PDA

View Full Version : My first Impressions of [8]

ACLOBO
04-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Well, I have to say that I have barely scratched the surface. I have more been looking around and seeing what is new and all. First of all I have noticed that [8] seems a lot more stable. Although I didn't have too many problems with 7.5c on my wintel machine, with certain scenes of mine, it would crash about 25% of the time when clearing that certain scene. I am happy to say that I have been loading, clearing, adding and deleting plugins and such and LW[8] seems to be very stable. I have not been able to make it crash yet! I have to do some cooking here, so I will not be able to play with it more until later this evening, but I look forward to poking around and discovering things until I get my hands on a manual!

So, good job to the folks at Newtek for a job (so far) well done!

:D

-Adrian

p.s. Is it just me or does Fprime seem to work a little faster with [8] as well? Just feels better... :D

ACLOBO
04-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Ok, one of the things that I had read about [8] was that you could make polys in symetry mode. SO, this is the case if the points on either side are already laid out - you then select the points and make the poly. It works fine.....

HOWEVER, if you are in "create point" mode with symetry on, make the points on one side of the axis and then try to make the poly without exiting the tool, you will get a big crash and be back to your desktop. Just a little warning folks.

So, who do I contact about this BUG?

-Adrian

BeeVee
04-30-2004, 05:15 PM
I already reported it. The solution is being worked on, and the short-term fix is to remove the new version of Make Poly and replace it with the standard one. To do this, hit Alt-F9 to bring up the Keyboard Shortcuts window, go to p on the righthand list, select the Make Poly there and then hit the Find button over on the right. This should highlight another Make Poly function, but this time in the Create group (rather than the Modeler Tools group). Assign this one instead and you'll have the 7.5 Make Poly back for the time being.

B

Ratboy
04-30-2004, 05:42 PM
The OpenGL's got some nice new features now, mainly with multitexturing:

firstsingle
04-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Looking good Ratboy!

mkiii
05-01-2004, 05:07 AM
When I press p to create a polygon, the points are not de-selected, making it necessary to manually deselect the points before I can create another poly.

The 'Eliminate unused points from selection' setting in the Edit Modeler Tools panel, seems to have no effect.

Using the ''Other'' Make Polygon tool fixes this.

What is are the supposed benefits of this 'new' Make Polygon tool, other than offering the option to swap the selection mode to Polygon & to leave the points selected after creation, neither of which I can forsee wanting as a default?

I have to ask, why do Newtek put different commands into modeler that have the same name?

We have 2 identically named, but different Make Polygon tools, and 2 identically named but different Paste tools.

What other un-documented duplicate commands are lurking in there?

Dodgy
05-01-2004, 10:26 AM
I find the selected points annoying too.

Th advantage is you can build two polys in symmetry mode, but they should consolidate the two, like a lot of the tools in modeler.

cc3d
05-03-2004, 01:32 PM
I have had several crashes with 8 so far. Not a lot, but happen when ALT-Tab from modeler to layout.

Also, I know I can change this, but the new CTRL-C, V, X windows conventions for modeler are wither going to take some getting used to in modeler, or I'm just gonna have to change it back. Funny how it's second nature in all other windows apps, but in modeler it throws me.

New IK features are cool.

New dynamics are integrated well and cool.

New help system REALLY helps in checking out new features.

miss my manual/reference guide for those extra lengthy visits to the head!

WizCraker
05-03-2004, 03:16 PM
I've had a lot of crashes with the new features. 7.5c runs rock solid with maybe a crash 2% of the time.

The only useful new feature that has not crashed on me is Extender Plus.

As for everything else maybe when LW goes Live officially there will be a 8.2 patch.

Darksuit
05-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Undo has also changed from the old u command to the atypical Ctrl-Z.

The only crash I have had so far was when i was attempting to load up one of the demos from the Sas-lite, into modler. That bombed the whole machine. So far thats the only crash I have been able to accomplish. Though I am not trying too hard.

New2Lw
05-03-2004, 03:54 PM
miss my manual/reference guide for those extra lengthy visits to the head!

Second that!

Eric

cc3d
05-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Okay, just gave up and changed all my cut, paste, etc back to single letter commands

I always use a command script I call SAVEALL and it is simpley the save all objects and save scene command. I install it and then add it to my top menu. Now when I do that, it forgets it everytome I restart layout.

???

GeorgeDittmar
05-03-2004, 06:09 PM
i think its ok but its a pain having to remap alot of stuff and to hunt down tools in layout. i do like how it renders faster now though

GeorgeDittmar
05-03-2004, 07:16 PM
hey does any one know why when i click on a lightwave file it keeps opening lw 7.5c and i cant seem to set it to open in lw8

Arogg3
05-10-2004, 01:07 PM
First Impressions:
I hate it!!!
Why:
I hate learning redone GUIs

Thank goodness I finished all ongoing projects in 7.5 (had 8 for near 2wks before I even installed). Good thing too... Loaded my last 7.5 project in 8, took me more time than I want to admit figuring out how to show the hypervoxels screen (hate the online help---- want a REAL manual).
Oh... btw... anyone know an easy way to get UNDO in Modeler a one stroke operation (like 7.5).

Don't get me wrong... I love LW... Just that its hard to teach an old dog new GUIs.

WizCraker
05-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Arogg3
Oh... btw... anyone know an easy way to get UNDO in Modeler a one stroke operation (like 7.5).

CTRL+Z

or if you want to make it back to 7.5 keyboard shortcuts change the Keyboard prefrence to whatever key you want it to.

Darksuit
05-10-2004, 07:47 PM
They Moved Undo to the more Microsoft way of doing things of Ctrl-Z, however like 7.5c and before that you can reset the Shot cut keys.

multipasser
05-12-2004, 07:06 PM
lw8 is nothing more than 7.5c with some extra free plugins and dynamicfx. Packed in a ugly and not so userfriendly GUI.

I cant say it enough, newtek WAKE UP. If you continue like this, there will never be a Lightwave.v10

Lots of 3D company's choose the hard way and did a full rewrite. Maybe this should be an option imo. Or at least make rendere 5x better and faster.

Dodgy
05-13-2004, 06:44 AM
You could say Maya 6 is just maya 5 with photoshop intergration... Certainly isn't a WOW factor with their latest release. And how much do you pay for that?

Frankly LW 8 is a hell of a lot more than just the dynamics. Bone Dynamics/IKB, the new dopesheet/scene manager, bone editing tools, set-up tools, Dope track, and lots of little tiny tweaks. And how much do you pay for that?

Considering this is a new team, I think they've done well to get all this stuff in. I can't wait for the next revision..

cc3d
05-13-2004, 02:46 PM
sounds a lot like sour grapes to me, LW 8 has really integrated a lot of things that needed integration. It's made some earlier features better by making them less trouble to incorporate.

There are bugs and a good handful as far as crashing at the worst times, but NT will get these reduced with 8.0a I'm sure.

It was worth the ~$500 upgrade!

Darksuit
05-14-2004, 01:20 PM
One of the small things that I really like in LW[8] so far has been the Weld Point Average. Maybe I am just silly for liking all the little things that NEWTek has done With LW[8].

Though I have the spare time to sit down and play with it, when not playing CoH.