PDA

View Full Version : Instances in modeler is back

titane357
04-30-2004, 01:40 AM
Hello LW8 users.

If people is interrested in Instancing in Modeler, this is the place.

My work is essentially architectural renderings.
I DON'T WANT to switch to another soft because I like modeling and rendering with LW.
Why NT can't understand that is "impossible" to manage hundreds of indentical objects in a scene without having a decent instancing system in modeler ?
I mean changing one instance modify the all.
Could be a good thing too for reducing some models polygon count.
Not a clone-think-like, but a real rock solid systeme with "Xref like" system.

Come on, it's time. :D

mkiii
04-30-2004, 08:54 AM
Yes Instancing would be a welcome additional tool, but for the moment you can do the following (without additional plugins).

Just make one of these objects & save it then use Load from file in Layout & add them there rather than in modeler.

You could also use a proxy of your single object by putting a point in place of each duplicate, in a background layer & when you are finished, use Point Clone Plus to create multiple placed copies.
If these are sided, you can do them in batches, and tell the tool to rotate them when necessary.

titane357
04-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Sure

That's what NT can reply...

Unfortunally there's too many objects like this and just remember that there's no snaping in layout and for arrays thanks a lot to FamilyClone_GN. :(

ingemar
05-03-2004, 07:53 AM
Working with instances in layout is at best clumsy. For arch vis this command must be really smooth as it's used quite a lot. Isn't instancing in modeller only a "special case" of symmetry (or vice versa)?

retinajoy
05-03-2004, 10:52 AM
To have a well thought out instancing system in Lightwave has my vote.

paulrus
05-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Why not use HD Instance?

http://www.happy-digital.com/instance.asp

Paul

ingemar
05-05-2004, 09:32 AM
HD Instance is nice, but setting up furniture with only nulls to guide you gets tricky after a while. I end up making too many test renders just to see what I'm doing (and no, HD Instance doesn't work with FPrime as far as I can tell).

retinajoy
05-05-2004, 09:39 AM
...and there is no HD instance for the MAC people, plus it has some limitations because of LWs SDK limitations.

kyuzo
05-05-2004, 10:11 AM
I've used powergons a few times in the past to align multiple objects. Because Layout looks for the original object/layer all 'instances' are updated simultaneously.
There was quite a good tut on powergons on NT's site in the not too distant past.

Derek

titane357
05-06-2004, 01:13 AM
Remember that HD_intance is a plug in.

I like plug ins that can help.
But if one day it will not be updated or broken by new LW features, what happens ?

Instancing should be a basic feature in LW.

Powergon is great. But is not so fun to use.

In architectural jobs (and other) we need to have feedbak in Modeller, not in Layout.
Modeller is sooo much powerfull for layer browsing and more.

Hope NT is listening.