PDA

View Full Version : My first LW8 crash....

Tim Parsons
04-28-2004, 01:52 PM
After 6 days of constant use I had my first LW8 crash. Now what do you think I was doing? Well clearing the scene, of course! I must say I have been real pleased with the stability. I just hope this was a fluke. At least it has not crashed when I've done an object replace or when I have exited LW. These are the three areas that have caused me the most headache over the last couple years, and to be honest, would be well worth the upgrade just to fix these! (Although it looks like some work is still needed.) I'm lov'in it though! A lot of neat small things, along with all the stuff that got hyped up. Nice upgrade.

Modeler's been rock solid. I only had it crash once as well, and that was when I was screwing around with Rounder trying to round some weird shape. ( Basically trying to see if I could crash the thing!) Works great otherwise. The new Cut tool and Rounder are great additions.

Cheers

Cageman
04-28-2004, 02:45 PM
What stuff do you think is/was hyped?

Tim Parsons
04-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Maybe "hyped" was the wrong term. By saying hyped I was not insinuating that the new features don't live up to expectations, I was merely stating that some of the neat little things got absolutely no press at all, and the dynamics, bones etc. got all the limelight.

Tim

Cageman
04-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Ahh... good you cleared that out! :) And... I do agree that some features didn´t get as much screentime as others...

policarpo
04-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Are you on a Mac or PC?

:confused:

Tim Parsons
04-28-2004, 10:09 PM
PC. Also since my last post I have been able to repeat the crash at will. I have created a simple script using LScript Commander where when it is executed, clears all my lights, sets ambient light to 80% and loads from a saved scene three spotlights and photo backdrop. This is for quick and cheesy floor shadows for our products. After executing the script and rendering and saving the floor shadow, LW8 will crash every time when clearing the scene. I've also noticed that when I install the script as a plug-in and create a button on the interface, the script fails to load the saved shadow setup scene. The script works fine when executing from the LScript Commander. BTW that didn't work in LW7.5 either.

Cheers
Tim

Hervé
04-28-2004, 11:28 PM
I had a crash... when I replaced an image, and F_Prime was running in Background....:cool:

titane357
04-29-2004, 12:28 AM
happy man.

I had a lot of crashes with LW8 PC.
And I've never seen such a long switching between Layout and modeler. Poor Hub....

:confused:

garg
04-29-2004, 01:08 AM
In the first 30 minutes of tests I got about 10 crashes :-(

I must say I'm also a bit lost with all the keyboard shortcut changed and the new menu layout. I know it's not a problem to come back to the old layout. Just wanted to test the new layout.

I tested also a bit the hard body dynamic, tried to make some sort of ball rolling on a halfpipe, and everything was fine up to the first turn... then the ball just jumped over the border (even if the border is realy high)... so I think the physic calculation is somehow not usable for this sort of things...

I'm also quiet a lot disapointed by the manual. Bone edit tool... it's not even explained what it does !

Alain

PS: I'm on PC

WilliamVaughan
04-29-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by garg

I'm also quiet a lot disapointed by the manual. Bone edit tool... it's not even explained what it does !

Alain

PS: I'm on PC [/B]

That's interesting ....the first tool discussed in the help file under the setup tab is Bone Edit mode....

Are you having trouble finding it?

Exper
04-29-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by garg
I must say I'm also a bit lost with all the keyboard shortcut changed and the new menu layout. I know it's not a problem to come back to the old layout. Just wanted to test the new layout.Take a look at:
LW8 Dynamics Test #5 - HardFX, Collision Obj PoolTable
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21906

garg
04-29-2004, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by proton
That's interesting ....the first tool discussed in the help file under the setup tab is Bone Edit mode....

Are you having trouble finding it?

Well I found the page about "Bone edit" but it doesn't explain what it do or how to use it beside "allows you to edit your character rigs quickly and easily within the scene you are creating"

Which doesn't help me a lot. This page basicaly explain me only how to enter or leave this mode... nothing else. What should I do once I'm in Bone Edit mode ?

Alain Bertrand

WilliamVaughan
04-29-2004, 03:30 AM
That's all it does at this point. It gets you into edit mode so that you will be able to use the other tools...it jumps you to frame zero, and hides other items in teh scene to make it easy to work on your rig.

