PDA

View Full Version : Problems with textures.

MJMProdLLC
04-30-2004, 08:27 PM
I am a new user of lightwave and I am working my way through some tutorials and examples. I seem to have a problem with the surface editor. None of the preloaded surfaces and or textures are showing up. How do I either load them in or point the browser to the correct location?

digimassa
05-01-2004, 02:07 AM
:cool:
this is very basic knowledge and you should learn it from your manual,
if you dont find your manual, you can download pdf from newtek

MJMProdLLC
05-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Thank you for that very knowledgeable reply.

Like I said, I am new at this and up until this point I have only been modeling. When consulting the manual on this issue I look up texture editor which tells me to look at surface editor which leads me to image mapping. The book is great for telling me how to change the values within the editor but I cant seem to find the part that tells you how to access the preloaded surfaces and textures.

bloontz
05-01-2004, 08:06 AM
Look for the "Presets" button. The preset window is contextual so it changes depending on the active window. If the surface editor is active you will see general surface presets.

digimassa
05-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by MJMProdLLC
Thank you for that very knowledgeable reply.

LW needs some learning, either you start now or later, but there is no other way, you cannot work through tutorials without any knowledge of basic functions, this is what I tried to tell you, believe it or not:D

You create surfaces in modeller and save them with objects, so if you change surfaces in Layout you also have to save the objects, surface is not a scene property.

mkiii
05-02-2004, 07:42 AM
You could have least pointed him towards the correct part of the manual digimassa. (Chapters 3.11, 31.7), not that they tell you much.

In fact, this is not what I would call 'very basic knowledge', especially when the information pertaining to it is spread across the manual, and contains only minimal information. It's not as if he asked how to make a box is it.

He said he had problems using the presets panel, not saving surfaces.

MJM:
Ideally, just create basic surfaces in modeler. LW is still geared up to do all the more complex surfacing in Layout. There you will find the presets button on the Menu. You Should also find it im modeler (mine is missing for some reason)

If by some chance you just mean you can't see surfaces listed on the Surfaces panel, try clicking on the small arrow just above the Load, Save, Rename buttons to toggle the list.

If you can't find a button for Presets in modeler, press ALT+F9, look in the LH column for the Windows section. In here you will find Presets Panel. Select this, select an empty key & hit assign.

You can do a similar thing with Alt+F10 to drag & drop the command to a suitable menu on the RH side.

If you mean something completely different, just say.

MJMProdLLC
05-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Digimassa,
I see your point and it is well taken but I am going from a paper artist to computer animator in 3 weeks. The only expereince I have had prior to this is AutoCAD for mechanical and electrical. So, there are those time when you find your wheels spinning and you just need the help of someone to word something different or get you headed in the right place.

Thank you mkiii and bloontz for your advice. Between the two of you I got exactly what I needed.

digimassa
05-02-2004, 01:11 PM
:cool:
Uups, sorry, I really was in a wrong way and thought, MJMProdLLC wants to know how to save surfaces^^