PDA

View Full Version : Scripting, UI

gjjackson
04-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Not sure how many would agree, but I thought maybe instead having LScript they could implement something like or VBA itself. VBA is pretty versatile and something on that order IMO would be an improvement. I use another HighEnd program that has VBA built in. I have Microsoft's VBA package and it's very easy to implement in your software.

As far as the UI. I think it shouldn't be too hard to have a designer in LW where a person could actually develop their own UI. This could also be something accomplished with VBA package, because all the buttons etc are just commands to the program so why not have a designer that could implement those internal commands. You would have a 'FactoryGlobals' file that contain all the inherent commands. It seems there are always discussions about UI in many of the 3D apps and this could be a real selling point, at least to my thinking. I would assume it could be somewhat like the LiteStep shell for Windows Explorer.

Also using the VBA and designer one could essentially make their own built in plugins. This would be something similar to the macros but much more versatile.

So, is this a good idea or am I just blowing smoke, since I'm smoking writing this.

Mylenium
05-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Nope, I sincerely hope not.

a) VBA is Windows only. You should expect some major outrage from Mac and Linux users.

b) Why would I want to have such ugly MS-Standard interfaces in a 3D app?

c) 3D apps are coded in C and C++ and LScript is much closer to that. Why would anyone want to develop yet another interpreter for VBA?

d) VB has a lot of limitations that makes it just as cumbersome to work with it as with some workarounds in the current LScript.

e) If ever another language, Java/ JavaScript would be much more preferable. It's standardized, available for nearly every OS and "open". Also you can find much better help/ tutorials on the web which is important for new and entry level users. It's also very error tolerant and the syntax is more clear than even in LScript (you know, those terrible legacy fragments of C syntax that do magic but noone really understands).

Lastly, one personal observation: Not naming that highend app (XSI, I assume) is somewhat coward and there's really no need for it here.

Mylenium

gjjackson
05-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Good point. I'd overlooked Javascript. That would probably be the best alternative. That would also accomplish the UI feature also. The only time I've used Javascript is in web pages so I overlooked it. I knew VBA is Windows but I thought Mac's had a scripting language that would accomplish the same thing. Don't know anything about Mac's.

The HighEnd application actually has nothing to do with 3D. It's a Scada (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition). I didn't mention it because I figured No One here would have any idea what I was talking about.

Your last line is unwarranted. You could've just asked a question instead of being so rude. This is a forum for ideas and I was just putting mine forward because for once I actually had one.

Jinxius
05-03-2004, 06:45 AM
If I remember this good, the latest release of XSI should have all scripting languages added for creating things.

This is the list :
Python, Perl, VBScript e JScript and some more I believe.

Jinxius.

Gregor
05-03-2004, 03:08 PM
I've been wishing for the ability to use Python with Lightwave for quite some time now.

To me, Java or Perl would add absolutely no benefit. (I'm allergic to pretty much any language with a strong family resemblance to the syntax of C, and those two are near enough that I might as well just cope with LScript or C++ instead.)

I dislike VB on the grounds that it's evil. :)

Of course, I remember when LW still used ARexx.