PDA

View Full Version : WTF.. Any one els have a burned CD-R copy of LW

Elemental233
04-29-2004, 04:31 AM
I just notice that my Lw cds are CD-Rs, :eek: and No its not Lw 8. there 7.5 after haveing them for a year i find out there burned.. any one Els have this.. why the heck would a company sell me copyed Softwear. I want the real ones...

mkiii
04-29-2004, 04:50 AM
They didn't sell you the discs, they gave you them for nothing. Anyway, if it works, it works. I'm just happy to get my mitts on it.

It is pretty common to get free upgrades distributed this way - at work we have an official Maya license from Alias burned onto an unlabelled generic CDR with Maya 5.0 written on it with Marker pen, and half a dozen license keys sent via email.

At least these ones come with a nice label. If you want the all singing all dancing final release versions of the discs, you'll need to pay for the ''convenience upgrade'' package like the rest of us.

($99 US last I heard for the box, manuals & CDS)

You will also need to wait until LW8 is actually relseased, which it has not yet been.

Matt
04-29-2004, 04:55 AM
My LW7 CDs were CDRs (of the blue variety) but with proper
printed graphics, I think it helps NT keep the costs down
instead of using stamped CDs.

Elemental233
04-29-2004, 05:02 AM
Hmm, never knew companys did this.

Exper
04-29-2004, 05:08 AM
When I upgraded from LW7.0 to LW7.5 (pre-order version: 7.5 + DFX + 8) the CDs were CDRs (green variety) with proper printed graphics!

They're original and working properly...
then... ok for me!

kyuzo
04-29-2004, 05:16 AM
Mine are blue CDRs with printed labels.
I figured Newtek must have guessed the next version wasn't too far away (this was before the Luxology nightmare) and decided to send out CDRs instead of coughing up for the production of a large batch of 'proper' discs. When it became apparent that LW8 wasn't going to be out as soon as they expected they went and produced a 'real' batch.
... but what do I know, I'm just guessing.

LW works, so it's no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Derek

mattclary
04-29-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Elemental233
after haveing them for a year i find out there burned..

Guess they worked OK then, huh? Why get wound up about it if it doesn't cause a problem? My CDs sit in their boxes on a shelf except for 20 minutes every year or so when I need to re-install. Don't really care if they are pretty. ;)

WilliamVaughan
04-29-2004, 06:38 AM
Pressing CD's is alot cheaper and more cost effective...but CDR's is the fastest way to get a release out....I believe NewTek does both...depends on what cycle the CD's are in...

Lynx3d
04-29-2004, 07:19 AM
My 7.5 CDs are blue too...

Guess it's cheaper burning some on demand instead of pressing a few thousand and keep them in stock...don't think you will get a good price for stamping 10 CDs either...

Exper
04-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Lynx3d
don't think you will get a good price for stamping 10 CDs either... I don't know...
but here the minimum amount is 300/500 per order! ;)

Wade
04-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Anyone know the turn around time on stamped - maybe 3 to 6 weeks? I would take the thing on a pile of floppyís if thatís what it took to get it today even thou I do not have a floppy.:)
Burned is fine by me and a down load of 8.25fp when itís ready.
;)

colkai
04-29-2004, 09:09 AM
I just notice that my Lw cds are CD-Rs, :eek: and No its not Lw 8. there 7.5 after haveing them for a year i find out there burned.. any one Els have this.. why the heck would a company sell me copyed Softwear. I want the real ones...
As BeeVee from NT Europe pointed out in another thread, and Proton above....
When it comes to quickly generating many CDs, burners are they way.

My LW8 is also on CDR's and to be honest, if CDR's means I get 'em 2 weeks earlier, well, then YAY for CDR's ;)

Para
04-29-2004, 09:20 AM
I just checked my 7.5 discs...both green. Worth a laugh actually :D

Lynx3d
04-29-2004, 09:42 AM
I'd even take it on tape if i only got it today... :(

Well, it can still come before weekend, so 24 more hours until my optimism is ruined again... :D

Elemental233
04-29-2004, 02:20 PM
ahh thanks for all the input. well i happy i got them as fast as i did so keep up the good work Newtek.. (and if yuh going to send me burned ones again can you use a glossy cd lable plz..):D

Lynx3d
04-29-2004, 02:37 PM
(and if yuh going to send me burned ones again can you use a glossy cd lable plz..):D

Well, my 7.5 CDs do, but those squeak when you slip your fingers above them...*quieeeeeeek*

Maimo
04-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Wade
I would take the thing on a pile of floppyís if thatís what it took to get it today

man! i would type it in line by line from a program listing:D

actually the 1st 3d program i ever used was from a book that typed in on my amiga. i think it was called Raytracing with amiga basic.

I made alot of TRON stuff with it and a 320x200 HAM 4096 colors image took 4 hours to render. So 8 will rock !