It's not a tool it's a mode...maybe that is where there is some sort of confusion...

phil lawson
04-29-2004, 03:39 AM
You can set the layout/modeler back to 7 look...its the likes of menu layout and then presets. Dont have it infront of me at the moment so cant give exact directions. :)

Try scanning the lightwave 8 folder for plugins..it crashes with bad image errors. Two people I know also get this.
Works fine if you just scan the plugins folder though. :)

garg
04-29-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by proton
It's not a tool it's a mode...maybe that is where there is some sort of confusion...

Gasp ! Ok ! I was wondering if it would make more than that. Then it defenitly need a clear sentence that it's only an easiest way to work with bones...

Alain

colkai
04-29-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Tim Parsons
After 6 days of constant use I had my first LW8 crash. Now what do you think I was doing? Well clearing the scene, of course!

Funky - I've had this happen on me several times with LW7.5 over the last couple of months, clear scene BANG! - but what the hey - I wanted to start afresh anyways. ;)

I haven't been able to faithfully reproduce it, but I *think* it is either plugin or shader related, but don't quote me on that.

It's a small irritation to me, be much worse if it did it on scene load. ;)

altarafive
04-29-2004, 11:28 AM
*nod nod*

7.5, PC, I found if I had a somewhat complex model in the scene with a very hi-res texture map applied (poser, Daz model, converted with Greenbriar Studio plugins, minimal morphs), everything worked until I cleared the scene.. *crash*.. :( Same model, no texture map, seemed to work okay.. :rolleyes: I figured it's either a hardware failure (1.5 gig ram, with Athlon XP 3000+ :confused: ) or limitations of the "old" software.. ;)

Lynx3d
04-29-2004, 12:01 PM
*lol*

clear scene still crashes LW8...guess i'll feel right at home when it finally comes... :D

Am very curious if i'll find some of the other 7.5 bugs and even some 6.x bugs that might have survived it again...

brap
04-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Hi folks,

I haven't posted here before, but his thread caught my attention. I have always had a lot of problems with Layout and Modeler crashing when doing a Clear Scene or Close Model. A couple of months ago, I spoke with 3 seperate guys at tech support. One of them said it might be my video card and the other 2 said they had never heard of the crash on close problem. I just figured it was my machine specs and hoped that it would get better when 8 came out. I don't have 8 yet, but hearing about all the people having the same problem leads me to wonder, what core issue is causing Lightwave to crash like this. On my end it happens quite regularly if I'm dealing with a large scene with a lot of texture maps.

-Jamie

Lynx3d
04-29-2004, 02:28 PM
*lol*
Newtek can't tell me it didn't happen a single time to themselves when coding LW...and it's not that this only happens since 7.5c...

Video Card...come on, bad excuse for not knwoing what pointer you mustn't pass to free() ;)
Has to be something like that IMHO...

brap
04-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Actually, there was some truth to the video card issue. Back then, every time it crashed it would be a hard crash requiring a physical reboot -- something that never happens otherwise. And worse, during the crash, it would sometimes corrupt the model that I was was working on.
After doing a little google search, I came upon this:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PlugPak/message/192 ,
where a PlugPak user having the same problem says he downgraded his videocard drivers and it stopped the hard crashes. I did the same thing, going back to some year-old detonator driver I had lying around, and sure enough, the Clear Scene crashes became "soft" crashes.
That's why I thought it might indeed be a problem between my video card and LW7.5c.
If anyone, particularly from Newtek, has any insight into this, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Jamie

brap
04-30-2004, 07:56 AM
Here's another thread that discusses this problem and adds a new twist that I had not encountered before:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15087
Riplakish says the following:

<<The "issue" turned out to be the AGP aperature size. 32MB and 128MB works. 64, 256, 512, and
1GB cause LW to crash. Of course, I have 256MB on the card. Go figure.

My guess is a BIOS and/or card problem is
setting up and mapping the AGP memory range properly (different settings also cause the OS to
puke/reboot, games not to run, etc., so its not just LW).

Anyhow, might be a little late to experiment if you've already down-reved, but it might be
something to keep in mind when 8.0 ships, if it starts crashing on you. >>

Has anyone had any experience/luck with this approach?

-Jamie