PDA

View Full Version : DVD Authoring anyone?

FishersOfMen
04-30-2004, 11:06 PM
What is the best way to go about Authoring a DVD in VT3?

Is it possible to author a DVD in VT3?

Can you burn a DVD from within VT3? Or do I need to install Nero5 or Roxio6?

Would it be better to use Lightwave or Digital Juice for the buttons and background for the menus?

Why?

Thanks again for the guidance.

robewil
05-01-2004, 01:59 AM
This topic has come up numerous times. In summary, the three most popular solutions are:

1. Save project as a wrapped avi file. Render audio out as a wav file and use
Adobe Encore (http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/main.html) for encoding and authoring.

2. Save project as a VT3 Edit project and use the TMPGEnc (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tp.html) encoder and Ulead DVD Workshop (http://www.ulead.com/dws/runme.htm) for authoring.

3. (My personal choice) Save project as a VT3 Edit project and use the TMPGEnc (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tp.html) encoder and DVD-Lab (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html) for authoring.

Note that VT3 directly supports the TMPGEnc encoder. You just have to run the third-party installer and VT3 projects can import directly into TMPGEnc.

David Sisson
05-01-2004, 05:38 PM
About DVD-Lab, I bought it and it looks good but so far I have been able to get the audio to play on it. I presently am using the ULead movie factory but it's not versitile enough. robewil:( what am I doing wrong?

robewil
05-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by David Sisson
About DVD-Lab, I bought it and it looks good but so far I have been able to get the audio to play on it. I presently am using the ULead movie factory but it's not versitile enough. robewil:( what am I doing wrong? I assume you wanted to say that you have not been able to get audio to play.:)
Well, you're right, DVD-Lab doesn't see the VT as a sound card. I check my wav files before going to DVD-Lab. Not being able to hear the audio in DVD-Lab is a minor inconvenience for me.

FishersOfMen
05-02-2004, 07:35 AM
ok, Does DVD workshop or TMPGEnc burn to DVD? I missed that part. Do I still have to install Roxio or Nero?

I will look into getting TMPGEnc and DVD Workshop. I "think" I already have the trial versions.

Thanks again; GodSpeed~

Pete Draves
05-02-2004, 12:08 PM
There is a low cost companion to the TMpgen
the dvd authoring for this is fast easy to use and has a builtin encoder
It generated menu images both moving and still
for 60 bucks it is a deal

Adobe encore is for more hardcore authoring and will do encription
and mactovision dvd9 and dvd10 but will write these only to DLT

standard dvd5's can be written with its' built in burner

no need for other progtams
of all for quick not to glass master stansard dvd's I recoment Tmpgenc author
Pete

robewil
05-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by FishersOfMen
ok, Does DVD workshop or TMPGEnc burn to DVD? I missed that part. Do I still have to install Roxio or Nero?

I will look into getting TMPGEnc and DVD Workshop. I "think" I already have the trial versions.

Thanks again; GodSpeed~ There are two operations that need to be performed to create a DVD from VT3.

The first is encoding. Encoding is creating an MPEG-2 video stream (.m2v file) and a compliant audio file (48 khz PCM or AC-3). Although most DVD authoring packages offer the ability to encode. It is usually not their strong point which is why you so often see TMPGEnc as a recommended program for this. TMPGEnc allows users to customize virtually every facet of the encoding process and it can produce very high quality results. Eugene Kosarovich, who often posts in these threads, has stated that he prefers TMPGEnc's encoding quality to the built-in encoder of Ulead DVD Workshop. Adobe Encore includes the MainConcept MPEG-2 encoder which is also very good so TMPGEnc isn't really needed if you decide to go with Adobe Encore. One more thing I want to reiterate concerning TMPGEnc is that VT3 projects will directly load into TMPGEnc. I know, at least in theory, you can use the avi-wrapper with other encoders but I often see threads with people having problems doing this. I find the the VT3 to TMPGEnc solution to be very solid.

