PDA

View Full Version : LW[8] Screamernet Issue

NightDead
05-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Not exactly sure what's going wrong here. I have all the proper directories set up and my screamer node shortcuts have the proper syntax for my structure;

H:\Programs\LWSN.exe -2 -cH:\Configs -dH:\ H:\Command\job3 H:\Command\ack3

LW8 initializes Screamernet II with no errors. All 4 cpus are detected, all 4 nodes initialize and after receiving the wait command go into the ready state.

When I begin the Screamer Render, each cpu loads the scene and begins to render a frame. Everything seems to be working fine for a while. However, something strange happens and I can't figure why.

For no apparent reason, one or more cpu's will eventually randomly stop taking new frames from the scene to render. They will simply idle after the "Freeing frame buffers" line in the command prompt window. The Screamernet II panel shows these cpu's as still "Rendering frame xx" even though the cpu's are not even churning (confirmed via the Windows task manager), and despite the fact that a completed frame image shows up in the rendering output directory.

I've never encountered this problem with previous versions of LightWave. It's a new one on me, and the randomness of which node(s) experience this has me stumped as to a root cause. I have loaded up several different scenes and the issue has repeated itself each time.

Any help/insight into the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Christopher

Aegis
05-02-2004, 05:32 PM
You're overloading your CPUs - see my "ScreamerNet [8] - bug or feature" thread...

NightDead
05-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Just read that. It doesn't seem to help at all. Even when running just one Screamer node, regardless of render threads, It's still occuring. Very frustrating.

Aegis
05-03-2004, 01:58 AM
Strange... It's working fine for me :confused:

LMUSIC
05-10-2004, 11:43 AM
I am also getting some strange behavior with the new [8] screamernet.

The initialization process is unreliable. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (independent of the OS on the node).

When it does initialize;

On WinME nodes, it loads the scene, validates the scene and renders. It just won't load plugins (SkyTracer2 and a couple others).

On Win2k machines, it hangs on 'validating scene' and never goes any further.

My setup has been stable and working flawlessly for years with LW7.x.

I hope we will be seeing an incremental upgrade soon to fix SN8 (I really don't want to have to reinstall 7).
:(

I just read Aegis' thread. Maybe a little messing around with the LW8.cfg file will help.

LMUSIC
05-10-2004, 07:45 PM
So far - changes to the LW8.CFG file (particularly the number of threads) have not made any improvement.

The other CPUs are feeling kind of neglected!

digimassa
05-11-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by LMUSIC
.....On Win2k machines, it hangs on 'validating scene' and never goes any further......

This happens usually with scenes where this spreadsheet manager (in LW 7.5) has been used, if so, open your text editor and remove all spreadsheet manager entries from scene file.^^

LMUSIC
05-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks, digimassa- The Win2k machines are back online.

I do, however, get a message during initialization (on the Win2k machines) indicating that the new scene editor is only intended to be used in LW8.

Then a message that an 'improper system' has been detected.

The nodes do actually produce what appear to be good frames.

Maybe I will need to reinstall LW8?

On the WinME machines, SN causes a fatal error when the scene loads now.

LMUSIC
05-11-2004, 11:39 PM
By selectively going through the LWEXT8.CFG file and changing the location references (SkyTracer and Groundfog in particular) from "L:\\\\plugins" to "L:\\plugins" I was able to get the WinME machine to stop generating fatal errors when loading a scene.

I haven't yet tried to reload the scene in Layout to see if the path change is bad for Layout.

The Win2K machines did not have this particular problem. (I wonder why?)

The path parsing in LWSN8 appears to be a bit more tender than in 7.5 - OR - LWSN is not entirely compatible with the plugin path saving from Layout and/or Modeler.

-------------
A question about forum protocol for long time inhabitants- Should I be starting a new thread? (I kind of piled on NightDead's thread because the topic fits really well.)

cesar
11-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I have a G5 mac,
I used to be able to use the scream rendering. I just upgraded to 8.5 lightwave.
The problem that I have is when I set the Network rendering in one or two machines, it rendered blank frames. What is the problems??
Thanks
CÚsar
[email protected]