PDA

View Full Version : LW[8] = Stealth Release?

Cruci
04-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Just wondering why there is no hooplah about LW[8] being released?

Nothing I can see on the front page.

Products/Lightwave3D has the same LW[8] preview page, beta screenshots, and the pre-order upgrade special (How long has that "limited time" been now??)

Nothing on CGChannel.com about it's release - Sure, they're pushing Maya 6 and XSI 4 at the moment, but LW[8] would still get a big mention I'm sure...

I've seen posts saying people have received it, but as someone who has CapEx approved to purchase [8] when it comes out, I didn't expect to have to wade through the forums to find out that the product is out!

And does the release of [8] now mean that 7.5D will never happen? Wasn't it "about to be released" ages ago? Whatever happened to the beta testing? Or did Apples release of 10.3.3 mean that Newtek didn't need to fix it anymore? I know the Graph Editor problem is fixed, but it's be nice not to be able to use the mouse as a mouse, not as a tablet.

Sorry, that came across more ranty than I wanted.

Hurben
04-26-2004, 08:18 PM
No-one even had any idea Alias were releasing Maya 6.. and BAM! right up there on CGChannel, solid as a rock..

I'm feeling weirdly dubious about Newtek's technique for marketing and dealing with their customers. Surely they could do better.

Cruci
04-26-2004, 08:22 PM
I think Softimage must have known, because XSI 4 seemed to appear at the same time...

You'd think major new releases of 3 of the most used 3D apps in the world would generate some hype...

Well, I guess 2 out of 3...

Matt
04-27-2004, 01:53 AM
It's already been mentioned that LW8 hasn't been officially released yet.

Cruci
04-27-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Matt
It's already been mentioned that LW8 hasn't been officially released yet.

Where?

Not officially released yet, but customers are getting it in the mail?

Certainly a strange way of doing it, but I guess it's good that people who have paid for it are finally getting it.

Maybe the Newtek marketing droids weren't ready for how soon the product would be completed...

Yeah, that must be it...;>

Matt
04-27-2004, 03:30 AM
On the forum, the customers who are receiving it now are those who pre-ordered it, if anyone else wanted to buy it from a reseller they can't just yet.

Manuals are still being printed etc. once all that is done it will be released with a proper fanfare only NewTek can do! :)

Hurben
04-27-2004, 03:40 AM
we will see.. we will see.. :p

spec24
04-27-2004, 06:31 AM
yeah well I preordered it and haven't seen anything yet. I shouldn't be surprised as customer service and technical support are about as helpful as dripping crazy glue into your hard drive. It takes about 3 emails for anyone to ever write back, and by the 3rd of course your p.o.'ed, and then you feel like a jerk. Never got my UVEdit Pro or any email referring to it. So I had to write customer service.... 3 times... until I finally got it. In my email I also mentioned I had not received a "address confirmation" that they talked about. The guy who wrote to me made no mention of that. I can't tell you how often this occurs with trying to get information out of them. So I'm not going to be surprised if I do not receive my copy of LW8 until after everyone has their boxed version and they're starting to release LW 8.5 - by then maybe Newtek will respond and actually send it to me.

Martok
04-27-2004, 03:26 PM
i heard at NAB2004 from William Vaughan, that the product is shipping out. i'm trying to understand is this shipping for the upgrade ver or the Full pack?

in anycase waiting without a release date is making me nevus :S

Jirapong
04-27-2004, 04:57 PM
I preordered too and din't get even UV pro edit. So, I don't hope on the 8 releasing at all. As you guys mentioned, no public relation present this time, no Newtek website up date, no other websites talkingabout it. Most of all, no email response from Newtek too. It's kind of strange for Newtek marketing. Most software companies post and announce the release of their software before the final releasng when the time is right. (NAB) but not again nothing from Newtek.
Do people who got LW8 exist? or it's just triacky things posted on the web by insiders.
I'm sure Newtek does exist but not quite sure about it future now.

I will never never never buy the pre-release again. Not to mention the software doesn't exist, but the company that do this might not existing by the time it reease either.

Silkrooster
04-27-2004, 09:26 PM
I read somewheres that everyone who had pre ordered LW8 was going to receive it before there was an Official statement made to the public

Martok
04-28-2004, 03:42 AM
I also work in a software dev company and we have the same prob here, we cant release the product officaly without making sure all majur bugs r fixed, i think Newtek is rapping up the product making sure future complaint or critics will be miner on this release.

i need to point out that as far as the release date gose the wosrt the reputation of the company will get. not to mention if they call for delays. and i'm sure newtek are are well aware of that!