PDA

View Full Version : best way to animate cars around an undulating race track?

cresshead
05-01-2004, 01:50 PM
"what's the best way to animate cars around an undulating race track?"

i've posted here and in the general area to try n catch somone's attention fee free to delete one [moderators] if i should only pst in one area....

hi

i have a race track model which changes in elevaltion so there are hills to go up and down as well as corners to drive around...

i made the track by rail extruding a shape around a curve so the curve is available

i do not want to use curve to path motion though as i want control of the accelerationand deceleration into the corners and also climbing hills and running down the other side of the hills

i need it to be quite convincing not 10 cars that look like their "on rails"

i've already started to animate the cars...the thing i'm animating is a null.

first i'm animating from the top view to get the null around the track at the right speed...
decelerating into and around a corner the accelerating out of the corner..

this isn't too bad as is...

but then i need to look in perspctive view and set the null onto the undulating surface of the road...that's the irritating bit!...

i know if i used the motion path that this would automatically do this but give me rubbish car motion...

is there any way to "snap" the null i'm using down onto the motion path or use just the "y" data of the path for the hand keyed animation i'm creating??

what would you dou do??

any pointers would help as i'm animating 10 cars!
around a fairly long race track.

cheers

steve g

cresshead
05-01-2004, 04:03 PM
thank's to the spinquad forum i think i have a solution!

here's the possible solution:::::::::
...i'll test it out tomorrow.

http://www.andynicholas.com/thezone/index.php?area=downloads

your looking for "vertigo"....

looks to be the ideal plugin for the job

Auger
05-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Vertigo saved my a** a few weeks back. I had to animate a truck with six sets of wheels rolling off a C-17. It worked flawlessly. The wheels did their thing automatically and I just had to animate the truck physics. I need to write a thank you to the author.:)

SplineGod
05-02-2004, 03:28 PM
You could also try selecting points of the track, generating a spline and exporting it as a motion path. Vertigo seems to be a good solution too. :)