PDA

View Full Version : *POLL*- LW8 Tutorials, DVD or Website?

HowardM
04-30-2004, 08:00 PM
PLEASE VOTE HERE! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=141427) <------- :)

Hey guys and gals,

My friend and I are thinking of creating a set of LW8 tutorials.
Character Animation and Dynamics Special Effects.
I wanted to get some of your opinions about what you, the users wanted?

To begin with, would you rather have a couple of volumes of DVDs at a fair price? (beginner, intermediate, advanced)

Or would you rather go to a website, and pick and choose from short, precise Quicktimes (focused on particular techniques or tools) at low prices?
You could pick and choose from a database of 100's of short tutorials, and decide exactly what you want to learn!
The site could also be updated with extras, new tutorials, etc...it would be a living database!
Who knows if it takes off, perhaps others could sell their tuts on this database of tips and techniques?

Would beginners know what Tuts to look for? I guess we could have a help section to get them started.
Intermediates would know what they want and could find it.
Would Advanced users even care? After all they are advanced!

Thanks for any input.
We look forward to helping out the community!

Carm3D
04-30-2004, 08:19 PM
web is quick and convenient. I vote for that, but either way would be cool.

HowardM
04-30-2004, 08:31 PM
I agree, and it can be updated and grow as a community!
btw, if you dont mind PLEASE VOTE HERE! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=141427)

Carm3D
04-30-2004, 08:46 PM
okay ;)

Wow, my vote was powerful! I just doubled the impact of my party!

HowardM
04-30-2004, 08:50 PM
:D

lasvideo
04-30-2004, 09:02 PM
I prefer DVDs. I believe in having all info archived on a readily accesible medium...just in case.

siproductions
04-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Same here lasvideo. Besides I still can't get highspeed internet where I'm at so I can't really download big files like that.

SamuraiSlayer
04-30-2004, 09:22 PM
I would personally like to have some DVDs with the basics on them and then be able to go to a website to choose more in-depth volumes, with the option of watching a quicktime OR buying a DVD

and you could add a free texture collection to each DVD volume

so my vote is kinda both :)

lede
04-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Howard I already voted web based. I like the idea of grabbing the content video on what I need to learn. High speed is great for me since I work at a University and can get great download rates.

I would like to ask that you add camera basics like dolly shots, etc... I've gotten some books on the subject but I think there is something missing in a book that a video could explain better.

-Lee

richdj
05-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Either is good, the more there are the better.

Firstly, advanced users, well there are some exceptionaly gifted Lightwavers out there (i'm not one of them), I hope that they still think that they can learn from others.. I know people who are more advanced than me and I've been able to help them, and I've had people who weren't as advanced show me things....

Whatever you do, make sure that it's informative, accurate and fun. It is extremely annoying listening to someone who has no emotion in their voice or passion for what there doing, or when they are obviously reading from a script/book. Short tutorials are great for specific things, what a specific tool does/and why, or how to change this that or the other, etc. when they are to the point, you can relax a bit on the presentation (emotion) but only a bit. If you go for the DVD option of say a project based tutorial which again is great, especially for the beginner or less confident Lightwaver, you will need to make sure that you can retain their attention for the length of the tutorial. We all, regardless of why were looking at tutorials, want to learn, and we want to enjoy it.

I hope whatever you, possibly a mixture, will work out for you and your audience....

Cheers

Rich

erich
05-01-2004, 08:10 AM
I like the way the Simplylightwave site does it...except without the point system. :)

retinajoy
05-01-2004, 08:23 AM
I voted for web based. It is then easy to make ammendments or have extra supporting material made available to clarify points.

SamuraiSlayer
05-01-2004, 11:15 AM
web-based does sound great but you have to consider people with dial-up/slow connections and also beginners that don't know where to start. I think at least for the beginners you should have a DVD/DVDs that would guide them through the basics. This could even work online with a "Beginners' Package" or something like that, but I think that a lot of people would just rather have a DVD, like me. Slow connections and unreliable connections will be a problem with your online thing, too, so you will almost have to compensate for that. Part of what I like about the DVD thing is that (1) I would always have the tutorial on a permanent type of storage and I could have a little collection on my bookshelf/movieshelf. (2) I could watch it on my DVD player without even having to use my computer. (3) I could have more than 4GB's of info on a disc that's not crowding up my hard drive space. I would also know that if your online database went down for a long long long time, my DVD volumes would keep coming in the mail

I think i'll stop right there :)