PDA

View Full Version : Help I am comfuzed by too much information VT3 Motherboard

Downchild
04-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Hi I am an artist not a technician. I know my way around a pc and
can pretend to understand with the best of them but when it comes to purchashing a vt3 I am given too much conflicting information from various sources.

My Newtek dealer has me sold on a sata-150 raid controller with 64 meg ram onboard(550$ CDN for the controller alone) and 2 sata150 drives ( this can change- he doen't have my $ yet)

I am on a budget. I am looking for a dual p-4 motherboard. Whether it has onboard scsi, sata raid or not- well that is up to you- i have no flaming idea and am getting frustrated to the point of purchsing an avid mojo instead :)

Could someone please suggest a dual p-4 motherboard(which they themselves have used) that has either serperate pci channels, or sata-raid/scsi on a seperate channel? if I could use my existing 400mhz ddr ram that would be a bonus too but not necessary.

No dua l AMD with the(VT)3?

paulk
04-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Hi, Downchild.

First, lie down in a cool, dark room with a damp cloth on your forehead and think happy thoughts until you forget all about that nasty ol' Avid!!

There are no dual P4 motherboards, only dual Xeon motherboards. A Xeon is basically the same as a P4, except it will run in a multiple cpu system.

To further confuse you, a P4 system can use 800 Mhz ram, while a dual Xeon system can use 533 Mhz ram, tops. Also, a dual Xeon system can be finicky about the type of ram (ECC Registered).

Some P4 systems come with built in SCSI or SATA, but those controllers would share the PCI bus. SuperMicro has recently come out with P4 motherboards that have the controllers on a separate PCI-X bus (P4SC8 - SCSI; P4SCT+II - SATA). Normally, though, separate busses come with dual Xeon motherboards.

The biggest differences between a P4 and a dual Xeon VT[3] system are horsepower and price. Dual Xeons can handle more video streams real time at once. P4 systems cost less.

There are AMD-based VT[3] systems out there. Intel/WinXP/SCSI is just NewTek orthodoxy. If you wish to commit apostasy, you will not be burned at the stake.

What you want to do with your VT[3], now and in the future, helps define your choices. For further confusion, search the VT - Hardware discussion forum for keywords such as motherboard, mobo, Xeon, Pentium, P4, SATA, Athlon, Opteron.

Downchild
04-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Ji thanks for the timely reply.
That no p4 thing really threw me for a loop..we had dual p3
's,and dual xeons at the same time ,,

maybe dual amd is the way to go.....

Paul Lara
04-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Downchild
maybe dual amd is the way to go.....

That's not recommended by NewTek, Downchild.

Downchild
04-29-2004, 10:44 AM
I probably have known that had NewTek answered ANY of my emails.

Do they treat current customers like prospective ones?

Ive writtn to customer service and even vp of sales..nada.

Maybe they have post-NAB hangovers

Jim Capillo
04-29-2004, 11:26 AM
I probably have known that had NewTek answered ANY of my emails.

Do they treat current customers like prospective ones?

Ive writtn to customer service and even vp of sales..nada.

Maybe they have post-NAB hangovers

I'm not sure if you know who Paul Lara is, but he is an employee of Newtek, and I'm guessing he is passing on official Newtek recommendations to you.

Downchild
04-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Yes I could tell by his location.

I was being sarcastic- I am having a bad week and would really like to get a vt3 but since the city I live in small so I know no one with a vt3 and hte new newtek supplier ( we finally got one)
seems to have no answers except that I should buy a 550$ sata raid controller from him which is also not recommended by newtek ( he says he was on vt3 betaforce team) I am getting frustrated.

Motherboard dealers will reply to my emails but they just refer me to Newtek.

My apologies to everyone for ranting.

Ill stay away from the forum until I blissfully get my VT3 up
and running.

i dont want to make a name for myself as a whiner.( Is it too late? :))

Best Regards

Jim Capillo
04-29-2004, 01:49 PM
There are many threads here that discuss the minimum (and maximum) requirements for the VT. I would suggest you set an hour or two aside and cull them out.

There are so many variables that could affect your design considerations, no one answer may be correct. Live switching, DV, multi-layer editing...... those all affect what the minimum equipment considerations will be. What do you propose to use your system for?

I will offer this - call one of the many fine dealers that Newtek has.

My dealer, Blaine, will take the time and explain what your minimum equipment needs will be. He has built many systems and has shipped them all over the world.

http://www.videohardware.com

As far as being labeled a whiner, I'm sure most guys here will give you a free pass - this time ;) :p

The best way to get info here is to ask in a polite way. There are many computer/VT/LW gurus that frequent here that are more than willing to give out info/hints. Those that are demanding and/or abrasive are far more likely to hear nothing but silence in response to their questions.