The next step is authoring where you import your video and audio, create menus, define chapters, and finally burn the DVD. The choice of authoring software is very subjective in what you feel comfortable with. First of all, I think everyone will agree that the rudimentary authoring program that comes with most DVD burners (Sonic's MyDVD) can be thrown out. Adobe Encore, Ulead DVD Workshop, and DVD-Lab are the three I have personally used. They all offer 30 day trials and I suggest you try each of them to find out what you are most comfortable with. Here are my personal opinions.

Ulead DVD Workshop: I tried it for 30 days and at first, found the interface awkward, but once I got used to it, I found it to be very solid. I should mention that the version I tried was 1.0, I have not seen version 2.

DVD-Lab:To me, this offers the most bang for the buck. It's very inexpensive ($99) and it is full featured and intuitive. It really can do just about everything the big boys can (except encode which is one reason it's inexpensive).

Adobe Encore: I tried this for 30 days and I think it's powerful and intuitive if you like Adobe products. I personally don't. In fact, I find it often confusing and too dependant on Photoshop which is what it's meant to work with.

FishersOfMen
05-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Robewil:

I must say you have been an invaluable responder to my question, and for that I am most gracious. Albeit that I am a Computer Technician by trade, and an "audio video nut" by hobby, my Pastor offered me the opportunity to expand my knowledge by running the complete video production for our church. We air on two different cable networks, and have started offering VHS and DVD copies of our services. My Pastor invested a great deal of money in our new system and I am eager to learn and expand both my knowledge and God's message.

Thank you for being forthcoming with such detailed posts. My greatest difficulty has been creating the menus and front ends for the DVD production.

Agreeably, and with an extremely limited budget, the Ulead product is out of range for where we are productionally speaking. I did explore the trial copy, and found it unwieldy for a "beginner" as I currently classify myself.

Although my wife loves Adobe products for her graphics design projests (and the church bulletins and newsletters), again I must concurr that Adobe is all about photoshop. I use PaintShop Pro and produce results as good as Photoshop, with less expense:) .

I've decided to follow your guidance with TMPGEnc and DVD-Lab. They appear to have what I need within the range I can support. I was on the DVD-Lab site, and they now offer a bundle package for $128 with TMPGEnc and DVD-Lab together called DVD-Source Creator. After I work the trial periods, would it be better to go this route or remain with two separate programs?

Again, thank you for your detailed and informative posts. Judging from your replies, there may not be much I can offer you in way of thanks - at least on a technical level. However I will put in a good word for you with the Big Boss ;) and hope that someday I can help someone as well as you have helped me.

GodSpeed.

robewil
05-02-2004, 07:03 PM
I've decided to follow your guidance with TMPGEnc and DVD-Lab. They appear to have what I need within the range I can support. I was on the DVD-Lab site, and they now offer a bundle package for $128 with TMPGEnc and DVD-Lab together called DVD-Source Creator. After I work the trial periods, would it be better to go this route or remain with two separate programs?
Get the bundle. It will save you money and as far as I can tell, it's the same as getting the programs separately.
Judging from your replies, there may not be much I can offer you in way of thanks - at least on a technical levelThat's why these forums exist. I have received a ton of valuable information here. I couldn't begin to thank all the people who have helped me. The best way to thank people here is to make your own contributions to this forum as your level of expertise grows.

ScorpioProd
05-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Just wanted to add that it can also be benefitial to have a true burning program for actually burning the DVDs.

Though authoring programs can burn to DVD, they tend to be more limited in how they do it and can't burn to more than one drive at a time.

I always author my DVDs to a disc image on the hard drive, and then I use a burning program to make my actual DVDs.

Roxio you should stay away from, Nero is good, but my personal favorite is RecordNow Max. It works great for burning four DVDs at a time, which is the number of burners I have in my VT3 system.

Also, remember to NEVER install the packet writing software that often comes with burning programs on a VT3 system.

