PDA

View Full Version : photoshop not showing backdrop

starlight
03-20-2003, 11:40 PM
hello,

when I render an image with a backdrop and save it as .tga, then photoshop won't show it. why?
I'm really confused now. I mean there should be a reason for ps to hide my backdrop. And the backdropcolor is the only thing that isn't appearing right.
(not sure if the .tga file includes the fp-info)
How can I get it back?
If I open the image using some external viewer (like netscape), then everything fine :confused:

Hurben
03-21-2003, 12:53 AM
Its the alpha layer that it's not showing you.. I don't know how to make it appear in photoshop, but if you convert it to something else, say a tif, then it will be fine. (I use ACDSee for all converting needs)

I wonder if there is a way to make it appear in photoshop, there must be.

discode
03-21-2003, 08:54 AM
The easiest way to make Photoshop show your background is to update to 7.0.1. With the initial release of the 7.0 version of photoshop they changed the way the alpha channel was being delt with. Apparently they had been doing it incorrectly. Just check your PS7 read me. All the info is in there. The 7.0.1 update changes how PS7 deals with the alpha in .tga files back to the way it was done previously.

starlight
03-21-2003, 10:14 AM
thanx guys,
this explains things!
I still don't quite get, what's the deal with the alpha-channel. Why should the backdrop be affected from the alpha-channel? After all, it's just one color and it includes no transparency?
Unfortunately I don't have any other painting software besides photoshop and paint, neither the time to upgrade, so I had to render the backdrop only and include it as background in every frame (fortunately the droplet feature in photoshop is still working :D )

thx

Lamont
03-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Adobe didn't do the alpha thing incorrect. The alpha's were always there, just not in the alpha chanel. Why they did that? I don't know.

They switched back to the old way with the update. But they also provided a way that both can co-exist without people being upset.

riki
03-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Render as 24 rather than 32, unless you need the alpha channel.

phaedrus
03-22-2003, 12:31 AM
you can also just use the tga plug from photoshop 6...
just replace the 7 one with it..