PDA

View Full Version : Shading improvements

Jinxius
04-29-2004, 10:51 AM
Just a simple one : Specular color based on [T] Texture instead of simple Color Highlights...currently is somewhat limited.

And a very requested one : Gradient Input that ranges from -180 to +180.

Cheers,
Jinxius.

wacom
04-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Am I not reading your post right? Can't this be done by making a gradient that is bumped based for the specular channel? You can even add an alpha based on light incedent angle to this to get more control...

Jinxius
04-30-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by wacom
Am I not reading your post right?

You're right, you're not reading it right....i dont' want to control the specular amount using alpha maps or textures, I meant that we should be able to control the specular highlight color using color maps o color textures...hope this time you'll understand.

Jinxius.

UnCommonGrafx
04-30-2004, 06:44 AM
You can do that now, as I understand it: turn up color highlights and it will pick up the color of whatever is under the spec.

If this isn't what you mean, your explanation isn't clear enough.

Jinxius
04-30-2004, 07:02 AM
No, i'll be more specific this time.

I want the possibility to control the specular color channel not using the color channel....color highilights would do this : use color channel to control highlight colors.

I want a separate specular color channel.
This should make things clear :

Color [ ] [T]
Diffuse [ ] [T]
Specular [ ] [T]
Specular Color [ ] [T]

And an option in advanced options like this :

Enable dedicated color Channel for Specular Highlights.

Or like this :

Use color channel for Colored highlights
( In this case if a map is supplied to the Specular Color channel the map would not be taken into account, the Color channel would be used instead ).

Currently to make things work the way I want
I have to do this :
1- render out my model
2- keep all the channels except the specular
3- substitute the color channel texture with the one I want to use to obtain colored specular highlights
4- render out my model again
5- keep the specular highlights only
6- composite all this in photoshop.

UnCommonGrafx
04-30-2004, 07:38 AM
Gotta ask: have an image to see an example of what you speak?

Sounds like you have a technique that's working for you and may, indeed, only be accomplished in passes. This is a good thing, as I see it, because you are learning to do what the big boys do: not rely on the renderer to do it all.

Hang on to your method, now that I understand. ;)

mkiii
04-30-2004, 08:33 AM
So.

Given the existance of a Specular colour map, if you had a checkerboard texture for example, with one part bright Gold, the other part, blued metal, you could dictate that each part had a different specular colouring without making a surface for each type. Is that what you mean?

If so, then how is that result going to be any better than turning on Color Highlights in the Advanced tab, and using the natural colouring of the texture map to dictate the specular colour, unless you just want the specular colour to be a completely different colour to that of the underlying material, such as a blue specular highlight on a red object?

If that is the case, why not just use a dedicated specular only light of the colour you require?

And/Or use the BRDF shader that allows you to do varied things with a surfaces specularity, one of which is to dictate the colour of the specular highlight independant of the color map.