PDA

View Full Version : Need Cars

robk
04-28-2004, 11:50 AM
I am doing a rendering of a new dodge/chrysler car dealership. Does anyone know where I can find some free or reasonably priced new model dodge/chrysler cars to put in the scene?

Lewis
04-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Hmmm I'm not sure tha ti understand your questiuon totaly :). How many cars do you have in mind and what is your deadline ? YOu can try search models on 3Dshops but i'm not sure that you will find much of them , especialy if you need NEW models :(.

BTW what's "resonably priced" in your book :) ?

robk
04-28-2004, 04:54 PM
quote "Hmmm I'm not sure tha ti understand your questiuon totaly . How many cars do you have in mind and what is your deadline ? YOu can try search models on 3Dshops but i'm not sure that you will find much of them , especialy if you need NEW models .

BTW what's "resonably priced" in your book ?"

I want them to be reasonable because usually rendering a dealership you will only get full use of the cars once and if you have to do another one the cars end up being a older model and the delaership will be upset. The 3d02.com collection by Squir (Finest CG Car Collection : Vol 1) for $485 US for 60 cars on the 3dlinks page looks good but I will end up with a whole bunch of cars that I will never use in my renderings. I need stuff like a pt cruiser, a dodge Caravan van, a Sebring or dodge ram trucks.
Anywhere from $20 to $50 US would be acceptable and I would only need about 3 models (I could change colours to provide variety) I have to get the project rendered by mid May.

I guess if I can't find new models I will have to settle for a little older model or go to one of the local Chrysler dealers and try to take some digital photos in the same perspective and then composite them in. (an option I would like to avoid)
Do you ever sell any of the models you make or just use them for projects you do?
I am getting tired of using the same cars all the time or ones that are too detailed and slow my renderings down to a crawl.
I am just switching over from Imagine to Lightwave and a high poly car such as a new beetle I have slows the rendering to a crawl in Imagine (I sometimes have to render it in a second frame using the first frame as a backdrop, just to save time)
I generally produce 8000x4000 images for use on job site signs.

Thanks I will keep on searching.

Rob Klein
Liquid Light 3D graphics Inc.

Lewis
04-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Hi robk !

Yes i know how 3d02 works since i used to work with them (owner of 3d02 is Wesley) but i don't work anymore (i selled models there 2 years ago but whole conception was totally different back then and now it's only like another turbosquid or similar 3Dshops :)). I manily model cars directly for clients and then all is fair and square. I didn't have any probelsm with Wesley (from 3d02) but i just feel that new type of selling isn't fit my needs.

But you need to understand one thing. Custom job modeling is more expensive then buying premade models like from 3d02 or turbosquid. Problem with 3D shop selling is that you really can't track your sells 100% accurate and that you could endup with model which will be sold 1-2 times and never agian (usualy when same but newer redesigned car comes to market).

Since you actually NEED new year dodges i think you'll have hard time to find them without cust jobs for 3D modelers so don't expect anything for 20-50$ (no matter how much is SQUIRs car collection - which isn't hi-poly (more like mid poly)). Accurate car model requires 20-30 hours of modeling. You know what you are doing so you sure can calculate how much will you charge to spend 20 hours on some project - right ? I doubt it'll be 20-50$ :).

My point is that i think you will have hard time to find NEW dodges so you should see is there any older ones chaper than custom jobs :).

BTW i do have 70% finsihed (need rims/tires, external mirrors and simple interior) DODGE RAM 1500 2004 model, and Dodge Viper Rt/10 from 1992 fully detialed :).

robk
04-29-2004, 02:40 PM
Lewis

I realize that custom cars would cost a lot of money. But since I am doing general Architectural renderings I need custom cars rarely. This be only my second car dealership in the last 9 years.
I know that your models would cost a lot more and models of the high quality you make would be overkill for most of my renderings.
I also found a PT Cruiser,Caravan Van and a dodge Durango truck on the turbo squid site, but it is hard to tell how good the quality is and I don't think the year is mentioned on the listings. I am not as worried about getting the newest models anymore but trying to get the latest models possible.
I know it must be difficult to track sales of a model when you submit it to a site like turbo squid or 3d02, you never know for sure if you are receiving funds from "All" the sales. I might be interested in the dodge 1500 you talked about. You can email me at my personal address to discuss further.
[email protected]

P.S. I think your cars are great

Rob Klein
Liquid Light 3D Graphics Inc.
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/llight/
(site has not beed updated for about 5 years. i hope to get a new site up soon with recent work)

Lewis
04-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Good :)

I'm glad you understand all that about difference :)

When do you need (deadline) that dodges ? I'm pretty much busy with soem models now so i'm not sure can i finsih dodge RAM 1500 right now :(.

robk
04-29-2004, 08:10 PM
quote "Good

I'm glad you understand all that about difference

When do you need (deadline) that dodges ? I'm pretty much busy with soem models now so i'm not sure can i finsih dodge RAM 1500 right now ."

I need to be done by mid May, probably the 14th

Rob Klein
Liquid Light 3D Graphics Inc.
[email protected]
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/llight/

Lewis
05-01-2004, 03:22 PM
I need to be done by mid May, probably the 14th

Ohh, that's too soon for me :). Sorry i can't finish it till then (too mamy things a tonce and only 24 hours daily :)) so i wish you luck on searching dodges on 3Dshops.

mcpherson3d
05-03-2004, 03:38 PM
I did a RAM 1500 for Digimation that they sell on their site.

I digitized a full size truck with a Faroarm. I believe they have other Faroarm Dodge products as well so you wouldn't have to worry about artist interpretation.

robk
05-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Is this the truck you are talking about? Isn't the price high for a low res model? It is 3 times the amount I am charging for the entire project.

Quote from digimation web site:

Product Detail : Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport 2003

Order Information
Price: $3,495.00
3D Studio ( .3ds ) 3D Studio Max ( .max ) DXF ( .dxf ) Lightwave ( .lwo ) OBJ ( .obj ) Softimage ( .xsi ) VRML ( .vrml ) DirectX ( .X ) Cinema 4d ( .c4d ) Shockwave 3D ( .w3d ) trueSpace ( .cob ) OpenFlight ( .flt ) IRIS Inventor (.iv ) ?

Technical Information
Product ID: VP100168
Type: Polygonal
Textures: No
Collections:
0 Groups:
Product Detail : Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport 2003 Product Detail : Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport 2003