PDA

View Full Version : LW8 Dynamics Test #5 - HardFX, Collision Obj PoolTable

HowardM
04-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Pooltable QT (http://www.3dink.com/pooltable.mov)

Far from perfect, but a good start.
Many thanks go to Castius for helping setup the table collision better than I could figure out!
;)

This uses HardFX for the balls, a collision null to shoot the ball and a Collision obj for the table.

Ill develop this one further someday, fix the physics, plan to make interior of table work realistically, and Ill make a nice table with nice textured balls, volumetric light above...etc.....one day....yep.......

Wade
04-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Your a pro you sink so many with that break!:)

I await eight!

TSpyrison
04-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Nice..

now fix my dominos :)

js33
04-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Nice one Howard. You keep going like this and you can write a book or make sellable tuts for 8. I got 8 the same time you did but I'm having to spend my time on paid work right now but I plan to jump into the dynamics with both feet when I have a chance.

Cheers,
JS

HowardM
04-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks!
I plan on making some tuts!
;)

I just resaved and uploaded a better version!

hrgiger
04-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Howard, that totally rocks! I hope I get my 8 tomorrow, I'd love to see what I can do with the new dynamics. I already have some ideas for the new bone dynamics and cloth. I just hope it works the way I think it does....

Hervé
04-28-2004, 11:32 PM
...I've got 8 yesterday, I just can't believe a US Co. like NT serves Europe before US.... ah well... hope you get it today too H Giger !

colkai
04-29-2004, 04:24 AM
Howard,
Guy - gotta say, major thanks for all these test you're putting out.

Very informative, take bow dude - you deserve it! :D

EDIT: Ok, just saw the animation, double what I said above! - really cool! :cool:

danilo
04-29-2004, 04:36 AM
...I've got 8 yesterday,
ye,ye,in your dreams.
danilo

colkai
04-29-2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by danilo
...I've got 8 yesterday,
ye,ye,in your dreams.
danilo

Strangely - I did! :D :D

Exper
04-29-2004, 05:21 AM
The Holy Dynamics HowardM strikes again! :cool:

marble_sheep
04-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Sweet. That's very nice. I'm still waiting on 8... sigh... I hope it gets here today!

How much of that animation is automatically calculated, and how much is tweaked by you? Did you just send the cue bal into motion, and LW figured out the rest? That would be so nice if there was that much built-in physicis... but I'm guessing you had to do a lot of tweaking?

Again, very nice!

siproductions
04-29-2004, 08:01 AM
These dynamic posts make my day while I wait for 8. Thanks and keep them up. :)

HowardM
04-29-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by marble_sheep
That would be so nice if there was that much built-in physicis... but I'm guessing you had to do a lot of tweaking?

Again, very nice!

Thanks guys!

Yep, I just set the cueball in motion and LW did the rest.
It took a little tweaking to get the balls, collision, etc right....Thanks again to Castius! :)

HowardM
04-29-2004, 11:50 AM
One more shot QT, with real balls! ;) (http://www.3dink.com/pooltable2.mov)

Earl
04-29-2004, 11:58 AM
That latest one is much better Howard! Nice example of LW's new capabilities. :cool:

colkai
04-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Nice!
The only thing that looks "off" it the way the ball falls into the pocket. That may depend on the pocket geometry and if you can say how "heavy" the ball is.
That said.... Niiice ! :)

marble_sheep
04-29-2004, 01:47 PM
I downloaded the clip and was watching it in slo-mo, and I say again... very nice work! The way the purple-solid color ball starts to fall in then ricochets out of the pocket is awesome. Thank you for giving such a good demonstration of LW's new capabilities!

One question... how long did all this take to calculate?

Until my copy of 8 gets here, I'm going to pester you with questions :D

ACLOBO
04-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Nice work there Howard on setting that up. I was just wondering about the calculation error that is apparent on the blue ball that heads toward the left side pocket. You see it do a little jump all my itself to NOT go in... lol I thought this was funny. Anyway, that aside, looks good.

