PDA

View Full Version : model difficult for LW

Johnny
02-11-2003, 07:28 AM
I am modeling a bathroom faucet (sort of the old-fashioned kind) and have one spigot made..

Layout seems to be choking bigtime on showing me the preview while I move cameras and adjust lighting.

I started the 4 handles of the spigot from fairly highly-divided spheres (24x24) and wonder if this could be the culprit?

any thoughts would be a help!

Johnny

Zarathustra
02-11-2003, 08:39 AM
2 things come to mind - polys and video card. First off, how many polys are there in the model(s)? if if you're sub-ding them, there doesn't have to be a great deal. Also, you should open the object properties window and set render display to 1 or even 0 so you can move things around a lot faster.

I have an upgraded dual 500, so I probably had the same card as you do now. I got a Mac Radeon 8500(I think that's the #) this past fall and it made a BIG difference.

mlinde
02-11-2003, 01:13 PM
If you have serious slowdown in Layout, make sure your Display Subpatch Level is low (3 is the default, you could set it to less or more). As Z mentioned, your polygon count may be very high. You shouldn't need 24 patches per spigot handle, you can work with less and just increase the render subpatch level in Layout when you render the final image. You might also try changing your bounding box threshold in display options, and your viewport options (front-face shade/wireframe/etc.)

Video cards will help to some extent, RAM will help to some extent, but really polygon control is important.

Chazz
02-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Another thought....I have a simliar setup only with a GeForce card. I tend to work in Shaded mode instead of Textured Shaded mode...having texture maps turned off makes the display a lot zippier.

Johnny
02-11-2003, 08:27 PM
you know, after reading your comments, I think that it MUST be my poly count..I think I went nuts in the interest of getting smoothness, and in trying to kill those wierd puckers that sometimes happen at the end of a sphere or sphere shape.

I'm going to re-model at a lower patch level..

thanks!

J

Jimzip
02-12-2003, 06:20 PM
If you get weird puckers, (and I'm assuming you're referring to the triangular polys at the tops of default spheres) then next time you create a sphere, open the numeric window and make it tesselated! You can subpatch it nicely and with smoothing on it's nicer than the default spheres.
Good luck!
Jimzip:D