ScorpioProd
05-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Oh, and here's some URLs to take a look at for getting the most out of TMPGEnc.

http://www.professionaleventvideo.com/tmpdirections.htm

http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html

The first one is my own article, I haven't had a chance to update it yet since VT[3] Patch 3 came out, but it's still mostly correct.

And it should give you a really good starting point. :)

David
05-02-2004, 10:58 PM
I have installed and uninstalled all day long and I finally get the AVI wrapper to work in Adobe Encore (for small projects that is), but I did a long form project 2 hours long. When I loaded the AVI Wrapper it just kept grinding away at my 4 73 Gig 10,000 Seagate Cheetah hard drives. I thought it was just loading. When I looked at the windows task manager Encore said not responding, then running, not responding, then running over and over for about 8 hours.

This is a big waste of time, I may still use Encore, ($549.00 and $99 for upgrade) but not with the AVI Wrapper and not for encoding. If anyone has a clue on what I could be doing wrong let me know!!! I used all DV files in my project, captured with TED with integrated DV audio, maybe I should have used RTV's but that would have taken up too much drive space. I don't know how the AVI Wrapper is supposed to work are there certain file types you can't use?

mgrusin
05-03-2004, 12:31 PM
When I loaded the AVI Wrapper it just kept grinding away at my 4 73 Gig 10,000 Seagate Cheetah hard drives

I'd guess that all that activity is VT caching the hard parts of your project, which is basically rendering possibly large chunks of it. If you don't have enough drive space for this (maybe memory space as well), this could be the problem. If you can't get the wrapper to work, and you don't have the drive space to render to RTV (80GB/hour), I'd recommend rendering to DV type 2 at 13GB/hour, which will still look very good.

-MG.

mgrusin
05-03-2004, 12:36 PM
I was on the DVD-Lab site, and they now offer a bundle package for $128 with TMPGEnc and DVD-Lab together called DVD-Source Creator.
From my very limited testing (installing the free trial, trying it, then uninstalling it because it didn't work), "TMPGEnc Source Creator" doesn't integrate well with VT because the VT Third-Party Installer doesn't know about it so it can't find it and install the proper plugin.

This doesn't mean it won't work with VT; you can always save your project using the AVI Wrapper, which TSC should ;) be able to read. However I recommend purchasing the full TMPGEnc, which isn't that much more expensive, integrates nicely with VT, gives you more options, and I've heard works better in certain situations (noise-reduction filter for one).

By the way, I am becoming more and more of a fan of DVD-Lab. The pro beta is incredible, allowing almost every deep DVD feature to be utilized such as ML programming, and then throws in high-level objects so you may not even need to get your hands dirty. For example there's now a "playlist" object which allows you to have multiple playlists for standing assets - no more multiple copies of the same asset just so that you can play things in a different order. (This is exactly what I needed for my last client, and it appeared exactly when I needed it, so forgive me; I've got the gospel in me). :o :o ;)

Even the long-standing AC-3 crisis may finally be over; the TMPGEnc people have a $30 AC-3 plug-in for their DVD Author which will also work in DVD-Lab. I'm using it and although it's light on settings, so far it's working like a charm.

After a rocky start, my DVDs are now solid and looking good (thanks Eugene!) and only getting better. :D -MG.

robewil
05-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by mgrusin
From my very limited testing (installing the free trial, trying it, then uninstalling it because it didn't work), "TMPGEnc Source Creator" doesn't integrate well with VT because the VT Third-Party Installer doesn't know about it so it can't find it and install the proper plugin.
Thanks for checking that mgrusin. That's pretyy significant because there are obvious issues with the avi-wrapper. I saw the blurb on MediaChance.com and it appeared as if they just bundled TMPGEnc along with DVD-Lab. I guess I was wrong, now that I looked further into it. Since it's only $25.00 more to buy them separately, that's probably the way to go.

Buy the way, I'm glad someone else agrees with me about the quality product, DVD-Lab is. I'm considering upgrading to the pro version when it comes out.