PDA

View Full Version : Official LW8 arrived here Thread!

Johnny9ball
05-03-2004, 10:06 AM
I seen lots of LW8 here or there threads wanted to start one where you can post When and Where you receved LW8 so people have an idea who is getting them and where.

Post Date and Place your LW8 arrived.

Got mine on May 3 Reno, Nevada.

johnnyh66
05-03-2004, 10:45 AM
8 was on my desk when I got in this morning

Signal to Noise
05-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Received via Fedex April 28, Calgary Alberta, baby!:D

gjjackson
05-03-2004, 11:59 AM
May 1, Olathe Ks

inquisitive
05-03-2004, 12:21 PM
received today

2 cd's out of 4 were not secured in the plastic packaging and contain scratches :( content disc1 and program disc.

looks like someone needs to make sure the cds are secured before closing the box

Northern Calif.

** CS has offered to replace them ** all is good

iharris
05-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Worcester, MA this morning :D

grundgedanke
05-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Cologne, germany last thursday :D

PG-13
05-03-2004, 02:32 PM
May 1st, Danbury, CT

nsolo
05-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Saturday, May 2
A great day:)

nsolo
05-03-2004, 03:42 PM
OOPs Saturday, May 1st

mrunion
05-03-2004, 04:30 PM
:D :D :D

Finally got mine. It came in the mail today at about 11:00 am. My CDs looked "pressed" and not burned, though I am just to excited to do alot of examination.

None were scratched, but the Program Disk WAS loose and flittering about.

Also, for those wondering, there is NO postmark date on the package, so I cannot say when it was shipped. The S/N *IS* on the outside mailing label and not on the inside case or Program Disk.

Well, off to play.

:D :D :D

chrisdz
05-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Well, mine hasn't arrived yet - but I was just surprised to receive a UPS ground tracking number for my order. It doesn't have an expected delivery date, but it does at least confirm that *something* is on its way to me :)

ted
05-04-2004, 01:25 PM
I got my UPS confirmation also.

Studio Dweller
05-04-2004, 02:49 PM
For those who receiced a UPS tracking #, was that a result of inquiring about your upgrade or did they simply email it to you without being asked?

I wonder why some are being shipped USPS and some UPS.

Still waiting in NJ... hoping it's in today's mail.

chrisdz
05-04-2004, 03:16 PM
I had not asked for a tracking number, though I must admit I was honestly expecting one as a matter of course. It's so... standard.

I would have paid a little extra for better than "ground" shipping had I been given the option, as well... but that said, ah well. At least it's underway.

Based on the fact that the shipment weighs less than a pound, I'm assuming there are no printed manuals in this shipment either.

:rolleyes:

Studio Dweller
05-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks. Once again, not in today's mail and I have not received a tracking #.

nerdyguy227
05-04-2004, 05:12 PM
HERE!!!

TripD
05-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Saturday, May 2nd.

Chico, CA

Global Hawk
05-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Got it today, Happy Cinco de Mayo to me!!:D

Salt Lake City, Ut

Jirapong
05-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Nope!

No LW8
No UV Edit Pro

Andyjaggy
05-05-2004, 06:49 PM
May 5th Provo Ut

Signal to Noise
05-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Jirapong
Nope!

No LW8
No UV Edit Pro

Err...UVEditPro is available as a download from NewTek as long as you received the email about it. That email contains the link to download it. You must also register UVEditPro w/ NewTek in order to get the license key for it.

nlightuk
05-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Out of all the replies, only one delivery so far in Europe!

Any UK users receive their copies yet?
When did you order yours, Grunge?

issaid
05-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Just came home to visit my parents to find my copy of LW8 here. I wish I brought my dongle with me. I guess it'll have to wait til Saturday night. Hopefully I will get to work on time Monday :)

Signal to Noise
05-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Remember the old adage:

"Dongles. Don't leave home without them!"

chrisdz
05-07-2004, 11:42 AM
You know, I'm so angry I could bite a nail in half right now.

I just got my LW8 upgrade and there's NO FREAKING LW8 IN THE BOX.

It's just the RealViz bonus crap.

Signal to Noise
05-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by chrisdz
...It's just the RealViz bonus crap.

Crap??? Send it to me then!;)

Did you order an upgrade or are you a new user? If you're new then NewTek probably won't send you [8] until the manuals are finished. Remember, [8] isn't "officially" released yet. They are just fulfilling the free upgrade orders. I think.

chrisdz
05-07-2004, 12:38 PM
It's an upgrade ordered directly from NewTek.

I just got off the phone with them, and evidently they shipped the RealViz thing UPS, but the Lightwave 8 upgrade via postal mail separately.

