PDA

View Full Version : How Long will it Take...Before...

WizCraker
04-28-2004, 08:43 PM
I could not resist as since the slow delivery of Lightwave 8 has to be the hottest topic on the Newtek Forum since the Luxology fiasco.

Who all thinks that Lightwave 8 will find it's way to the Illegal Underground Pirate networks for download before you get your copy in the mail?

To make it easy there are only three options: Yes, No, I already received mine in the mail.

hrgiger
04-28-2004, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't call a couple of weeks a slow delivery for what's probably hundreds if not thousands of users.

WizCraker
04-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Okay you are right again HRGiger it is not slow but it is like watching the clock to go home from work. The more you look at it the slower time seems to pass. Same for Lightwave, the only difference is the clock in this case is the mail box.

hrgiger
04-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Well, I would definately agree with you there. Everyday I come home and when there is no lightwave, I just want to plunder a small village. Or something....

TSpyrison
04-28-2004, 09:46 PM
All work and no lightwave make Homer somthing something...

colkai
04-29-2004, 04:26 AM
Well,
Got mine so voted accordingly.
However, I'd give it a few days after a 'wide' release and yup, I just bet there'll be a cracked version.

I often wonder how much cool code we'd have if these guys build programs instead of breaking 'em. I've been a programmer for (mumble) years and grudgingly admire their coding skills, if not their ethics. ;)

WizCraker
04-29-2004, 04:41 PM
I know, it is almost scary how organized they are. Everthing has a standard format for distribution and such not only for software but audio, books [yes even books, people actually scan and put them in html or pdf], and movies.

I'll admit I download MP3's just look at the MIRC script AutoGet it auto connects to servers, channels, begins getting lists from the server and you even search for the music live from the servers and from the downloaded lists at the same time. The lists from the servers are a underground standardized format. It is amazing.

Oh, and I only download songs that I am about to buy the CD.

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2004, 05:01 PM
I have voted for yes, simply because I have heard off a crakc of it being available when it even still was in early beta- stage.
I dont know who leaked it, or why, but I do know that there is always a black sheep somewhere who leaks software to the various cracking- groups.
Just as a warning to anyone thinking about using those cracked versions: These are msot like some unfinished Betas, that do in no way resemble the finished product, will most likely be buggy and can even harm your computer.
I would not use that cracked ****.
CU
Elmar

WizCraker
04-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Well, 8 is not available for download illegally at the moment. Which is a good thing.

Chazz
04-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Just for sh!ts and giggles, I looked on Shareza for 'Lightwave' and found a few 'Lightwave 9' updates....you guys not not telling us something?? :D

mix
04-29-2004, 10:41 PM
I allways thought the word cracked software was an elusive myth that someone made up to make us poor ol legit users feel like an idiot for paying good hard earned money for something you can get just about anywere for nothing.

One day I came across a site called (--------), to my amazment it had just about every single 3d app u could think of, from silo1,21 to Maya6 final and Im talking about the very latest versions of software. eg: the day after Zbrush2 was released it was cracked and up on the site.

The only thing I dawnloaded from there was Fprime 1.01, full working and everything. I know I know, Iv deleted it now, seing as I had it ordered anyway but it did make me think, how easily temptation could come in to the picture and currupt a young artist
low on cash.

mr_nebel
04-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Well someone in my class is saying he has found a source to download it from but as of yet I can't say if its a BETA or not, in any case its a sad state of affairs when trusted testers are leaking software.

Maimo
04-30-2004, 12:27 AM
We used to call those Cracks "learning evaluations"

I payed off my first copy of LW in a month, and Payed off this upgrade in a few days.

It's hard being a professional and putting your trust in a crack. The main reason i'm a lagit user of LW is the Community. Which is priceless (sniff.. sniff you guys are great...)

Alot of the cracks out there have adware in them, IMO those are worse then Viruses.

What bugs my nut is i know alot of Pros that have Educational versions of software and have been playing that game since they left college for years.

"... err yess ... umm I'm working on my third phd... so ill need another upgrade for photoshop CS "

T-Light
04-30-2004, 07:41 AM
I'm with Colkai, recieved LW8 through the post on Wednesday.

Don't suppose you can start a thread like this without ethics rearing it's ugly head.

I get Maimo's comment on 'learning evaluations', there will allways be people out there who simply can't afford to go legit, and will try anything to get into a piece of decent software.

What really gets my goat is how many well paid professionals there are, that wouldn't blink an eye at installing illegal software.

I can not describe how infuriating it is when I've spent a fortune these last few years on software, I've gone without Hollidays, night out with the lads, and home comforts, Then someone sees you're latest pride and joy and says "aw go on, give me a copy". To quote a character from a recent UK TV magic show.

B * S T * R D S

The other day, an old friend from school came over. He saw our DVD collection, and said "Hang on, you've got a DVD writer, could you run us off a few films, we've only got a couple".

This guy is an extremely well paid chartered accountant. You can guess my answer.

Sorry to vent. This subject really boils my blood.

colkai
04-30-2004, 07:57 AM
I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl!

Ever heard the MD of a company say to an employee, "We need a copy of 'SoftwareX' see if you find a cracked copy somewhere".
I kid you not, I heard it first hand, I was stunned into silence!

I have little cash to spend, but part with it I did to get Lightwave, costs me probably less than 500 a year in total for this hobby, which is still very difficult to raise for me, but it's my choice.
I couldn't, in good consience, use it if I hadn't paid for it.

Thought when people find out how much it is, I get "can't you get a crack for it?" <sigh> - seems to be a pervasive attitude. :(

T-Light
04-30-2004, 08:12 AM
"seems to be a pervasive attitude" - Colkai

Pervasive indeed. A few years ago one of the major British rags was running six hundred copies of Quark Express off of a single license.

B * S T * R D S

Now, If nobody minds, I'll excuse myself from this thread before I achieve the un-noble status of

B * N N E D

:D

WizCraker
04-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by colkai
Thought when people find out how much it is, I get "can't you get a crack for it?" <sigh> - seems to be a pervasive attitude. :(

$1500 is not that much for Lightwave.

I've spent $3000 on XBox Games, $200 for a bigger HD for the Xbox and $50 for the mod chip so I can copy those games to the HD so I don't scratch them. Might be a little insane but I also have at least $5000 in PC games within the last 4 years.

Amazing how people will buy something like games but if it has a higher price tag at the beginning they want a crack cause they say they are broke.

T-Light
04-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Wiz, You've got it in a nutshell.

Mind you, some of the people I know would balk at the cost of a full price game. I think the whole problem stems from the late seventies / early eighties when we all (including me) couldn't afford the latest moon lander for the speccy or vic20.

[edit - Everything was tape to tape - we actually got out of PE because we were 'progessively furthering our education in IT' - we actually played and copied games in a dissused staff room]

Back then, you had about 20p pocket money towards a 5.95 game. I started going to the Darlington indoor flea market for a bargain and manged to buy a book on machine code programming for the Z80a. It changed my life (many would say for the worse, but there you go)

Things got out of hand back then and have spiralled ever since. Everyone tends to look at a piece of physical hardware and rate it above films, music or software.

To us it's the same thing, to them it's simply a friendly copy, wink, wink.

B*a*s.....

Oh I can't muster the strength. You all know what I mean.