PDA

View Full Version : LW8 and LW7.5c on same machine

firstsingle
05-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Is this possible? I saw a thread about this but can't find it.
Any help will be appreciated.

bloontz
05-03-2004, 08:58 AM
I'm running both, the only real problems I've had are that I can't get win xp to associate my files with 8. I've set the association multiple times but double clicking any .lwo or .lws opens them in 7.5.

firstsingle
05-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by bloontz
I'm running both, the only real problems I've had are that I can't get win xp to associate my files with 8. I've set the association multiple times but double clicking any .lwo or .lws opens them in 7.5.

Hey thanks bloontz. Good news. That problem you're having with LW8 association. I saw an answer to that problem in a thread a couple weeks ago but I don't know what form. Might have been cgtalk. Sorry. Something about putting the LW7.5 or 7 config file in it's own version of LW folder.

kyfsu00
05-03-2004, 12:13 PM
so far no problems running both. i prefer so far to run 7.5 until i can find everything in 8. dont understand why they changed everything so much.

firstsingle
05-03-2004, 05:55 PM
That's good to hear kyfsu00. I'll let you know how it goes.

GeorgeDittmar
05-03-2004, 06:07 PM
well you can change the presets to 7.5 in version 8 so it brings all the stuff back but yeah they took alot out with the default one

firstsingle
05-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by GeorgeDittmar
well you can change the presets to 7.5 in version 8 so it brings all the stuff back but yeah they took alot out with the default one

That's true. I forgot how simple that makes things. Thanks George.

mkiii
05-04-2004, 06:44 AM
Unlike previous versions, LW8 uses differently named config fileswith the number 8 in the filename so they do not conflict with the v7 ones already in the same folder (a nice touch).

So, in theory, you do not need to start moving config files around like you used to.

byte_fx
05-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by bloontz

Are you running XP? It's really cranky about associations and many install packs try to set their associations but fail.

If you're not setting the associations manually then try this ...

To change it open any folder - 'my computer' works fine. At the top undr 'Tools' open 'Folder Options' then 'File Types'. Scroll down till you see the lwo and lws labels, Left click on each then select 'Change' At mid-right in the pop-up select 'Browse' then navigate to the drive/folder that lw8 is stored in then the 'Programs' folder and click on either the modeler.exe or lightwave.exe program as apprpriate. Make sure the 'Always use' box is ticked and exit.

That should fix ya up for opening objects and scenes in 8 by clicking on them.

byte_fx

monfoodoo
05-04-2004, 08:46 PM
i had that porblem.if you put .lws on your 7.5 scene file it will show up in 8.0

bloontz
05-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Thanks but it isn't quite that simple. I had tried changing the association numerous times to no avail. I tried deleting the associations and readding them which did fix .lws so they open in 8 but .lwo still insist on opening in 7.5. Does anyone know where the bindings are stored in the registry?

bloontz
05-05-2004, 08:07 AM
I fixed the association problem by changing the path in the registry for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Mo deler.exe\shell\open\command to the correct path.

kyfsu00
05-05-2004, 08:38 AM
i have noticed the past two days if i have 7.5 modeler open and launch 8.0 layout and open a scene it can crash. so far about 3 out of 5 times.

JamesCurtis
05-05-2004, 09:39 AM
I think it's because of the differences between the two versions. Three things I noticed:

1) When I switched to the LW7.5 layout menu configuration and then back to the default 8.0 one, the additional plugins menu list kept all of the things that were in the generic plugins section from the LW7.5 menu configuration.

2) When Quitting LW8 and then going to 7.5, The content directory is carried over from one to the other. Possibly because of the Hub?!!

3) Skygen doesn't seem to work. Interface comes up but when I click OK I get an error on line 97. Will try to load in Skygen2 from the Layout Plugpack and see if it works.

Anyone also notice this?

kyfsu00
05-05-2004, 10:51 AM
is skygen the same as skytracer? so far i have been using skytracer2 in 8 without problem, so far.......

JamesCurtis
05-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Skygen is not the same as Skytracer2. Skygen is plugin that uses textured layers to formulate clouds that can be animated with sliders etc. It's by Eki.

Hawkfyr
05-17-2004, 10:41 PM
I installed LW 8 on a seperate drive than 7.5

No problems with file assosiations with XP Pro.

I can run 7.5 modeler and Layout..AND LW 8 modeler and layout all at the same time.

I can't think of any reason I'd ever wan't to do that but I tried it just to see if I could.

No Problems with 7.5 and 8 conflicting at all so far.

But then again..I've only had LW 8 for a couple of days so far.

Maybe installing it on a seperate drive dodged that bullet?

Tom

Signal to Noise
05-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Nah! I had [8] installed on the same drive 7.5 was installed. Both worked fine simultaneously. Once I was sure all my plug-ins worked properly on [8] I didn't see a need for 7.5 anymore so I nuked it.

kyfsu00
05-09-2005, 11:59 AM
is there a way to get a copy of the 8.0 content disks or download them? i had to reload lw on my notebook and it seeks to have damaged them. the dvd was off ballance and scratched them.