PDA

View Full Version : Taft and Polk. Worth the purchase?

youandwhosarmy
04-29-2004, 07:03 AM
Hi,

I'll be purchasing Lightwave soon and I've been looking around the Worly site. I gather fPrime is a suggested purchase and Sasquatch is on the list too, but are Taft and Polk worth it?

A number of the plugins look really useful. How many (if any) have been made redundant by LW8 new features?

thanks.:)

Edbittner
04-29-2004, 07:32 AM
A lot of the features on those plug-ins are going to be standard in LW8. I'd wait for 8.
Ed
S*R* PRODUCTIONS

youandwhosarmy
04-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Any idea which ones?

Aegis
04-29-2004, 02:56 PM
FPrime is really the only "must have" out of Steve Worley's excellent plugins - Sasquatch is next up - SasLite is a good preview (and is quite capable in its own right) but the full Sasquatch is quite simply amazing - I still get a kick out of using it and wonder how the heck I get the incredible results it renders.

G2 is also well worth the money and expands LightWave immensely adding sub-surface scattering (including specialized skin tools) in-depth lighting control, faster, more accurate area lights, realtime previews (not as good as FPrime but still very, very useful) and a heckuva lot more - check out www.worley.com for the full lowdown (note that with all Steve's plugins barring FPrime you can download and install them along with the demo files to see what they do - you can't tweak the setttings but you can see the results).

Polk and Taft are both plugin packs that are designed to solve lots of little problems and annoyances that may crop up whilst you're working in LightWave - Polk has more plugins but they tend to be of the "quick-fix" type (although the Acid plugin is excellent and the Confusion DOF shader is much better than LightWave's Digital Confusion) - all very handy though. Taft has less but they are more in-depth - the best plugin in Taft is Hoser which is incredibly useful and not directly comparable to anything in LightWave 8.0

And of course if you buy any of Worley's plugins you get "Disgust" for free which is pretty nifty too. They all work fine with LightWave 8.0 and I can honestly recommend any of them (I have them all)
:)

youandwhosarmy
04-29-2004, 11:43 PM
I wish you hadn't mentioned G2 and how great it is, I was trying not to think about it, cos then I'll have to get it.

It would be good if Worley had a bundle. At the moment I might buy all the plugins, and a discount on a bundle like that would be very cool. (25% off ?? :) )

Thanks for your help. I can't wait until I can get started with Lightwave and all these cool tools.

Aegis
04-30-2004, 03:23 AM
Well if you're gonna buy them all why not email Worley Labs and see if they'll give you a discount - it's worth a try I guess :)

sleiron
04-30-2004, 06:22 AM
@Aegis

You mentioned that you tested all the worley.com plugins already with LW8.

I read in different threads that FPrime would be somehow integrated in LW8 OR there would be no more need for that.

I'm courious about FPrime and 'realtime' rendering, but I'm still a beginner with LW so didn't try it myself.

Could you perhaps give your opinion on that?

Thanks
sleiron

Dodgy
04-30-2004, 06:44 AM
Fprime is so so so worth it. It changes the way you work in such a fundamental way. I bought it when it came out and didn't regret it for a second.
Saslite you can do a lot with, despite a lot of naysaying, but it's still worthwhile to get sasfull.
G2 seems quite good, but I think it's a little overpriced.

Polk I bought while the offer was on, and while I think for the offer price it was value for money, the full price seems a bit high, as you can do most of the effects with free or low cost plugins. The acid shader and poke deformer I haven't seen anywhere else, though poke you can do with motion designer more or less. It's quite good as a collection.

starbase1
04-30-2004, 01:32 PM
If you are looking for good value extras, you might want to consider IFW2 procedural textures:

http://www.shaders.org/

Theres loads of good stuff there, and tons of presets. The one I use most has to be the panels shader - with options for grimy streaks, rivet patterns, and irregular panel sizes its essential if you do any techie scenes.

No connection beyond being a satisfied customer.

Cheers,
Nick

Dodgy
04-30-2004, 04:51 PM
I'll second the IFW shader purchase. The specialFX shader adds so much to LW's own shaders it's worth it on it's own. This is why I want Shaders to be the next thing in fprime :)
Also www.happy-digital.com has very nice edgebevel shader and geometry instancing plugins if you're out to spend some money!

acocq
05-01-2004, 02:33 AM
@Aegis:

I, for one, have already mail Worley Labs THREE times, asking them about bundles. Even left a message on their answering machine (I am in Europe, so their "business hours" do not really match my "waking hours").

No response, no reply. :mad: / :(

I purchased FPrime from them (very happy with it!), so I already am a customer of theirs and was expecting more responsiveness.

Cheers,
Andreas

Aegis
05-01-2004, 05:03 AM
Sorry to hear about that Andreas - all my dealings with Worley Labs have been fast and efficient - When I ordered G2 I got my serial no. email within 15 minutes of placing the order - I was so impatient to use it I called 'em up in the States (I'm in the UK) and they gave me my unlock code over the phone - up and running within 20 minutes of placing the order :)

I can only suggest that you give them a call as Worley (like NewTek) seem to react quicker to customer enquiries that way...

Oh, and I'll third the IFW2 Textures recommendation - they're excellent (and the procedurals work with FPrime of course) although note that you get a "Special Edition" cut-down version of IFW2 with LightWave 8 so you may want to try that before ordering the full package.

sleiron: FPrime is highly unlikely to ever be integrated in LightWave as a) unlike Sasquatch it's almost impossible to do a "Lite" version and b) so many LightWave users have already bought it that Worley and NewTek would have to be crazy to include it in a future update - the users would lynch them from the tallest treee they could find :D

What will happen is that over the next few point releases of LightWave, Steve Worley and NewTek will be working together to enhance LightWave's SDK (software developers kit) to the point where it allows FPrime (and other companies plugins) to access all the scene and object data necessary for FPrime to become a full replacement renderer for LightWave's including volumetrics, shaders etc.

Dodgy
05-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Which IFW2 textures come with 8? Just the textures or the shaders too?

Aegis
05-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Not sure whether you get any shaders or not but it comes with 100 procedural presets and two plugins - IFW2_Textures_TSE.p and IFW2_Textures_SSE.p (I didn't bother installing it as I already have the full 6.3 version).

youandwhosarmy
05-03-2004, 12:03 AM
"Sorry, we don't offer any discounts other than volume discounts for multiple licenses of the same plugin."

Worley's reply about a bundle discount. Pity about that. A bundle discount would surely encourage more customers.

Aegis
05-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Ah well - guess it was worth a shot eh?