PDA

View Full Version : antialiasing and depth buffer

bealobo
05-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Hi!

Iīve just started using digital fusion, and got a lw scene that has an object moving like a pendulum and another object just rotating.
Iīve applied dithered motion blur (enhanced low AA) in LW, but wanted to experiment with DOF in post-prod, so no dof in lw.

Iīve tried many many things but it seems that I canīt get it right.
My problem is that the z-buffer is not antialiased and therefore the motion blur is not detected causing that any effect based in the depth appears trimmed.

I tried the antialiased buffer plugin in lw 7.5 but it doesnīt seem to work.

I hope I made myself clear...

Thank you in advance!!!!

:)

Bealobo

matts152
11-16-2006, 11:50 AM
I have the exact same problem, know that doesnt help, but im using DF too, and i cant get lightwave 9's depth buffer to Anti alias at all either... very frustrating.... i will let you know what i find out.

jesusguijarro
12-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi,

I use DF and for motion blur i'm using the pluging RealSmart motion blur, there is a free pluging for LW in http://www.richardnichols.net/rsmbexport/ that export motion buffers for use with RealSmart motion blur.

Hope that helps.

Red_Oddity
12-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Actually, a Z-Buffer can never hold AntiAliasing, you would use a Z Coverage buffer for that.
Think about it, what is AntiAliasing, and what is a Zbuffer really, if you would AntiAlias a Zbuffer you would destroy all depth information at the AntiAliased areas.

A solution is rendering at twice the resolution you're gonna use or use ReelSmartMotionBlur to do post motion blurring.

jasonazure
01-31-2007, 03:20 AM
I've just been through all this due to a medical animation I am currently producing (you know how these medical animations look so cool with DOF!)

I tried everything I could in post with DF, but it's a lot of hassle, especially with overlapping objects. Even with the Z-coverage buffer, I was getting unacceptable edges around my models, and don't even get me started on motion blur :thumbsdow

My answer was to give in, buy X-DOF and do it all 'in-camera'. It doesn't allow so much flexibility at the post production end, but the DOF produced is beautiful :thumbsup:

masterchief
02-08-2007, 08:41 AM
can you provide more detail... with example images????
what settings you used in LW for your render and additional steps you used in Fusion.

Fusion v5.1 user here... LW9.0

regards,
William

djlithium
05-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Hmm.
A while back I was playing with the Fusion5 deep pixel depth blur tools in few space scene composites. I was able to get some pretty decent results but the flow is anything from obvious that's for sure.
Are you using Fu5 or Digital Fusion 4.x?
With the exrTrader plug-in from www.infinimap.com it will export x/y motion vectors. I just haven't been able to figure out how to use them in a flow without the need for reelsmart.
Anyone have any ideas on that?
I could share some of my flows if its handy.

Kat.

3dWannabe
04-10-2010, 01:52 PM
DJ & Jesus & Red Oddity & Jason - I'm a new (and very ignorant) Fusion6 & exrTrader user.

I thought from reading hdr3d.com articles, that LW 9.6 doesn't supply the coverage buffer needed for dealing with AA, thus the 2x or 4x renders.

Very curious how you are handling AA, DOF and Motion Blur with today's tools -as the lasts post was from 2007.

What works, what doesn't?

I'm trying to figure out what operations to handle with LW, and which with Fusion.

Any help to point me down that path would be appreciated.

fudini
04-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Joe Laffey has a tutorial, related to his Pel-Z Fusion plugin, about rendering out Z-buffers and it looks like Extended Rpf will render out a coverage pass.

http://laffey.tv/ztool_lw.html

edit:
You may be right about Lightwave's Coverage buffers support.
He says,"Note that LightWave does not create proper coverage buffers and enabling this will have no effect on your Z Channel effects."

I wonder if this has been fixed yet?

3dWannabe
04-23-2010, 02:13 PM
fudini - thanks a lot! With the coverage pass, I guess you no longer have to render 2x or 4x. This sounds great. I'll read his tutorial tonight.

fudini
04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I thought so too until I read it through. See my edit.

It might be worth a try though, maybe it is fixed now.

3dWannabe
04-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Fudini - bummer. I think the developer's of exrTrader, and lots of LW users have been after them to supply this for a long time.

But, from my reading, this issue has been around for years and years, so if NewTech is going to supply the Coverage buffer, it will be in a later version, and not arrive as a 'bug fix'.

They seem to have their hands full just getting out bug fixes for some of the reported bugs while trying to re-invent the LW platform at the same time.

Oh well, they did release a new build of 9.6.1 this week, so progress is slowly being made.

djlithium
05-06-2010, 10:52 PM
I have the exact same problem, know that doesnt help, but im using DF too, and i cant get lightwave 9's depth buffer to Anti alias at all either... very frustrating.... i will let you know what i find out.

You guys also need to set your min/max range for the depth buffer accurately 0-1 is 0m to 1meters. Not values of 0 (black/near) to 1 (white/far).
You would be amazed at how well it actually works if you understand how to set the ranges and why its doing what.
Also keep in mind there is a "limit" to how much "blur" you can really add to a scene that doesn't have the dynamic range required to make this happen before you get majorly jaggy edges. There are tricks to get rid of this however in Fusion by... well.. I would have to skype demo it for you. It's way to much to explain here.
Also, try using linear fog passes to compliment your depth pass :) (part of whats hard to explain :))

djlithium
05-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Fudini - bummer. I think the developer's of exrTrader, and lots of LW users have been after them to supply this for a long time.

But, from my reading, this issue has been around for years and years, so if NewTech is going to supply the Coverage buffer, it will be in a later version, and not arrive as a 'bug fix'.

They seem to have their hands full just getting out bug fixes for some of the reported bugs while trying to re-invent the LW platform at the same time.

Oh well, they did release a new build of 9.6.1 this week, so progress is slowly being made.

A coverage buffer is something that would need to be enabled by NewTek in Lightwave's buffer system (something that apparently according to many sources is not that hard to do but could complicate things somewhere else... but not really sure where) before it could be accessible to exrTrader or any other render buffer saver system.