PDA

View Full Version : zBrush LightWave challenge for you guys!

policarpo
05-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Any wavers trying to come to terms on whether or not zBrush 2 can fit in your LW pipeline, feel free to check out the thread started over on the pixologic forums.

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=015456

i've posted my LW result, along with my C4D results and look forward to you guys working on your own findings and posting the results.

I apologize if this seems like a broken record with me, but I figure if I keep sending it up the flag pole, maybe NT will realize that true geometric displacement rendering is important to the future of LW.

Cheers!

tokyo drifter
05-03-2004, 10:58 AM
I've given up trying to do displacement with Lightwave.

I hope that the Lightwave development team puts sub-pixel displacement as a top priority for Lightwave 8.5.

Vote here if you would also like to see this feature in Lightwave:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20924

theo
05-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Poli-

Does ZBrush just create the UVW image based on its own pixel depth created by the artist in digital clay and then this final imported UVW-based ZBrush image is laid onto a native subpatch object created in Modeller or is this the original ZBrush object AND image imported into LW?

Does the UV image HAVE to be 16 bit to get to this displacement depth?

I played with ZBrush way back once and wasn't terribly impressed so sorry if I am coming across as Schtupid here.

These are nice results- advanced displacement mapping has always been a little weird for me in LW.

tokyo drifter
05-03-2004, 01:26 PM
I played with ZBrush way back once and wasn't terribly impressed so sorry if I am coming across as Schtupid here. theo- You should check out the info on ZBrush 2 here http://209.132.68.66/zbrush2/Z2Home.html , it's a huge leap from version 1.0. It's even been used in production by Weta for the Lord of the Rings movies.

theo
05-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanx Tokyo- I shall check N2it-

policarpo
05-03-2004, 02:45 PM
i don't have ZB2...yet....just doing tests based on models ZB2 users are graciously posting.

I'm learning...and what I have learned so far is that my new toy Cinema 4d 8.5 handles this sort of stuff so much better than LightWave.

:D

theo
05-03-2004, 03:07 PM
I use Maxon's BodyPaint product with great success. C4 definitely looks like it has matured nicely.

tokyo drifter
05-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by policarpo
I'm learning...and what I have learned so far is that my new toy Cinema 4d 8.5 handles this sort of stuff so much better than LightWave.

:D Yes, C4D does handle displacements much better then Lightwave. And I think that C4D uses a similar method for displacement, right (i.e. not sub-pixel displacement)?

policarpo
05-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by tokyo drifter
Yes, C4D does handle displacements much better then Lightwave. And I think that C4D uses a similar method for displacement, right (i.e. not sub-pixel displacement)?

you are correct.

it does not currently support subpixel displacement...but it doesn't possess the same UVMap seam error, nor the lack of proper normal displacement on UVMap derived textures.

but let's see what Maxon's does for R9...I bet they see the power and potential on ZB2 in an artists pipeline.

:D

theo
05-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Poli- I had another question about ZBrush. In your experiments with the face as shown in your link was the file size of the subpatched displacement object pretty massive as far as the amount of polys needed to displace such a complex surface and is Layout capable of easily animating that Z-Brush based displaced-surface object?

The thing is that facial detail is something that can be achieved right within Modeller- the problems I have had are the huge file sizes associated with such detail once its brought into Layout. I suppose large special effects shops have the power to pump this stuff through their pipeline, like Wica I suppose, I don't have that luxury.

I am asking because I just don't have the time to test as I am in the middle of a proj right now.

Thanks much-

JDaniel
05-04-2004, 12:43 PM
I got Z2 last week Policarpo. From the results I've seen from testers and WETA using it in LOTR3.... I'm salivating.
Anyways, I'm doiing tuts from the manual to get use to the flow. Past the halfway mark of the manual know, I'll post when I got something good to chew on. It's hectic now between work,my crappy machine, and housebreaking my new 3 mo. old Rottweiler. :D
So now Messiah has a sub-pixel displacement feature too.