PDA

View Full Version : Interactive modeller backdrop image placement

retinajoy
04-28-2004, 10:15 AM
It would be very useful if I could position a bg image in a modeller viewport by using the mouse to drag into position. Then using scale/transform handles to size it right. This would make workflow a lot faster and I could instead use the numeric box for fine tuning if needed.

Lynx3d
04-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Oh yea, it's somewhat tedious adjusting backdrops...i use them a lot too. But then again i'm glad LW does have basic adjustments for backdrops, seems like that's not even standard in other packages.

And if i might add one request, could you please give each loaded object its own set of backdrop images? Pleeeeaaaase :D

Karmacop
04-28-2004, 12:45 PM
I totally agree. I don't know why some things like this are still so unusable.

Exper
04-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Cos final users are not core developers! :D

Kuzey
04-28-2004, 06:42 PM
I would also like to see a recent "backdrop" popup menu that displays all the saved backdrops :p

Another thing, it would be so cool if a backdrop loads automatically when you load an associated object/project.

Kuzey

Mylenium
04-28-2004, 11:41 PM
Hehe, good points here. Personally I also very much like Maya's concept of image planes. This way you can even use "distorted" normal photographs from any angle as reference. It should not be so tedious to set it up like in Maya, though, and would of course require something like construction planes to make it real usefull.

Mylenium

Danner
04-28-2004, 11:57 PM
besides having the backdrop saved with the object it would be cool if we could have a choice of having a different backdrop per layer.

retinajoy
04-29-2004, 02:17 AM
..good ideas. How about several BG image layers available per layer? One bg layer could be the main drawing, but being able to overlay with a 2nd bg layer of a more detailed tech drawing could be useful to help modelling finer details, especially when the client gives you scaled drawings but without the measurements. The ability to set transparency values for these layers would need including too.

I know we have invert, but being able to change the point colour would help us see more clearly where we place our points over a bg image.

Nemoid
05-01-2004, 04:39 AM
Good points these enhancements will madly increase the workfow for sure ! maybe also a RMB contextual menu could help to process the images: brightness resolution etc.

CB_3D
05-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Also it should support up to 1600*1024px. Not sure if the current 1024 res is an openGL limit, but i often feel that i need more for my technical and architectural work.

Lynx3d
05-01-2004, 06:57 AM
Don't think it's an OpenGL limit, rather a video card limit.
But cards starting at GeForce/Radeon series should all support 2048*2048, newer cards 4096*4096. But you could just cut the image in smaller portions, only problem is that the texture memory of the video card will be full very quickly...

Mylenium
05-01-2004, 08:20 AM
No, that's not really a matter of the graphics card, either. It's just a poor implementation. If your graphics card can't do it, you could always have all OpenGL functions as software emulation. You would hardly notice the slowdown on todays fast machines - loading the big image file from the disc takes longer than creating the display buffer. Also the user should not have to split up the image. Automatic tile/ chunk creation is in every game thes days and should be pretty simple to do in a non-realtime environment as well. I think there is even a predefined function for exactly this sort of stuff in OpenGL.

Mylenium

Karmacop
05-01-2004, 08:43 AM
There's also the famous hack of splitting an image into multiple images. ie, instead of displaying one 2048*2048 image they'd display 4 1024*1024 images in a grid. As far as I know, there's no limit on texture size in open gl, it is a hardware issue though. But really, it's not that hard to get around, it's just lazy programming.

Joske
10-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Summary :

- Interactive placement using mouse to scale and move backdrop (Rhino 3D method!!!)
- On/Off switch to show/hide backdrop (also in Rhino3D!)
- Saving backdrop with object.

That's wat WE are waiting for.

Kvaalen
10-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Nice ideas. It would also be nice to be able drag drop images from an explorer wondow. Not sure if this is possible though.

GruvSyco
10-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Curious... minus the drag and drop... couldn't one just create planes on a layer, map the image to that plane, adjust the size however you like and then toggle that layer on and off, as needed?

Lewis
10-31-2004, 12:33 PM
Hmm ideas are interesting and could be very usefull but i don't agree that we need option to save image with object :).

Is it really so hard to load preset file of already saved backdrops when you were working on certian object ? I keep them in same directory of object i'm working on so loading isn't tedious - just two clicks and all 3 of my backgdrops are in position. If they include save image with object what format that would be ? LWO file format sure can't do that and i woulnd't liek to do it that way (what if i use 5MB image and object is only 150K , then i save object several times (object.001, object.002 ....) in various stages. Then each of my files would be insaneously big with no particular reason :).

Also it sure would cause problems for 3D object translators since i belive that NT would need to change format type to LWO3 or something like that (current is LWO2 if we consider pre Lw6.0 as LWO). As you know LW 5.6 can't use LW6----> format so NT would probably break compatibility :(.

Then several 3D transating programs would need to upgrade their SW for new format and it'll take too much time to do all that.

Other suggestions are nice :)

I'd also suggest "flush backdrops" button to clear then on all viewports at one click :)

P.S. About resizing them with handles it's nice but you can do similar thing as litlle trick/workaraound right now. make CUBE/BOX object and resize it as you woud to be resized backdrop image. Then load images in BCK and hit "Automatic size" button in Backdrop panel and images ar einstantly streached to yout BOX object size :). I usualy work with real workd measures (cars) so i can make BOX in real proportions and i know my blueprints will be right sized and proper scaled after that.

pauland
10-31-2004, 03:41 PM
Hehe, good points here. Personally I also very much like Maya's concept of image planes. This way you can even use "distorted" normal photographs from any angle as reference. It should not be so tedious to set it up like in Maya, though, and would of course require something like construction planes to make it real usefull.

Mylenium

You can always use another package to correct the distortion ..

pauland
10-31-2004, 03:45 PM
It would be very useful if I could position a bg image in a modeller viewport by using the mouse to drag into position. Then using scale/transform handles to size it right. This would make workflow a lot faster and I could instead use the numeric box for fine tuning if needed.

It's very easy to set the BG images to the right size, once you know a simple trick. Make a rectangle to the correct size, then auto size the backdrops to that, then save them and delete the rectangle.

I think that the BG image handling isn't great, but it's good enough not to be a big deal. I rather that they work on other stuff, rather than a something that really isn't a big problem and is a minuscule part of the workflow.

Paul