PDA

View Full Version : LW8 Linux LWSN

akota
05-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Sooo... One of the big things I was hoping for was an updated Linux LWSN. So far I have yet to find ANY LWSN. Tho, the 8 manual states:

"You also can use ScreamerNet on Mac and Linux computers."

So where do I find the Linux LWSN files???

Thanks,

Jason

erk
05-23-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by akota
Sooo... One of the big things I was hoping for was an updated Linux LWSN. So far I have yet to find ANY LWSN. Tho, the 8 manual states:

"You also can use ScreamerNet on Mac and Linux computers."

So where do I find the Linux LWSN files???

Thanks,

Jason So have you tried running Lightwave 8 file on on the previous version of Linux LWSN to see if they still work at all?

Phil
05-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Deuce had let me know that he was looking into this, but I have not heard back from him yet. I'm not sure if they have firm plans for continuing linux support.

erk
05-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Phil
Deuce had let me know that he was looking into this, but I have not heard back from him yet. I'm not sure if they have firm plans for continuing linux support. I hope they are, it's the only way of making an affordable renderfarm without paying through the nose for a bunch of windows licenses. If it doesn't happen does anyone know if there are any other lightwave 8 compatible renderers for Linux to build a small renderfarm with?

Phil
05-24-2004, 06:51 PM
The issue, as someone else pointed out recently, is that there is next to no third-party support for the linux LWSN implementation because the LW SDK is not workable (at least for 7.5) under GCC. This prevents code from being compiled and also since the 7.5 LWSN has some runtime dependency on an obscure Intel compiler library, it's difficult to get it to run.

NT lost their previous linux developer, so I'm not sure what's happening in the meantime. I'll have to give Deuce a nudge and see what's happening, I guess :)

akota
05-25-2004, 12:10 AM
Which brings me back to the age old dilema. Though I love Lightwave, if I plan on building a cost-efficient render farm I'll have to focus on Maya. Not only does it have a Linux render client, but the entire app runs natively on Linux...

Amadeus0
05-26-2004, 05:37 AM
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-users/2003/01/0028.html

But better yet:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lw3d-disc/message/10610

I run ScreamerNet on my WinXP dual Athlon & FC2 (Linux) Single Athlon just fine.

This elimnates the need for porting Plug-ins over to Linux. (FPrime network render here I come...When Worley releases it, that is...) ;-)

Phil
06-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Wine is a route, certainly, and something that I think would be fundamental to any port of LW for linux. That said, I just don't get the impression that NT give a damn about the potential market here. The lack of any public comment on this or any other query about linux support since the original 7.5 LWSN RPM (buggy, hard to fix dependencies, etc.) doesn't lead me to think that this will be a high priority for them *shrug*

Amadeus0
06-04-2004, 04:33 AM
Deuce has stated that (hopefully) when LW8 ships the LWSN8-Native Linux version will be included/available. Of course this only leaves the various 3rd party plug-ins that you use (uncompiled LScript being the only) left to port, but it's (an important) start.

akota
06-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Hi All,

So I tried the WINE method. It seems to want to work but I'm not quite there yet. I run the command, it starts to run, looks like it does in a DOS box in Windows:

LightWave x86 ScreamerNet Module (Build 690)
CPU number: 2

Current directory is now "r:\lw\lw8\Content".

Then I get line after line of

fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap stub

I try initializing SN from my Windows box and I see that the WINE client responds, but then it dies and the SN machine says no render nodes available.

Anyone have any luck here?

Jason

Amadeus0
06-04-2004, 06:42 PM
The 'Fixme:heap' message you can ignore. There is some type of switch to turn off (most) debug messages, which that 'heap' one is of them.

My client stays up after init...Try starting LW SN2, THEN start the node. I usually do it the other way around (start nodes then the Controller.)