to communicate with their resellers somehow.)

I haven't emailed them yet, I was kinda hoping I was just slow and this was an issue that had been dealt with previously. Certainly some folks that already owned 7.5 bought the 8 upgrade, right? How did it work for you?

Jean-Paul Lar.
05-03-2004, 12:35 PM
If you purchased an upgrade from LightWave 7.x to LightWave [8] through a reseller rather than directly through NewTek, then you may wish to confirm your eligible purchase with us and make sure that NewTek has your shipping address. You can do so on the page at:

http://online.newtek.com/LW8UpgradeEligibility.aspx

Please enter the appropriate information on the page, beginning with the serial number from your qualifying order.

You only need complete this form if you have purchased an upgrade from LightWave [7.x] to LightWave [8] through one of our Resellers, rather than directly through NewTek.

Note!!! You do not need to use this form if you purchased an upgrade from LightWave [6.5] or earlier version to LightWave [7.5], and have registered [7.5], provided us your current shipping address and received your permanent license key.

If you have only recently purchased an upgrade to [7.5] and have not yet registered, you will need to register, but by using the regular registration page, not by using the eligibility confirmation form. The main registration page for customers who register with the US Office is:

http://www.newtek.com/support/reg/index.html

If you register your NewTek product with the US office, you can use the above pages to confirm eligibility to receive the upgrade to [8] or to register a newly received [7.5], and to provide your shipping address for the upgrade to [8]. If you register with an international partner rather than with NewTek US, this page will not be able to confirm. Please see your international distributor's website for information and instructions.

just to let you know the serial number they want is a 10 digit number starting with 35 and for me it was on the package the realviz was sent in.not on the cd cases.hope this helps you out.it hasnt seemed to do much for me.:(

Signal to Noise
05-03-2004, 12:37 PM
I bought the 7.5 w/ free [8] upgrade and DFX+ bundle thru DMG Publishing.

So... I received my LW 7.5 & DFX and DMG registered me with NewTek. After installing 7.5 I sent an email to NT for my license and registered DFX+ w/ Eyeon.

A month or so ago NewTek sent me an email to confirm my mailing address and stated that [8] will be shipping soon. Last week I received my copy of [8]. I then had register [8] myself w/ NewTek in order to get my permanent license key.

Since it sounds like you purchased only the [8] upgrade along with RealViz then perhaps it will be bit longer before you see your copy of [8]. I think NewTek were rushing to get all the free ones out the door first.

If you have already received your [8] upgrade then all you need to do is register in order to get your new license.

Does this help?

[EDIT] Looks like 'toker-boy' has provided you with good info as well. ;)

m_luscombe
05-03-2004, 12:47 PM
I have not received LW8 yet, maybe that subject line is confusing. It's the upgrade order I'm trying to get registered with Newtek, since it's clear no one knows I bought it yet =(

The upgrade elegibility looks good, but it's US only. I did buy through a local reseller (since NT's online shop doesn't have any shipping options to Canada. We're a border away, you know *waves*)

The Realvis Packaging? Well, there was an envelope, which is long gone. There was the software, which is also long gone (sold). And there's the invoice, which is pretty much all I have as proof, but that doesn't have a serial number on it either.

Anyone? C'mon. This can't be that difficult. NewTek, my name is Michael Luscombe, check with VideoLink in Toronto and pop my upgrade in the mail, would ya? Thanks.

Jean-Paul Lar.
05-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by m_luscombe
I have not received LW8 yet, maybe that subject line is confusing. It's the upgrade order I'm trying to get registered with Newtek, since it's clear no one knows I bought it yet =(

The upgrade elegibility looks good, but it's US only. I did buy through a local reseller (since NT's online shop doesn't have any shipping options to Canada. We're a border away, you know *waves*)

The Realvis Packaging? Well, there was an envelope, which is long gone. There was the software, which is also long gone (sold). And there's the invoice, which is pretty much all I have as proof, but that doesn't have a serial number on it either.

Anyone? C'mon. This can't be that difficult. NewTek, my name is Michael Luscombe, check with VideoLink in Toronto and pop my upgrade in the mail, would ya? Thanks.

sorry to inform ya man but that envelope you threw away had the number you need to register your upgrade with on the link i posted before.
you need to fill that online form out.so your ganna have to phone newtek customer support or your reseller to get that number again and then fill out that form.I know it sucks i was in the same boat last week and sorta still am.dont email customer support phone them cause they never answered any of my emails and i tried once a day for like 2 weeks. :mad:

m_luscombe
05-03-2004, 01:03 PM
That might have been good information to have 3 weeks ago. Why put the serial on the envelope? Someone at the post office could have my LW8 upgrade by now.

I can't stay on hold to Texas all day. Not only is it costing me a mint, I have trouble working with my head bent sideways.

I just kindof assumed people had their stuff in order, so I haven't pursued this until now. Hopefully I can get this resolved online. I don't have an extra $100 to pay for customer service LD charges.

Jean-Paul Lar.
05-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by m_luscombe
That might have been good information to have 3 weeks ago. Why put the serial on the envelope? Someone at the post office could have my LW8 upgrade by now.

I can't stay on hold to Texas all day. Not only is it costing me a mint, I have trouble working with my head bent sideways.

I just kindof assumed people had their stuff in order, so I haven't pursued this until now. Hopefully I can get this resolved online. I don't have an extra $100 to pay for customer service LD charges.

I here ya man Im not looking forward to my phone bill thats for sure.anyway man i wish you the best of luck.:D

m_luscombe
05-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Can someone from customer support please email me?

I have emailed [email protected] with no answer in over a week. I cannot call the 1-800 number from canada. I can call the long distance number, and usually stay on hold for a few hours before I give up.

Today, the CS department is "unavailable" and the mailbox is full.

Is this some kind of scam or something?

I'm really just baffled. I ordered my LW8 upgrade months ago through Videolink in Toronto, and received my Realvis disks without a problem. I still have not received UVEdit by email, and I have no information regarding the status of my LW8 package.

Please, dear god, someone start looking at the customer service and retail channel at newtek. This is getting kind of pathetic.

My email address is [email protected]

If a CS agent would PM me their number and extension, I'll be happy to call you on my own dime. Or I can PM you my number, and you can call me, as I already have a hefty LD bill from the last few times I called.

I would love to confirm my order and get things moving, if only there was any way to actually get in touch with Newtek. My other two options are to back the charges off my credit card, or send a plea to the BBB. Both of which are unsavoury, and I would actually like to receive the upgrade someday.

m_luscombe
05-14-2004, 01:38 PM
I just wanted to post a follow up.

A CS rep from NewTek saw this thread and emailed me on Monday. We worked through some details, and she confirmed my address.

The LW8 upgrade arrived today by FedEx.

I wish that they had their partner channel set up a little better. It seems like if you purchase through a reseller, getting ahold of LW8 is quite a hassle, and, of course, if you don't live in the US, you have to purchase from a reseller. That's not a great way to operate. Either sell internationally from the NT site, or improve communication with your international resellers. One or the other.

You can not expect your customers to read through your forums to discover that the serial number for the product they just bought is on the shipping label on an unrelated product. That doesn't make any sense, and there was no effort to inform your customers before they threw out the envelopes.

Anyway, just wanted to wrap it up. Thanks to Karen at NT for spending the time to get this rectified. Kudos.

lux3d
05-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Same issue here...but thus far have gotten nowhere.