PDA

View Full Version : Left-Handed Artists

Edbittner
03-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Just curious, but I was wondering, besides myself, how many of my fellow "Wavers" are left handed?
Ed
( I LOVE THIS STUFF)!

Rory_L
03-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Hello Ed,
I started a poll about this a month or two back. I love this stuff, too! Have a look:-

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=315&highlight=Hands%2A

Cheers,

R

faulknermano
03-20-2003, 10:42 PM
i'm not left-handed, but fwiw i'm

1.) i'm left-footed (when i play football / soccer, that's my primary kicking feet)

2.) i use a 'southpaw' stance (as in boxing / jkd)

:p

Rory_L
03-20-2003, 10:58 PM
When it comes to football, I`ve got two left feet! :D

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 12:16 AM
I'm a lefty. As far as I know, we're only like 5% of the population.

Rory_L
03-21-2003, 04:19 AM
Yes, but I think it`s more than double that within artistic communities like here. My poll`s standing at somewhere around the 20% mark, but I take that with a pinch of salt. Ed the horse, please raise your hoof! :D

R

wizlon
03-21-2003, 04:25 AM
Yep

Edbittner
03-21-2003, 05:32 AM
I Don't really mean to waste anyones time, or take up valuable space. Just curious. Actually, I was,( as someone has previously stated), wondering what the ratio of left-handed to right-handed "wavers" was within this community. It's been maintained by some that, most right-handed artists create art because they like to, while most left-handed artists create art because they have to. Oh well, no biggy.........
Ed
( I LOVE THIS STUFF)!

videoMinistry
03-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Left

Rory_L
03-22-2003, 01:26 AM
Oliver`s experience is the norm here in Japan. Left handed children are forced to be right handed. A Japanese lefty is rare indeed.

R

cresshead
03-22-2003, 09:10 AM
yup, left handed...

steve g

rabid pitbull
03-22-2003, 11:27 AM
well, when my uncle was a child in private school(in the 50's) the nuns used to smack his hand with a ruler when he tried to write left handed!

:eek:

Digital_red
03-22-2003, 02:16 PM
I find being left handed works well with a pc. My left hand works the mouse/tablet while my right hand works the keyboard. I find the usual key configs in most 3d soft works well for me. My hand hovers over Alt, ctrl and shift on the far left of the keyboard that gives me the usual view pan/tilt/rotate controls. Holding shift and ctrl together (in Lightwave) gives me access to the popup menus in which I keep move, rotate as well as camera, bones, objects mode in there.

As for games (mainly Counter-Strike) I use:
D =forwards
C =backwards
X =left
V =right
Alt =crouch
Space =jump
S = Speak
Z =reload
Ctrl =walk

Being a lefty is ok. Until you have to use a can opener or cut with scissors then everything falls apart

theosmekhanes
03-22-2003, 09:51 PM
I'm Ambi.

Ambidextrous that is. I don't like multi button mice and sometimes while eating with a knife and fork, I try to put the wrong peace of cutlery in my mouth (yeowch!)

At work I have a mouse on the left and a tablet on the right...I just wish I could use both at the same time..If only computers would recognize dual input... Now if I could learn to type with my tounge, Hmmmm... ;)

lord
03-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Absolutely Left-Handed, and therefore in the superior 5% of the population.

faulknermano
03-23-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by theosmekhanes
I'm Ambi.

Ambidextrous that is. I don't like multi button mice and sometimes while eating with a knife and fork, I try to put the wrong peace of cutlery in my mouth (yeowch!)

At work I have a mouse on the left and a tablet on the right...I just wish I could use both at the same time..If only computers would recognize dual input... Now if I could learn to type with my tounge, Hmmmm... ;)

that sooo cool! i've always wanted to be ambidextrous (and i also wanted to be an F1 car driver when i was kid :rolleyes: ). being able to use on one hand a mouse, and on another a tablet! wow.. :D

the next challenge would be probably getting your feet to do some interfacing, instead of your tongue. kinda unsavory and not to mention unhygenic for those who might need to use the keyboard. unless of course that was our intention. :D

Lynx3d
03-23-2003, 07:15 AM
left handed too over here!

I belive in reality it's far more than 5%, actually in my school class there were always like 3 left handed on 30 pupils, so that were already 10%, and if you count the ones that were "motivated" to use the right hand...

However i use my mouse with the right hand...but my tablet pen of course with the left :D

colkai
03-24-2003, 01:19 PM
I'm left handed, so is my wife.
I found it difficult finding good left-hand guitars as shops stock so very few of them. In the end , I hand a couple hand-crafted for me by a very good furrier (sp?) in the region.

One bonus of us both being left-handed is we tend to be creative and think in similar ways. I've always found lefties think a little different (better? :p ).
-Colkai

Lynx3d
03-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Yea something with the right and left halves of the brain having different functions etc. blablah...

One of our art techers at school tried to train the individual parts by letting us copy images upside down and crazy stuff like that :D

Rory_L
03-24-2003, 11:18 PM
That`s not crazy: it`s a very good drawing exercise and makes one realise how much of life- and still life drawing`s coming out of our imagination and expectations and how little is from real observation! If it`s upside down it`s harder to recognise for what it is, so we tend to draw what we really see and not just what we expect to see.

Related subject: anyone here use a mirror to get a fresh view of the thing you`re drawing? I`m always holding one up to my monitor to find the faults. Most of my colleagues think I`m nuts...though I`m not sure it`s for this reason. :D

R

colkai
03-25-2003, 03:50 AM
I've done the digital equivalent, flipped it in a paint program. My wife, (an artist), is always doing that, from prelim sketch to final setup, she uses it to figure out if all is going well.
She also gets me to take a digicam shot and turn it into greyscale to see if the contrast and balance are working out. Another trick you can apply to your renders.
Only difference between me and her, she's naturally gifted dammit :D