PDA

View Full Version : Installing LightWave with VT3

ted
04-30-2004, 01:05 AM
Any tips for installing a full version of LightWave on a VT system?
It seems that some people had issues.
Dang I hate when a system dies!:mad:

Paul Lara
04-30-2004, 07:53 AM
Shouldn't be any problems, Ted, since LightWave, like VT[3], installs to its own root folder.

prospector
04-30-2004, 08:38 AM
When I do the Auto feature (set DVEs and checks disk speed)
it tells me that I have multiple copies of some files (LW7.5 and then from LW in the VT2 suite) and may cause problems.

Which ones should I delete to remedy that before I install LW8 (if it ever gets here in Calif)?

RomainR
04-30-2004, 08:43 AM
As Paul said, just install it. But I do suggest making Short cut on your desktop that will redirect the config files.

I'll try to explain. So that the config files of the VT[3] LightWave and the config files of LightWave don't get overwritten by one another, you need to store the LightWave config files to a different directory than the default.

Here's how:

I suggest that you create a folder in the LightWave\Programs directory that you call config.

Now Create a shortcut on your desktop for Layout.
rightclick on the shortcut and choose properties.
in the Target field enter the following:

D:\LightWave_75\Programs\LightWav.exe -cL:\LightWave_75\Programs\config

The blue part is to point to the executable file.
The orange part is to indicate where to find the config files.
Since I use my network for renderings I set the path on a network drive. I can explain further if you need me to.

Now you need to do the same for modeler
Repeat the above steps, just make the blue part point to the modeler executable.

Now launch LightWave and then quit it.
Now launch Modeler and then quit it.

I had you do that so that the config files would get written.
Every time you quit Layout or Modeler the config files get written.

Now you can rest at ease knowing that VT LightWave and LightWave each have their own set of config files.

Have A Great Day.

RomainR
04-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Hello Prospector.

I get the same messages. It never caused any problems for me here.

At least that's what I like to think.

ted
04-30-2004, 12:17 PM
At 3:30am this morning I got all programs including VT3 installed smoothly, and with a lot of work backed up, I figured we'd get by with the LW on VT3. (If it ain't broke...) Besides, I can't think of anything the VT3 LW can't do that we need.

I'll print this and work on it when I can.
Thanks so VERY much. This is a great community in times like this!

Tom Wood
04-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Ted,

It's my understanding that the LW that comes with VT3 -is- a full version of LW, it's simply tied to the VT3 card as if it were a dongle. We just have to wait a little longer for the upgrade path.

One thing that bugged me during Patch 2 is that it found my desktop shortcuts for Layout and Modeler and removed the custom directions to the config locations, even though I'd moved the location to its own root folder. So I'd recommend keeping a backup of those configs if they contain important settings.

TW

prospector
04-30-2004, 02:05 PM
RomainR..I don't THINK mine do either.
At least I hope there is nothing there that may slow the VT down.

I just don't like seeing those. And now would be a time to starighten it out when I load LW8.