PDA

View Full Version : REQ: Enchanced/smart backdrops for viewports

isnowboard
03-20-2003, 07:53 PM
When I set up a reference image, I would like to have it saved. My problem with the current setup is that when I map different view port options with the "ctrl / numberpad" solution, it gets lost.

For example, spend the time lining up the backdrop reference image in the quad view, save it out as a preset. I have a quad view mapped to my "4" key and a double horizontal view mapped to my "5" key. I want to work in the quad view, jump over to the double horizontal view without losing my background reference image, without having to go d, backdrops, presets etc.

Why can't the image just stay in the "back" view and the "right" view regardless on how many times I change to customized viewports.

I've asked if I was indeed missing something and was told the only work around was to map the image to a box. But, for some reason, I think having the backdrop/image plane option smarter is a better way and not that hard to implement for programmers. Thank you and hope this request is taken seriously.

If there is something I'm missing to solve this problem, please let me know.

Mylenium
03-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Hi there,

What you describe is exactly the way it worked back then until v 5.6. I don't know, why they changed it. Once more the blame must go to the (not so powerful) implementation of OpenGL and its limitations. I really, really would love to have the old software only drawing routines back as an option - it would minimize clipping and allow larger bg-images. On todays machines one wouldn't probably worry too much about losing hardware acceleration in the respective viewports.

Mylenium