So my Lightwave CDs will be here "sometime in the next week or so".

You know, just kick me? Okay?

Jeebus.

reverie
05-07-2004, 02:44 PM
May 3rd -- LW8 came to South Georgia, USA, via USPS. :) (I just discovered this thread.)

May 7th -- LW8 finally got registered -- after I dug the mailing label with the serial# out of the bottom of a huge, nasty industrial size trash can. :rolleyes:

Jan

chrisdz
05-10-2004, 10:10 AM
Still not here - Michigan :)

One of the fellas that runs a large 3D/CG/post site had an interesting comment about the unusual marketing of LW8: he suggested that the "upgrade" users are basically going to be serving as a large-scale beta test, and it won't be publicly promoted until we hammer out bugs for NT for a couple months.

I wonder if that has any merit. Made me go "hmmmmmm..." :D

ted
05-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Got ours today!:)

reverie
05-10-2004, 02:02 PM
One of the fellas that runs a large 3D/CG/post site had an interesting comment about the unusual marketing of LW8: he suggested that the "upgrade" users are basically going to be serving as a large-scale beta test, and it won't be publicly promoted until we hammer out bugs for NT for a couple months.

Guess everybody better make their bugs known then. I've only found one, and that's with the UV plug-in that we got free with LW8. It makes LW crash every time.

Other than that, I haven't found any glitches, thankfully. :D

robertoortiz
05-11-2004, 09:32 AM
I would like to secong what reverie said.

I am amazed how stable LW 8 is compared to Lw7.0 - 7.5.

And the switch was smooth as silk.

-R

chrisdz
05-11-2004, 09:42 AM
That's really good to hear (stability). While relaunching under OSX isn't a big tragedy like it used to be with crashes under 9, it *would* be nice to work for more than 20 minutes without relaunching :)

Now if only mine would GET HERE.

Jirapong
05-13-2004, 09:04 AM
Two months after placing the order, NO LW8
Two weeks after comfirming the S/N because it my mistake that I bought fro the dealer, NO LW8

NO idea what you guys talking about LW8

cagey5
05-13-2004, 11:02 AM
2 months? I ordered 11 months ago and am still waiting ... albeit not too patiently.

Signal to Noise
05-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by robertoortiz
I would like to secong what reverie said.

I am amazed how stable LW 8 is compared to Lw7.0 - 7.5.

And the switch was smooth as silk.

-R

Agreed. I find [8] very stable even with the hub engaged (!!). However, there are omissions in the much touted on-line help documentation. I'm asking everyone that notice things missing and/or errors please visit THIS THREAD (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22281) and contribute to make the documentation (as well as the forthcoming hardcopy manual) as complete as possible in a future update.

nerdyguy227
05-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Did anyone in the USA still not get it?

chrisdz
05-13-2004, 01:48 PM
I'm still waiting here. My "bonus materials" came last week but I still don't have LW8 (I could give a fluff about the bonus stuff).

Studio Dweller
05-13-2004, 01:55 PM
I am still waiting. I was told when I called a couple of days ago that it went out the middle of last week. There's just no way that first class mail takes this long. Hoping to see it in today's mail, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.

I am amazed that someone from Newtek hasn't posted an explanation by now.

chrisdz
05-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Honestly, that's the part that's probably making people so nervous - the silence from NewTek. It's really amazing how much a little communication can do to allay people's concerns and smooth over some ire. I know they're busy - but when you just let people stew with no clue what's going on, only occasionally hop on to lock a thread and be sternly defensive when people get grouchy... I dunno. Doesn't seem good.

nerdyguy227
05-13-2004, 03:35 PM
WOW

Psyhke
05-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Nerdyguy: I still haven't received mine. I purchased last June. I found out today it was because of my mailing address not being updated properly. Although I did confirm my new address more than once before shipping started.

I recommend anyone who has had an address change since ordering LW8 to call and double, and re-double check the mailing address with them.

Retroid
05-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Got mine today. Derby, UK.

Studio Dweller
05-15-2004, 09:02 AM
Finally arrived here. Figures that it came right when I'm about to head out for the afternoon, but I'm just glad it's finally here.

Studio Dweller
05-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Just my luck... the damn registration page isn't working! When I click on the 'Register [8]' link, I get the following:

Server Error in '/' Application.

SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.]
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +761
OnlineReg.DB.GetDR(String sqlText)
Register.Register.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +29
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +724

Version Information:_Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.0.3705.288; ASP.NET Version:1.0.3705.288

Studio Dweller
05-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Registration page is back up and everything went smoothly.