-Adrian

HowardM
04-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Once again, setup was a ***** and took awhile, but calculations are basically realtime once its setup! :)

The holes on the felt arent correctly modeled, nor the pockets, so sometimes balls click or jump...altho that one ball jumping on the left would most likely really happen if the felt was like that!
;)

One day, (maybe someone will actually pay me?) I will model a realistic setup. Maybe itll come with my tutorial DVD? ;)

colkai
04-30-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by HowardM
One day, (maybe someone will actually pay me?) I will model a realistic setup. Maybe itll come with my tutorial DVD? ;)

Price it right and I bet you'll get a fair few takers.

I figured the model was a quick one, that's why I hedged my bets, even so, the work you've done will no doubt inspire someone to create a full-blown table.
Kudos again Howard, these are really nice examples of the new dynamics. Maybe you should see if Newtek are interested in the scenes for a new content CD? :D

Cheers!

Exper
04-30-2004, 02:39 AM
Great stuff... as always! :cool:

WilliamVaughan
04-30-2004, 02:55 AM

sign me up....I'll buy that dvd :)

Matt
04-30-2004, 04:43 AM
Once again, setup was a ***** and took a while

Can I ask what was difficult, I thought dynamics was supposed to be pretty straight forward in v8?

HowardM
04-30-2004, 09:16 AM
hehe thanks guys!
as far as a DVD, we will see what the next year brings! :)

as far as being a *****, ok, ill be honest, the new dynamics are an improvement, but some settings are still a shot in the dark (or perhaps im saying this because of lack of verbose dox)....so this still requires some trial and error when setting up collision, rolling, friction, etc to get realism...its still a mish mosh of settings that hardly make sense...they are just faster and easier! ;)

One LAST QT demo! (http://www.3dink.com/pooltable3.mov) damn red ball! ;)...but at least there are no force fields anymore!

JDaniel
04-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Wow! Go 8! Great job Howard. I'll get mine next week. They are going by who ordered first obviously. Anyways, it would be cool to make a 3d pool game.

ACLOBO
04-30-2004, 02:47 PM
I don't know if they are going in order of purchase. I did order mine last september, so maybe I am far back enough that I was in one of the first groups. However, I just received it today in the mail - Friday April, 30th. So, I did get it by the end of the month!

Snowy day out. I will have to revisit all those movies I downloaded on [8] and have a go at some new things.

:D

-Adrian

WizCraker
04-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Psycho Red Ball there Howard and I have to say I've never seen a ball jump like the Blue one in Pool before. But Cool Dynamics.

HowardM
04-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by ACLOBO
I don't know if they are going in order of purchase.

-Adrian

They are most definitely not going by purchase date.
Not to start any riots, but I bought LW8 in 2004.
;)
Download the chainmail scene and have a go at it! (http://www.3dink.com/chainmail8.zip) :)

Wiz - ive seen that happen, when the crazy drunks play and break like a madman! ;)

WizCraker
04-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Okay I guess I have seen it but that was intentially I ment I've never seen it happen in a normal game of pool.

siproductions
04-30-2004, 09:26 PM
Great tests HowardM. Thanks for the scene file. I took a look at it. I love the way you can link the motion with Hard link. Great stuff.

BTW I tried to get dominoes to work with no success. The first one falls and the rest just slide along the ground without tipping over. O well more tweeking I guess.

lede
04-30-2004, 09:35 PM
OT: I order mine in September and still don't have it. I think it must be related to the amount of post in the board to who gets it first :D

Howard, Nice simulation. I think the first one of these I watched the que ball didn't look like it striked the other objects before they all broke. I wonder is there a way you could place another collision object above the balls that would limit the y movement and then turn in transperent? Sorry don't have 8 yet so I'm going to start quizing you:)

-Lee

Hervé
05-01-2004, 01:46 AM
Really cool Haward ! I noticed in the window "about modeler" there is David Vrba, if I remember, he was (is) working for Dynamic Realities, Father of Impact3..... ? I've checked the Ste, it was (is) him ! he he...:D ;)