ginger247
04-29-2004, 05:16 AM
Hi
has anyone got LW8 in the UK (London) yet
Thanks

mkiii
04-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Yes.

Not in london, but only 51 miles to the west, 4 miles outside Basingstoke. Some others in the North have theirs too.

ginger247
04-29-2004, 10:10 AM
cheers mate will get in touch with newtek
but how long ago ? and
and is it any good ?

Martin Adams
04-29-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm from Luton (25 miles North of London) and haven't received it yet.

mkiii
04-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ginger247
cheers mate will get in touch with newtek
but how long ago ? and
and is it any good ?

I only got it yesterday, so I wouldn't fret too much if I were you. You'll probably get it in a few days. I gather that they are going out in batches, possibly one lot a week (BeeVee may be able to help there).

Unfortunately, from the point of view of anyone waiting, the bank holiday will probably delay things a bit.

On 8: So far so good. been working with it on simple stuff, inbetween installing plugs, setting some keys up, and trying to get used to the new & probably wiser keystrokes. The main difference for me at the moment is that the menus seem a lot tidier than I was used to, since more stuff is tucked away in dropdowns.

Haven't had much time to play with layout other than load some sample scenes.

OGL looks nicer, but I haven't noticed any drastic sp[eedups on that front - in fact the hummer scene runs at the same speed on 7 & 8. Possible more fx oriented stuff is faster. Haven't timed any of that.

The modeler improvements are less than in layout of course, but the edge bevel, & supeshift etc are good additions.

I was hoping that tools like bend would be properly interactive by now (ie when you increase the angle in the numeric panel, the screen updates), but that is not so. I don't understand why that tool in particular is not, when the lathe tool *is* ah well, 8.5 for modeler update hopefully.

UV mapping appears to be pretty much untouched. Desparately needs some alignment tools still. Otherwise all seems to be working. I haven't seen anything broken.

Don't think I'm being negative btw, I have hardly had a chance to test any new features yet - that's for the weekend.

kyuzo
04-30-2004, 05:12 AM
Received latest copy of 3D World yesterday and there's a pic of the LW 8 box....

looks real nice

Derek