PDA

View Full Version : Will LW7.5 run with LW8 dongle?

ned
04-29-2004, 05:09 AM
Anyone know if LW7.5 will run on a PC which has both LW8 and LW7.5 installed but with the LW8 dongle?

Why do I want to do this? We have 6 seats of LW7.5 where I teach and we are buying 5 new seats of LW8. For a few weeks I want to have all PCs running LW7.5 before we switch the 5 new ones to LW8.

mattclary
04-29-2004, 05:36 AM
Kind of doubt it. My 7.5 license number does not work with 8, so doubt my 8 license number would work with 7.5.

mkiii
04-29-2004, 10:13 AM
The license number is a result of the dongle number & the software serial number, so a copy of 8 installed on a machine with 7 on it will work fine. Each install has it's own license key.

All you have to do is keep the original LW7 dongles & install 8 over the top. LW 8 uses differently named config files to those of LW 7, so both copies can be run at the same time without screwing things up (unlike 6 & 7 which required some fiddling with config file settings).

If you are buying completely new seats of LW 8, complete with new dongles , I can only ask why?

Just upgrade your seats of 7 to 8 & keep your original dongles. If all you really need is the manuals, you can pay for them seperately. The same thing goes if you want to change to USB dongles.