PDA

View Full Version : hats off to the [8] interface team

themaxx
04-30-2004, 10:17 PM
i've seen many remarks bashing the [8] UI, and i've gotta say i disagree with its critics. i've spent this evening exploring [8] and think the [8] UI is quite an improvement.

Signal to Noise
04-30-2004, 10:58 PM
I agree. The GUI is very intuitive, well organized, and has a certain crisp clean feel and look to it. Besides, it's still highly customizable.

Kudos!

T-Light
04-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Agreed.

I like the the design, very crisp and functional.

Still working my through the why's and wherefore's though.

This is not a crit. Anyone who hasn't recieved or ordered
8 yet, this is a VERY different beast.

papou
05-01-2004, 07:20 AM

papou
05-01-2004, 07:31 AM
The Ui is very functional and intuitive.
it is more readable with group title.

But it's ugly when you are looking about detail, it look like unfinished. I know it's not the most important thing for many of lw users... maybe.
But, i think nobody have work on the Ui design. Only Ui workflow.
I can't believe that. Look like a non pro app.

When you look about users observations (like Matt, Rigley,...), the actual UI design of lw8 is a shame.

theo
05-01-2004, 10:36 AM
This is such an incredibly subjective issue why bother bringing it up really.

But I do have an opinion- I think the interface is excellent. It looks like it's ready to work. I don't care much for "pretty" and "fluffy 'faces". I want an environment where I can roll up my sleeves and work the crap out of the software.

Uh- papou... the interface is pretty much supposed to be an enabler and not a "pretty picture" hanging on your monitor.

papou
05-01-2004, 11:16 AM
comeon theo, im not waiting about Art interface. I just prefer to work with aligned button, balanced space, etc...

theo
05-01-2004, 12:22 PM
In an odd sort of quirky way I like the chaos of non-alignment. So to have every single symbol exquisitely centered introduces too much harmony so, in my opinion, a bit of visual imbalance is cool.

The GUI designers abviously knew that some of the icons are non-aligned which leads me to believe that this might be a planned visual fractalization scheme.

Papou go out and get some ice cream man and enjoy your weekend.

papou
05-01-2004, 12:35 PM
the chaos of non-alignment is disturbing for me.
Ice cream was refreshing, thnx.

Zach
05-01-2004, 01:00 PM
I like it too. I think the brushed metal look was getting a little old. Nice to see it cleaned up a bit.

I do find it hard to read the buttons in the dialogue panels though. I'm still praying for having multiple object properties panels open at once. I kind of hope that every panel ends up being open at once. I mean, since you have the TAB key, why don't we just fill up both monitors with panels?

Friggin' Kewl upgrade dude!

z

Chris S. (Fez)
05-01-2004, 01:21 PM
"the chaos of non-alignment is disturbing for me"

I gotta save "disturbing" for walking in on my girlfriend's dad strutting around in his underwear, but I agree.

"this might be a planned visual fractalization scheme."

Theo, you are probably kidding but I am just going to pretend you are not.

Obviously anyone can barf on a canvas and call it art, but in this case I am not sure you should defend sloppiness with such abstractions.

Overwhelmingly symmetrical and centered subjects are certainly considerations when composing canvas space for paintings or screen space for films, but I personally do not think these apply to LW 8's interface "flaws." Presentation is important. I don't expect pixel perfection but some of the Lightwave 8 ui strikes me as sloppy. I personally want my eyes to be drawn to whatever I am working on, not to misplaced pixels all around the workspace.

But then again I am only going by posted screen shots so I am posting pretty blindly here :)!

BTW Mint chocolate chip ice cream kicks ***...

hrgiger
05-01-2004, 01:59 PM
I like the new 8 interface. It doesn't feel as "broken up" to me as did the 7 interface. I'm talking more in sense of aesthetics rather then tool placement.