PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... 2 for the price of 1? Not quite...

jfrith
05-01-2004, 06:37 PM
I received LW8 yesterday. :)
However, I have a problem... I received two of them.
Obviously, one must be a free upgrade, and I blew $500 for the other... Since I only have one dongle, the second copy is useless. :(

Only copies of LW7.5 purchased after April '03 were eligible for the free upgrade (or so I was told). Although I made my purchase earlier than that, I did not get around to installing and registering it until June, so I was hopeful that I would still qualify for the free upgrade. However, after two emails and a phone call to NewTek, I was disappointed to hear that I was ineligible for the free upgrade to version 8. Obviously, Marvin and Rich were misinformed. I will give NewTek a call on Monday and try to get this mess resolved.

Has this happened to anyone else yet?

TyVole
05-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Yup. Kind of.

I bought 7.5 2-3 days before the cutoff date (4/1/03) for the free upgrade. Like you, I was told I wasn't elligible. And they never returned my letter or phone call requesting elligibility.

I bought the DFX+ upgrade in November. But when I called them this week to confirm that they sent me the upgrade, they told me that they had no record of my DFX+ upgrade purchase, but that I was getting the upgrade because I bought 7.5 prior to the cutoff date.

Go figure?

I'm not sure whether I should be happy that they responded to my letter/phone call by making me elligible, or whether I should be mad that they never told me that they made me elligible, which resulted in me buying a upgrade I didn't have to buy.

Newtek's customer service, in my opinion, could use a good deal of improvement. But I do like both DFX+ and v8 (so far), so I'm just going to put it behind me and go forward.

nerdyguy227
05-02-2004, 09:46 AM
I bought the student 7.5 version ($500) then the upgrade specel DFX+ & UV edit pro & LW 8 upgrade ($500).

Now the weird part-I got 2 LW 8s, but 1 dongle, but I payed (really my mom) $1,000

One LW 8 was shiped to my mom, the other to me!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Aegis
05-03-2004, 09:29 AM
I bought the student 7.5 version ($500) then the upgrade specel DFX+ & UV edit pro & LW 8 upgrade ($500).

The academic version probably also qualified for the free LW8 upgrade (but not the DFX+ deal). Look on the bright side - you should have a full commercial license (not academic) of LightWave now 'cause you normally get bumped up when paying for an upgrade - although seeing as you're 12 that probably isn't much of a consolation :p

Still a bizarre situation though :confused:

prospector
05-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Yea, I got 2 copies too

different ser num on each but both in my name.

no hardware key tho.:(

I need to tie one to my VT2 instead of the Express edition that came with it.

Any ideas?

nerdyguy227
05-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Aegis
Look on the bright side - you should have a full commercial license

CORECTION: 2 full comercial license :D

It seems like a really really really good deal to me (REALLY!!!) because I pay about $1000.00 and get:

LW 8 (2 comercial)
UV edit pro (I actualy got 2 of these also!)
DFX+ (1)
Dongle (1) :confused: :(
MiMic discount (2)
LW 7.5 (1 student)

all about $4550.00
for $1000

pauland
05-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
CORECTION: 2 full comercial license :D

It seems like a really really really good deal to me (REALLY!!!) because I pay about $1000.00 and get:

LW 8 (2 comercial)
UV edit pro (I actualy got 2 of these also!)
DFX+ (1)
Dongle (1) :confused: :(
MiMic discount (2)
LW 7.5 (1 student)

all about $4550.00
for $1000

I think you had a free Academic upgrade 7.7->8.0 and paid for a commercial upgrade as well. It only gives you a single commercial licence. All LW licences are tied to a single dongle and you only have one dongle. You never get a dongle with an upgrade.

Paul

nerdyguy227
05-04-2004, 08:59 PM
then why 2 cds???:confused: :confused: :confused:

pauland
05-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
then why 2 cds???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Probably because they didn't realise what you'd done/aren't organised enough to work it out/etc.

Phone them up and ask for clarification.

Paul

jfrith
05-05-2004, 02:26 PM
After speaking to Gary at NewTek, it turns out that the duplicate copies are a mistake on the part of a fulfillment house that is handling the upgrade mailings (Itís always someone elseís fault). Gary told me that I correctly paid for the upgrade, and the second I should probably returnÖ However, he didnít press me on it (He canít. US trade law states that you can keep duplicate shipments/unordered merchandise). The fact that it was the result of a shipping error doesnít change the fact the I wouldíve received a free upgrade to LW8, and I blew $500 for a copy that I canít use without a second dongle.

I wonder if NewTek sales replacement dongles?
Is anyone interested in purchasing a brand new, shrink-wrapped, fully licensed LW8 upgrade for $150?

fourd
05-05-2004, 02:32 PM
I'll give you 3D Studio Max 5.1 full with manuals for that LW8 if you can get a dongle for it! (This is a legit Max btw. I just can't stand Max, I wanna go back to LW, I can send pictures if needed)

[email protected]

pauland
05-05-2004, 02:43 PM
I didn't think you could legitimately transfer a Max licence?

fourd
05-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Technically no, for upgrade purposes. But all the end user has to do is install it to their desktop, and add there computer to the Portable License Uitility (PLU), and send me there code. Once I have the code, I input it to my PLU and export the license to there computer. License transfer complete.

But hell if he's got an extra copy of LW, why not trade for a full blown box set of 3D Studio and Manuals. it's a win win for both of us :)

jfrith
05-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Donald,
Thanks for the offer, but if I could get a second dongle, I would keep LW8. But, that doesn't seem likely anyway.

This 2nd copy of LW8 isn't doing me any good without the hardware key... so if anyone is interested in a cheap upgrade, just email me at [email protected]

fourd
05-06-2004, 12:51 PM
:(

byte_fx
05-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Well - a friend of mine got three full sets of 8 - but he only get the one dongle from when he first bought the 7.5 + upgrade + dfx.

He's new to lw and loves it as much as I did (since v3.5) before all this customer service fiasco popped up.

Me ? - I'm in serious negotion with alias for a discount for converting to maya. Never thought that would happen but .... here we are.

byte_fx ..... really po'd at Newtek ....

JeF
05-06-2004, 04:10 PM
... customers [including me] are still waiting for their copies and some receive 3 instead of 1...

I can't believe this. It's a shame.

fourd
05-07-2004, 07:55 AM
If some one got extra cd's please send me one! With out the dongle it runs in Discovery Edition, and I would love to check it out! And seeing out Newtek won't tell me when it's coming available to order a DE, maybe someone can hook me up with it.

If you can send me your UN_DONGLED LW8 so I can check out the DE, please contact me by posting here and I'll email you, or you can email me at [email protected]

Thanks.