PDA

View Full Version : A 3D Sound Editor integrated into Layout

Jinxius
04-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi, I don't know if someone remember this but there was a program called SoundWave 3D that was created to realistically assemble lws animations with sound emitters located exactly where null objects or other objects were.

I believe this thing could be very useful for getting realistical animation integrated with sounds and music.

If I remember quite well that app was created by FXRealm Studios the one that produced Creature Creator.

So newtek staff why don't you contact them to see to work together to integrate this in LW 8.x Layout.

I beleieve you could use custom objects to create those emitters and a general plugin to render the sound by analyzing the relative position of the emitters and their parameters related to the camera position or any other object or similar thing in Layout.

I believe this thing would get generally a good feedback and make
many lw users happy :)

Jinxius.

Edited : By the way does anyone know of a similar tool where you can assemble 3d scenes and get them to work.
NeverWinter Nights had a similar tool in its 3d editor and I was really happy to work with it, anyway it would work only with NWN stuff ( could not import lws, 3ds or other type of scenes ) and the output was created in realtime when you played the game. It would have been useful to create a camera path to render the sound based on camera motions.

Lightwolf
04-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Cinema4D has an integrated Sound renderer if I remember correctly (at least previous revs did).

Cheers,
Mike

Jinxius
04-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Lightwolf
Cinema4D has an integrated Sound renderer if I remember correctly (at least previous revs did).

Thanx for the info, I should give it a look I've an old 6.0 version maybe it's there.

Anyway it would be very good if a 3d rendering engine would be integrated in a future release, that would be very useful.

Cheers,
Jinxius.

Mylenium
04-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Oh no, please don't! Assuming a worst case scenario, all that would come of it would be tons of animations with crappy pseudo-surround audio. BTW, C4D only outputs 44 kHz single channel or stereo files so it's not avoiding the use of dedicated audio tools. speaking of which, you need much more dynamic range to get that cinema feeling (not necessarily full 128 kHz at 24 or 32 bits, but some more). You should also consider that the output would represent only a physical approximation of sound distribution, not the great sound you have in film (that often actually has little to do with how frequencies behave in real live and is mostly mixed/ created manually). Last but not least sound rendering would be kinda "dead feature" for most users 'cos they would be overwhelmed by the intricacies involved. And developing features and wasting development power is counterproductive, don't you think that, too?

Mylenium

Capt Lightwave
04-29-2004, 02:19 PM
If I don't remember too wrong, FXRealm, the creators of Creature Creator, started developing a 3d sound rendering plugin for LightWave a few years ago (i may have been a standalone) called SoundWave or something like that. It's gone from their website so it's probably waporware, but thay MAY sit on some code that could be sold off to Newtek if it's worth developing further.....anyway, sound is better edited in a sound editing program.

Wait a minute damn it.....it's still there: http://www.fxrealm.com/products/soundwave/sw3d_description.htm

prospector
04-29-2004, 04:07 PM
Yea it's there,
but the demo only plays till Dec of last year:mad:

But being able to use sound waves to control things would be cool.

Lights on a rockband stage to start with.

Stuff like that guy that makes those animotions (I see on Eye Drops) would be really cool.

A singer that has the Jaw bone tied to a song would be good.

The only way I've been doing it is to open Sound Forge and take a snapshot of the screen and cut the sound wave into a smaller pic, use that as a background, and lay points on the peaks and valleys, and save that as a motion.

So a good plug-in would be nice.

And that program costs 399, and without testing it under all conditions, I don't think I would lay that kind of cash down on a hope.

Jinxius
04-30-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Capt Lightwave
If I don't remember too wrong, FXRealm, the creators of Creature Creator

If you had read my post completely you would have seen that what you said is what I had said :D

Cheers,
Jinxius.

Capt Lightwave
05-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I noticed ;) ......I guess I was too tired to think properly that night.