PDA

View Full Version : LW8 - any opinions on the hub yet?

Steve McRae
05-03-2004, 11:44 AM
still waiting for my copy -

have there been any upgrades or stability improvements for the HUB that anyone has noticed?

cheers,

GO FLAMES GO!! :cool:

Signal to Noise
05-03-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. Ever since I installed [8] last week I've let the Hub engage and run. Haven't noticed any problems yet. In 7.5 I disabled the Hub due to crashes and processing slowness.

Go Flames!;)

lasvideo
05-03-2004, 12:31 PM
I have been running the hub on 7.5a for the last 3 months and
more recently 8.0 for the last week. I have had minimal problems
that might be related to it or not. Im running XP home on a Dell 3.0 system. It seems very stable.

phil lawson
05-03-2004, 12:47 PM
I didnt have a problem with the hub with 7/7.5 and still dont with 8. Athlon 2600+, 1.5GB DDR and Win2k.

Cheers.

hrgiger
05-03-2004, 01:18 PM
I think the hub in 8 is SLOW as hell. Slower then it was in LW 7.5. It takes forever to update from any changes I make in modeler. I try not to work with with both modeler and layout open but sometimes it's nice.

Perhaps it's my system and Lightwave requiring more memory this time ( I have the minimum 512 MB of RAM) but I don't remember seeing the system requirements saying "512MB of RAM if you want your system to respond like a dog on elephant tranqualizers."

I'm really pleased with a lot of the new tools in 8 but I'm very disappointed with interactivity in Lightwave. The hub coupled with the slow animation feedback is killing me. I'm really hoping to see these things improved with subsequent releases of Lightwave.

brap
05-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Anybody else having this problem with a slow HUB in 8?
I haven't installed 8 yet, but if true, that would be a killer, as I use the hub all the time.

grundgedanke
05-03-2004, 01:51 PM
mhh, iīve to agree with phil. works well for me and i also havenīt had any probs with my 7.5c nor do i have some with my 8 release...

Jockomo
05-03-2004, 02:02 PM
An issue I hoped would be resolved has not.

It has to do with moving layers around in modeler after the object has been loaded in the scene, and working back and forth between the two.

What happens is this:

If you have an object in modeler and load it in the scene, each layer is loaded as an individual object. Layout apparently can't distinguish layers from objects.

If you go into modeler and cut a layer and move it to a new layer, then switch to layout, layout will leave what was originally that layer intact, and leave a null object in it's place (which will retain any motion set for this object). This is sort of ok and how I might expect it to work.

But when you go back into modeler and put that part back in it's original layer, it does not replace the "replacement null" with the layer. It creates yet another object in the scene.

Personally I feel that lightwave should keep layers consistant when moving back and forth from modeler and layout. I also think that if you cut an entire layer, leaving nothing behind, it should also take the layer name with it, and if it is being pasted into a completely clean layer, it should replace the layer name.

brap
05-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Scott,
Yeah, that little issue sure used to have me pulling my hair out when I first started with LW, having come from other packages. But you know, I learned to live with it, and I think it's probably going to stay that way until/if they change the basic Layout/HUB/Modeler setup.
Anyhow, since posting my question, I took some time out this afternoon to install 8, and I'm happy to report that I haven't had any HUB speed issues yet. Crossing my fingers... :)

-Jamie

mkiii
05-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I must say that I'm finding problems with the hub in 8. I rarely had a problem in 7.5

I always had the layer swapping/null substitution thing, but I can live with that because I know to avoid it.

However, since I have had 8 installed, I have been unable to force it to remember my modeler keyboard, menu and some plugin setups.

When Layout is running, and I swap between the 2 apps, modeler keys, menus & plugin settings are *partially* reset.

It seems inconsistent too. I change a setting, exit modeler, restart & most settings are remembered.

Annoyingly - one particular key assignment refuses to stick, and the default line colour (dark blue) is really starting to bother me now. The old default of grey was fine, and I want it to stay that way, but the blasted thing just won't remember the setting, so every time I create a new poly or mirror something, I get half grey, half blue - it's a mess.

Then there's the forgetting of the menu setups.... arghhh.

ACLOBO
05-04-2004, 12:02 AM
I happen to be very happy with the interactivity in [8]. I think it does overall feel faster than 7.5c.

THe thing that bugs me is some of the apparent holes in the app - bugs, workflow interruptions, etc..

Overall, it seems that it will be a powerful app when they get some issues worked out with the 8.1 or whatever patch.

-Adrian

papou
05-04-2004, 02:08 AM
i notice that the hub is automaticly saving object & scene file now.

Aquaman
05-04-2004, 05:51 AM
I've been having mixed results with the speed of LW8's hub. Sometimes it runs very smooth and updates layout nearly instantly and sometimes it takes forever to update a scene. It seems to be random and doesn't have a lot to do with scene complexity. I waill say though that LW8's hub is way more stable for me than 7.5b or c were. I've tried things that I could consistantly crash 7.5 with and have had no problems with 8.

A little of topic from this thread, but I've been having pretty significant interface feedback slowdowns with 8. It'll slowdown and hesitate when moving points on skeligons in modeler on a simple character. It's got the same kind of feel as if I had a 800,000 polygon model open in 7.5 . I can rotate and move the model very smoothly in the viewport but when moving points on the mesh or skeligons it gets downright slow.

jrm3d
05-04-2004, 08:12 AM
I hate the hub. I say disable it then in layout map a key to replace object and replace object layer. Its an easy workflow to adjust in modeler alt-tab back to layout select the object hit the shortcut key and then hit enter. Very responsive and not crash prone.

Automation stinks!. I say maintain control.

brap
05-04-2004, 08:22 AM
One BIG speed problem I did discover so far, is in a 7.5 project with a particle emitter in it. In 7.5, it's fine but if I load the scene in 8, it becomes completely unresponsive, taking almost 2 minutes between when the scene is first loaded and when the project shows up on the screen. I haven't had time to investigate what's happening, but as soon as I delete the emitter, the file is fine in 8.
I'll be keeping 7.5c on my machine for a while...

cheers,
Jamie

brap
05-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by papou
i notice that the hub is automaticly saving object & scene file now.

papou,

I just tested that, and for me, the hub isn't saving scene or model files. Could you elaborate? It's passing the data along as it always has, but doesn't seem to be saving--not that you would want it to, imagine a nice crash just as it's saving and switching apps!

mkiii
05-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Have you changed yje hub settings at all?

You have to manually set the hub autosave in 7.5 afaik because I seem to remember that it defaulted to no autosave.

My 8 installation seems to have defaulted to saving every 5 minutes.

You can check yours by right clicking on the hub icon, and selecting Properties.

Signal to Noise
05-04-2004, 10:25 PM
With my installation the Hub default seems to be set to "Never".

TyVole
05-05-2004, 04:16 AM
Back in 7.5, there was an annoyance where if you were in Modeler, launced Layout and rendered a scene containing an object opened in Modeler, and then returned to Modeler, you find the object was changed (at least, Modeler thought it had changed.) Nothing really bad happened (other than clearing the undo stack), but it was annoying.

Now, it seems to update objects for no reason even without doing renders.