PDA

View Full Version : How to Manually Input Your Permanent License Key (LW [8])

Signal to Noise
05-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Problem: After inputting your Permanent License number (the number you receive from NewTek after registering LightWave with your Dongle ID and Serial Number) in the Registration Wizard, LW still loads in demo mode.

I had this problem after registering my LightWave [8] upgrade and I noticed a few others had the same situation. For some users they said the second try with the Wizard worked. For myself and others it didn't matter how many attempts it still wouldn't work.

Note: YOU MUST REGISTER [8] AND RECEIVE A NEW LICENSE KEY FROM NEWTEK! YOUR PREVIOUS LICENSE USED FOR 7.5 & BELOW WILL NOT WORK!

Solution: Manually input the license number. It's easy. All you need to do is open the "license.key" and rewrite the number in there with your permanent number and save the file. Go to where ever you installed [8]. Default is "C:/Program Files/LightWave [8]. You'll find "license.key" sitting in the ".../LightWave [8]/Programs" folder. Right-click the file and choose Edit. Overwrite the number that's in there with your Permanent License that NewTek gave you. Save it and you're done!

I decided to post a separate topic on this subject for ease of searching. Hopefully the mod's don't mind.

kyfsu00
05-01-2004, 02:32 PM
I have changed the key manually and it is still loading in demo mode. any sugestions? do you have to uninstall lightwave 7 now that 8 is installed?

Signal to Noise
05-01-2004, 03:31 PM
kyfsu00, when you entered your new Permanent License number in the key file did you include the dashes between each set of four numbers? Make sure it's in the format 1234-5678-9012-3456. If it's still loading in Demo after saving the key file then you'll need to contact NewTek.

You can keep 7 on if you want. You can even run both 7 & 8 at the same time if you wish. I didn't see a need for 7 anymore (unless you have special plugs that rely solely on the older version) so I nuked mine from my pooters.

DJinNY
05-01-2004, 08:19 PM
KYfsuoo--Did you register LW8 and get a new registration number? You cant use the same Number that you have with LW7.5 .

kyfsu00
05-02-2004, 08:18 AM
yay figured it out. removed 7.5 thne the license key file changed to the one for 8. then changed the number and works all etter now.

thanks