PDA

View Full Version : Popping Pixels

d8ed
03-21-2003, 05:04 AM
i've been getting popping pixels in this animation i'm working on.. just white pixels at random places. at first i thought it was digital confusion so i went with normal dof.. that didnt help. then i thought it was my area light quality so i turned it up to 4 and that didnt help either. now i'm starting to wonder. the scene is lit with 3 areas and has normal dof applied. enhanced med AA. any ideas what it could be? it's in the frames as well as the .mov so dont tell me it's in the compression. also dof is creating a buzzing in the background towards the end of animation.. any ideas how to fix that also? i'd rather not have to turn up the AA any higher if i don't have to.

www.gluge.com/george/ScooterAnim4.mov

sorenson 3 quicktime movie

thanks

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 07:25 AM
I wish I could help you more, because I've had the same probelm in the past and it drove me buggy. It hasn't happened yet since I got my new computer but I doubt that's it. And I can tell you, it's not digital confusion because I've never used it and I've had the popping pixels before too. What resolution are you rendering too? You might try upping it a little and see if you have the same problem. Since I've had my new system, I render in higher resolution since I can spare the clock cycles and it hasn't been a problem yet for me.

d8ed
03-21-2003, 07:28 AM
it's D1 res.. 720x486 with a slight limited region. gonna put this animation to tape to see if it shows up. i sure hope it doesnt. never seen this before. i could re-render it a little larger but i need it to be D1 for transfer purposes. i guess i could always resize but i'd rather not. gotta get these projects rendered and slapped on that demo tape. ;)

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Well, it might not be the answer anyway. I know I had the problem before with something that I had applied a procedural texture too. And I know they can sometimes cause a jitter. Could they also cause the white pixels?

d8ed
03-21-2003, 10:15 AM
it's possible they're causing the jittering on the ground but the popping pixels are only happening on standard surfaces. reflective surfaces. i tested it on tape and it's not noticeable so i'm gonna ignore it for now. i thought it might have something to do with tiffs so i gave targas a shot and it did it there too. they almost look like they're part of the surface ;)

Lamont
03-21-2003, 01:58 PM
I just looked at it w/out reading much of the posts, and it looks like it's connected with that surface(s).

d8ed
03-21-2003, 08:19 PM
those surfaces are nothing special unfortunately. not a single procedural texture, just straight metallic surface for one and a reflective surface for the other with a IFW2 Blinn and Diffuse shader applied. since it's happening on both, i dont think it's the IFW2 texture's fault. spent way too much time trying to figure this out. i went back and hand touched up the offending images. took a while to hand cycle through them to identify the offending frames but it got the job done. thanks for the help.