PDA

View Full Version : Render size for TV ads??

AngelDream
04-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Surelysome of you have experience in tv ads, I have a couple of questions:
1) What should be my render size for a PAL system?? I know the camerahas the preset PAL 720x576, is it ok?
2) in PAL the system renders the odd fields first, right?

The other thing is a problem: I have used FX_Linker to...do that we all know. It's a series of small objects falling down. After all of the objects are fallen, sometimes, when it renders, an object stands on the video flickering, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?!?! I've tried everything but it appears randomly, now you see it, now you don't. Not in every render, not in the same frames and sometimes. Is it a problem of the FX_Linker?? Can I "drop" the objects with their motion path remaining the same? Using the make key when using FX_Linker makes my objects dissapear, and using the Make Key from the modifiers of the motion options creates too many keys. Any help is WELCOME!!! Thanks in advance.

Elio Rivero

Inspiration will come to you... but it will find you working...

AngelDream
04-28-2004, 12:36 PM
somebody??

WizCraker
04-28-2004, 04:33 PM
There is a PAL setting in the camera setup properties. The UK people can tell you the correct size if you are looking for exact dimensions.

Can't help you with Fields usually don't even bother with them.

AngelDream
04-28-2004, 04:50 PM
OK, thanks. According to Dan Ablan and some other guys, Field rendering is vital for TV production.

amon_g
04-28-2004, 05:14 PM
I render out for NTSC with Premiere. So here's a list of the resolutions for NTSC and PAL taken from Premiere.

DV - NTSC
STANDARD - 720x480; pixel aspect ratio of D1/DV NTSC 4:3 Interlaced Lower Field First

WIDESCREEN - 720x480; D1/DV NTSC 16:9 Interlaced Lower Field First

DV - PAL
STANDARD - 720x576; DV1/DV PAL 4:3 Interlaced Lower Field First

WIDESCREEN - 720x576; DV1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 Interlaced Lower Field First

AngelDream
04-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks amon. I suppose the lower field is the odd field in LW. thanks.

WizCraker
04-28-2004, 05:35 PM
I just give the frames to the compositors and they do their magic.

amon_g
04-29-2004, 04:23 AM
AngelDream, I was just going through one of my books to answer that question for you, and I came across this. PAL is even first, NTSC is odd first. Seems to conflict with the settings I gave earlier, but... Also, I guess the best thing to do, although it's a pain in the butt, is to render a sample out using both field rendering options, print it to tape and try it out on your TV.

I think what WizCraker might have meant by not worrying about the fields was summed up in the second post about the compositors :) That's typically how I work. I'll render something out in LW and then take it all into AfterEffects for compositing and the final product is rendered out in Premiere. So, I let Premiere take care of all the field rendering too.

Anyway, I wish I could have been more help.

Lightwolf
04-29-2004, 04:54 AM
Hi there,
720x576 is correct, the fielding depends on what you'll play out on.
DV is lower first (odd), Beta Digi Beta etc (basically all "pro" tape and editings systems) use upper first (even).

Cheers,
Mike

AngelDream
04-29-2004, 06:52 AM
Thanks everyone. Indeed, I'm rendering the video with no compression, and I'm delivering it to the tv channel guys so they, don't know, do something in Premiere and compress with some codec if they want to. Thanks amon, for the field info.

The reason I'm using field rendering is because what Dan Ablan says in his book. He says that, for example, if you're using motion blur, you should use it. Why? because the motion info could be lost if the motion blurs occurs between two frames, since field rendering renders interlaced frames in two fields, you can effectively hold this info. In other words, your motions and blurs play smoother. What do you think?
I'll render both just to find out what's the truth in this world of us.

PS:wait, what about that stupid "fx_linked" object that randomly appears around?

Lightwolf
04-29-2004, 08:40 AM
Hi there,
can't help you with stoopid FX_Link, but I prefer to render in fields too most of the time, especially if you have fast motion, it does make it look so much smoother.

Of course, if you want a more filmish look, use frames, but then you'd need a higher and smoother motion blur, and a bit of grain to pull the illusion off.

Cheers,
Mike