PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave HELP System (RTFM-Glossary)

SLAYER
05-01-2004, 03:37 PM
Hi,
Just wanted to say that while people have posted here on the help file not being that good, I am finding it to be one of the best I have ever seen in a program.

Some have said they do not like it because it is done with Flash, which it is, but not in an annoying way. It has everything laid out with alot of examples and there are even tutorials in it. The tutorials are pretty weak, but the UV ones seem pretty good.

I titled this thread what it is because in this help file there is a Glossary of 3D terms and RTFM is in there. I thought this was pretty funny. It did say "freaking" though rather than the F-bomb, but that is understandable of course.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how great this Help system is and the 8 upgrade is in general, because prior to my receiving 8, I was beginning to get a bit worried based off other peoples comments.

For me, it is alot of little things that make this a very nice upgrade.

theo
05-01-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm tellin' ya Slayer I'm just about get sick and tired of the whiners on this forum. I absolutely agree with you- the Help system is outstanding.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-01-2004, 05:26 PM
"prior to my receiving 8, I was beginning to get a bit worried based off other peoples comments"

That is good to hear. I was bummed to hear early reviewers expressing dissapointment in both Bone Dynamics and IKBoost. Looks like there is a lot to be happy about though...

Signal to Noise
05-01-2004, 05:36 PM
In fact this is what I posted a day or two ago on CGTalk:

Initial impressions:

I like the GUIs of both Modeler and Layout. Nicely organized and intuitive as far as the tool layout goes. It also has a "sharper' look compared to 7+. Very nice.

I LOVE the new on-line documentation! Searchable, loaded with content (as it should be), and fast. And it's even accessible from within LightWave! NewTek and the folks who've demo'd [8] weren't kidding when they claimed that this help system kicked *****.

badllarma
05-01-2004, 05:53 PM
I must admit I love the new help system not only is it at your finger tips you can just leave it open and carry on until you need it again , which with the keyboard short cuts being altered is often at present.

I also love the ability (in modeler) have not really used layout much to add your own short cut buttons to the bottom task bar excellent idea for those strugggling with the new short cut keys I now have undo and redo where they were in 7.5. :)

Ik boost just ROCKS :D Import your model with it skelegons, cvt Skelegons click IK boost right click IK boost in window set a few parameters and pow! ready to rock and roll character animation away!
As the days go by and as I slowly get used to the changes I am really starting to love this MUCH better work flow from where I am working :D

theo
05-01-2004, 05:57 PM
There is one drawback with the online help-

Call me a whiner but the outhouse is going to be a lonely place without the LW Manual. ;) I guess I know what to use the old one for. :D

Signal to Noise
05-01-2004, 06:09 PM
I plan to still order up a hardcopy manual when they become available. I like books and it'll look good on my Geek Shelf.;)

Original1
05-03-2004, 05:37 AM
Yeah, I still have a Newtek Buck that I was saving for that purpose, that way I can tell my wife it didn't cost much:p