Your choice.

Downchild
04-30-2004, 12:43 AM
First Downchild is a blues band from Toronto who have been plying together for over 30 years. Some emails I have recived seem to refer to someone who I am not

Thank you all for your responses, especialy those that recommended contacting a tournkey system builder-
I have decided to go that route and spend 1/3 of my yearly income but Im positive thats better than spending it all on grass. I'm serious, sam.

I have learned what Newtek speaks of its community- how it has a user base is helpful and responsive.'IT™" has a life of its own In 3 days I had dozens of well meaning people helping- and again I say, I appreciate that and hope to reciprocate. Not a peep from Newtek Yet "IT'™ still lives on without them.

'It™" can move or change...for 'IT™" is ultimitely in controll.
Too bad Newtek doesnt realise it isnt part of 'IT™'.. You business types think about that and get back to me.

If i write my vt question from a digital extremes smtp would I get an answer? After all they have almost as many lw seats as people have hands. It works for lw support. A shew w/in a shew.

DC
London, On Canada

Paul Lara
04-30-2004, 08:08 AM
Ill stay away from the forum until I blissfully get my VT3 up
and running.

...which would be counter to the purpose of the forums as well as leading to potential confusion during your build-out.

Feel free to e-mail me
plara -at- newtek -dot- com
with your workflow needs and I'll be happy to assist you.

-Paul Lara
NewTek Inc.
VT[3] product manager

Downchild
04-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Thank You Mr Lara but at this point am am still discussing options for a turnkey system so I wont end the week with no hair left.

I also recieved an email I from Irene King with the name of a second
Newtek distributor who I had not known about also 2 hours away

She gave me some details I needed as well information on a second reseller i had not known about both in Toronto but worth the 2 hour trip out there.

Interestingly she asked me who the Newtek reseller was who was suggestiong I purchase a 550$ sata raid controller from him
I dont think she ws happy.

I guess I should have waited for a couple more days for emails before I flew into a rage but, I am VERY exitied about purchasing
a vt3- its an amazing product and I hate being confused.

Driving to Toronto tomorow to see 2 resllers and make a deal if
its in budget. Going to take my xl1 for fun.

Have a great Weekend!

SBowie
04-30-2004, 12:19 PM
London, On Canada DC - there are numerous good reasons for a turnkey system, not least being the dealer's long experience with the specifics of the product and its users.

Most of the time you will find that those new folk in here tearing their hair out are those who decided to go DIY. Those with competent dealers don't have those kind of issues, and if they do have trouble have a friend only a phone call away. This is not to say a capable end-user can't put together a killer system, because they can -- but all too often they make decisions based on poor advice and/or a lack of in depth product knowledge, and then have to live with the consequences.

ted
04-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Downchild, I'm so glad to see you going with a turnkey system. Like you, my time and serenity are more important then saving a few dollars.

Don't go cheap on the motherboard. At this time, SuperMicro has been a solid standard and has worked for us well on our 3 systems.

Even with a good dealer, the smart people on these forums will save you many times.
I'm always humbled by the knowledge of the people here.

Downchild
05-01-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by SBowie

Regards, Steve

LIGHTWORX Graphics & Video, Toronto
(416)633-0191 NewTek Authorized
[email protected] http://www.vtworx.com

Steve

When you check Newtek's page for resellers it limits the number
on a page to be continued by selecting - perhaps i should have hit the 'Get next Matches button' you are on page 2 :)

Newtek®It™'s everywhere.

Who, knows our paths might cross yet. The SX-8 isnt in the budget yet and probably wont be for a good 9 months, unless
you take Canadian Tire Money.

Will work for Hardware™

SBowie
05-01-2004, 05:22 AM
When you check Newtek's page for resellers it limits the number on a page to be continued by selecting - perhaps i should have hit the 'Get next Matches button' you are on page 2 :)
Tell me about it -- the only significant competitor I have is double-listed, under both the "A's" and the "V's". Being listed with an A (though no-one ever uses that name for the firm AFAIK) gets him on page one, while my single "V" entry relegates me to the rear.

I've complained vigorously about it for years, and do in fact also operate as Avioworx, which you would think would legitimately get me the same privilege -- but no-one at NewTek seems to give a rat's #$$. (Yes, I'm cranky about this, especially before my AM coffee.) I must not have kissed the appropriate nether regions...

liuna
05-01-2004, 05:33 AM
:D