PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Calculate?

Lito
05-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Is there a way to stop LW after you pressed the calculate button? I was playing around with the HardFX parameters and when I pressed calculate it was going really slow so I wanted to abort but I couldn't get it to stop. :eek:

I think the calculate button should turn into a cancel button after we press it. A small feature request :)

Ztreem
05-02-2004, 05:18 AM
Try pressing the Ctrl button on your keyboard. :)

Lito
05-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Thanks.

HowardM
05-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Lito
I think the calculate button should turn into a cancel button after we press it. A small feature request :)

agreed!
any of you have 'looplock' where you cant cancel no matter how many times you hit ctrl, and basically you have to close LW?

would some of you try please this, while youre calculating something intense, select any other LW panel, and THEN hit ctrl....does LW go into looplock? could be my grf card? gonna have to do more tests...

thanks!

The ripper
05-02-2004, 03:49 PM
The same thing happened to me HowardM... It freezed and the layout wasn't responding anymore!

The ripper.

HowardM
05-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by The ripper
The same thing happened to me HowardM... It freezed and the layout wasn't responding anymore!

The ripper.

sorry to hear, but good to hear...hopefully more see the bug and we can squash it fast! its REALLY pissing me off! ;)

Lito
05-02-2004, 04:13 PM
I had something similar happen but I couldn't tell if it was locked or just processing something really difficult.

I just tried something that was a little bit slow on my system and it seems as if LW only checks for the ctrl key press at the beginning of each frame's calculate loop. So I couldn't actually stop the calculate till I held down the ctrl key and LW moved to the next frame.

HowardM
05-02-2004, 04:19 PM
right, that happens, but thats fine.
no, im talking full on lockup, cpu churning at 100%, LW (Not Responding), let it run for hours on something that should of calculated in 5 mins...holding down ctrl for minutes....
well if it is just churning, there needs to be an abort that REALLY aborts!

hrgiger
05-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I've had that happen several times already. In fact, I've been trying to figure out how to bring a lo poly substititute in for my heavy poly's coat to do some cloth dynamics but when I've tried to do that, I get a node error saying they don't match or something like that. Howard, are you good at getting a high poly mesh to deform from a lo poly calculation?

Agreed on the terminate calculation. Newtek needs to find a way to stop it when you press the ctrl key. I basically end up crashing Lightwave and it's the only way to get out of it now sometimes.

HowardM
05-02-2004, 05:09 PM
hmm, pretty lame that such an obvious bug would be left like that, especially after a year of waiting for polished 8
...but on the otherhand, lets see if others have it, or maybe its all our cards or setups?
Im using a gef4 ti4200 128 megs, XP.

so giger whats the problem? are you creating your hires mesh from the low res? or vice versa?
works fine for me if I make a lowres subd, then facet it into hires....and vice versa...err well chop up a hi-res to a low...but why do it that way?
:)

hrgiger
05-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Howard,

Well, I tried animating my coat on my character here: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19227 . I took the exisiting coat, and quemlossed it a few times to get a low density mesh with pretty much the same overall shape. Then ran the simulation which worked fine but then when I tried to save the motion file out and apply it to the hi res mesh, it gave me the error about nodes not matching.

HowardM
05-02-2004, 06:59 PM
hmmm, ya i bet qemloss did something weird.
maybe diff settings like retain mesh quality, etc ? try it.

the wireframe of your coat doesnt really seem hires at all...did you just try it?

hrgiger
05-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Actually Howard, the coat isn't terribly high res but when you add in the resolution of the collision body, it gets pretty crazy. So I did the quemloss on both body and coat.

Yeah, I'll play around with it some more, I'm sure I'll get it to work. The other thing I considered was using bone dynamics for the coat and that way perhaps it's be easier to adjust if there was a problem with collisions...Don't know enough about it yet, nor have I had time to read up on it but I'll get to it eventually. I'm just finishing up the texturing now....

HowardM
05-02-2004, 08:02 PM
well then leave the coat alone, and qemloss the collision!
the low/hi technique doesnt care about the collision!