Also worth noting, my LW8 had the serial # printed on labels which were both on the inside and outside of the CD case, not on the mailing envelope. Also, my CDs are pressed, not CD-Rs. I do know that mine shipped directly from NewTek and not from the fulfillment house. Perhaps they sent CD-Rs to get the first batch out asap while the pressed CDs were being made.

EremiticWolf
05-17-2004, 10:32 PM
I haven't received my copy yet. Was told it would take 1 - 2 weeks. Well this is the start of the third week. :( Hopefully I'll get it soon, or I guess I better call customer support.

pauland
05-18-2004, 01:04 AM
I'm in the UK and LW8 arrived for me today. 4x CD-R in a very nice case designed for four CDs (even with some artwork done by some Europeans). So my personal wait and frustration are over.

When I checked with Newtek-Europe that my letterbox was compatible, they checked out my status and said it would arrive within ten days. It did.

Good luck to the rest of you guys out there, I hope I'm not alone in getting LW8 today. It seems we'll have to wait for Proton to write his memoirs to discover what's been going on.

Paul

nlightuk
05-18-2004, 02:55 AM
Bristol UK here...
LW8 was on my doorstep when I awoke this morning.
Funky box (broken by Royal Mail's cack-handedness!), with 4 burned CDs (not pressed as mentioned by some other users)

Have been biting my lip and resisting posting any complaints about delays so far, however, now that my copy has arrived, I do have one word of warning for European users still waiting:

I upgraded in November and paid my money (like everyone else). My copy of DFX+ arrived, along with an additional set of 7.5 CDs.

I set these aside, as I already had 7.5 installed from my other set of CDs (sent when I bought 7.5 as an upgrade from 6.5)

Got very confused when everyone started thanking Newtek for UVEditPro as I never received an email about it.

All communications with Newtek Europe re. my undelivered upgrade to 8 were ignored, until finally I got a reply saying I was not eligable for the free upgrade, as I had not registered my copy of 7.5. What they meant was I had not registered the new Serial # of Lightwave received with DFX+

Since I have been a Lightwave user from v4, I thought the sending of the additional CDs to be a waste of resources, and to expect me to regiser the new CDs serial # was a little silly.

However, as soon as I registered the new serial number (even though I am still using my original license BTW!) I received the UVEditPro email, and a confirmation that my LW8 upgrade was on its way...

Very disorganised and frustrating, but it's here now, so no more complaining! :)

I wanted to mention this, because if there are any LW users in Europe still waiting for their copy (like me, for 6 months!) then make sure you have registered the extra copy of 7.5 you may have received when you paid for your upgrade to 8 - otherwise you will be waiting indefinitely for your LW8 license to arrive...

yorkie
05-18-2004, 06:06 AM
Mine just plonked through my letterbox this morning, all 4 discs, and everything worked like a charm, fantastic extra discs as well the tutorials are fantastic the rigid body dynamics look amazing!

Can't wait to get home and get on ;)

Thanks Newtek all good things come to those who wait!!!!

Rich

nlightuk
05-18-2004, 06:15 AM
Hey Rich :)

Just up the road from you in Horfield - been hoping there were some other 'wavers in my vicinity. Glad to know that there are!

Mail me off-forum if you wanna discuss a meet to chat about LW8 (or before) and possibly organise a SW user-group perhaps?

Regards

Adam

yorkie
05-18-2004, 08:27 AM
West country dominance!!!!

I shall put some time aside to get to grips with it. Glad to know someone else will hear my screams :D

chrisdz
05-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Finally got it today - aside from having to clean some schmutz off the program CD with formula 409 (about fell over when the CD wouldn't read - it was just sticker goo), everything went perfectly.

The install and register process worked, and my initial "make sure it's working with some existing scene" tests went through without a hitch.

The interface is visibly faster, and general UI stuff behaves much more quickly than it did (dual 1.25 G4).

I'll have time to dig into it tonight with the project that's been sitting here waiting for LW8 to show up, but for now all looks well. What a relief :P

robewil
05-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Got mine yesterday and I had ordered less than a month ago.:)

tiler
05-19-2004, 07:36 AM
got mine yesterday...ordered feb.... manchester uk

UnCommonGrafx
05-19-2004, 09:25 AM
05/18/04

Here and wow!

cagey5
05-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Please tell me that was February 2003!

[And yeah I do know you couldn't order in Feb. 2003 :)]

tiler
05-19-2004, 11:22 AM
hey cagey5.... another manc... have you got yours yet

cagey5
05-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Nope. Still waiting. You work with it or a hobbyist?

tiler
05-19-2004, 11:31 AM
hobby,passion,lifestyle, not work with yet... trying to get into games